GDT: Exhibition • April 24 • Canada vs. France • 3-2 final

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
I was at the game :)

Great crowd (about 13.000) and a lot of fun.
The ice wasn't very good (hot day in Paris) and Canada had some troubles in defense in the 1st period.
France played really, really well, far better than I expected. Huet was sharp, but the while team is waaaay better than in 2008. Huge progress for our NT.

1st goal is a deflection from Nash : Pietrangelo during a line change sends a long pass to Duchesne, who shoots and Nash deflects.
France tie the game with d-man Hecquefeuille (a former center) with a blast high.
Canada scores again just after that (PP was very good) with a good passing play for an open net to Spezza.
But France reacts and a very good shift, with several chances on Dubnyk, finished in the net by Stephane Da Costa.
France had to defend a long 5 on 3 and Huet was excellent.
A late penalty was a killer though, and Chris Stewart finishes the game with 1:30 remaining, with an open net.

Canada has some work to do : Burns and Schenn were really good. Phaneuf started really slowly (3 turnovers in the first 10 minutes) but was better later on. In front, Nash was huge, Duchesne had a lot of speed.

It was a fun game and I have more hopes for France now : we could make something good vs Belarus and who knows for the other games :)

What number is Duchene wearing?

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
I was at the game :)

Great crowd (about 13.000) and a lot of fun.
The ice wasn't very good (hot day in Paris) and Canada had some troubles in defense in the 1st period.
France played really, really well, far better than I expected. Huet was sharp, but the while team is waaaay better than in 2008. Huge progress for our NT.

1st goal is a deflection from Nash : Pietrangelo during a line change sends a long pass to Duchesne, who shoots and Nash deflects.
France tie the game with d-man Hecquefeuille (a former center) with a blast high.
Canada scores again just after that (PP was very good) with a good passing play for an open net to Spezza.
But France reacts and a very good shift, with several chances on Dubnyk, finished in the net by Stephane Da Costa.
France had to defend a long 5 on 3 and Huet was excellent.
A late penalty was a killer though, and Chris Stewart finishes the game with 1:30 remaining, with an open net.

Canada has some work to do : Burns and Schenn were really good. Phaneuf started really slowly (3 turnovers in the first 10 minutes) but was better later on. In front, Nash was huge, Duchesne had a lot of speed.

It was a fun game and I have more hopes for France now : we could make something good vs Belarus and who knows for the other games :)

Thanks for the update.

I'm not panicking about this. This was the first game in about three weeks so I can see how the game was close.

Really happy to hear about Burns. This guy gets underrated so much on this forum. He's the only star defenseman we have.

Grabovski

Aug 12, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
I don't know why people are worried about this result. I mean its a exhibition match that doesn't mean anything. They were just taking it slow, not wanting to get injured ect.. Plus they are in Paris, I mean they do want to party too! :P

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Well France has been in the top group for a few years now, and theyre starting to produce more guys in high level European leagues (and obviously NHL quality like Huet and potentially Da Costa), so given the travel issue and the home ice advantage, not that surprising to be honest.

Purple hippo

Jan 3, 2010
Louvain-la-Neuve
Does anyone know the other numbers that were worn by Canada players

2 - Luke Schenn
3 - Dion Phaneuf
5 - Brent Burns
7 - Mario Scalzo
8 - Evender Kane
9 - Matt Duchene
10 - Antoine Vermette
12 - Cal Clutterbuck
14 - Jordan Eberle
15 - Travis Zajac
16 - Rick Nash
19 - Jason Spezza
21 - John Tavares
22 - Chris Stewart
23 - Marc Methot
25 - Jeff Skinner
26 - Andrew Ladd
27 - Alex Pietrangelo
30 - Devan Dubnyk
31 - James Reimer

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
2 - Luke Schenn
3 - Dion Phaneuf
5 - Brent Burns
7 - Mario Scalzo
8 - Evender Kane
9 - Matt Duchene
10 - Antoine Vermette
12 - Cal Clutterbuck
14 - Jordan Eberle
15 - Travis Zajac
16 - Rick Nash
19 - Jason Spezza
21 - John Tavares
22 - Chris Stewart
23 - Marc Methot
25 - Jeff Skinner
26 - Andrew Ladd
27 - Alex Pietrangelo
30 - Devan Dubnyk
31 - James Reimer

Thx man, would you happen to know if Reimer and Dubynk were wearing their masks from their respective teams or did they good new designs for the tournament? And what about their pads?

Purple hippo

Jan 3, 2010
Louvain-la-Neuve
Thx man, would you happen to know if Reimer and Dubynk were wearing their masks from their respective teams or did they good new designs for the tournament? And what about their pads?

Your welcome and I dont have a picture of Reimer but Dubynk dosnt have anything special, just his Edmonton mask and pads.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Who the hell is Mario Scalzo?

26 year old defenseman who led Adler Mannheim (DEL) in scoring this season, committed to Biel in NLA next season apparently.

I think the only reason he got added to the roster was to fill it out for the game, although the precedent for a Europe based defender is there, last one was Cory Murphy at the 07 Worlds.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
2 - Luke Schenn
3 - Dion Phaneuf
5 - Brent Burns
7 - Mario Scalzo
8 - Evender Kane
9 - Matt Duchene
10 - Antoine Vermette
12 - Cal Clutterbuck
14 - Jordan Eberle
15 - Travis Zajac
16 - Rick Nash
19 - Jason Spezza
21 - John Tavares
22 - Chris Stewart
23 - Marc Methot
25 - Jeff Skinner
26 - Andrew Ladd
27 - Alex Pietrangelo
30 - Devan Dubnyk
31 - James Reimer

I heard the numbers are changing for the actual tourney.
Duchene said on twitter he was only wearing 9 for the pre-games, and was wearing 92 for the tourney. Maybe Nash will go back to 61, ive heard Tavares will wear 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->