Excuses over. Barry Trotz available (no longer available)

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Most of what I've read is this had much more to do with money than anything else. He wanted a bigger pay bump than Washington was willing to give so he walked. His salary as requested would've made him the third highest paid coach in the league.

I'd be surprised if he's not behind an NHL bench again next season. As for that being in Chicago, I like Trotz and respect him but I think I'd pass.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Trotz, who is guilty of plenty of what many people say Q is dumb and outdated for?

People have been saying Q is a no btainer for their teams when hes gone from the Hawks with the same lazy mindset.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
Good idea. Let's trade in a 3 time Stanley Cup Champion for an underachiever that managed to finally win the cup over a first year expansion team.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
No way is this team paying $11 million in coaches.
I'd rather have Q over Trotz, honestly. And let Colliton be groomed some more.

Groomed how exactly? We certainly don't want Colliton "groomed" by Q. By Trotz? Perhaps yes.

But you guys are probably right. Q stays as a business decision. The UC is regularly full, Q has an inflated contract and Trotz will be asking for a similar salary. It seems apparent that team success becomes secondary until the bottom line is adversely affected. Dollar Bill would be proud.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Grass is not always greener, ppl. I do admit Q NEEDS to be on the hot seat this season but there is no legitimate reason to fire Q right now and hire Trotz. That's a move, just to make a move.

Now if Q is fired during the season then Trotz should be the top of Hawks wish list.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Grass is not always greener, ppl. I do admit Q NEEDS to be on the hot seat this season but there is no legitimate reason to fire Q right now and hire Trotz. That's a move, just to make a move.

Now if Q is fired during the season then Trotz should be the top of Hawks wish list.

"but there is no legitimate reason to fire Q right now and hire Trotz. That's a move, just to make a move."

... you can't possibly be serious.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Leaving 10M on the table isn't necessarily a very family oriented decision.

Trotz had a clause in his contract that called for a 2 year extension and a measly 300k raise (1.5 million to 1.8 million) if the Caps win the cup. If and when Trotz finds another hockey team to coach...his first order of business is to find a new agent.

Last edited:

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
"but there is no legitimate reason to fire Q right now and hire Trotz. That's a move, just to make a move."

... you can't possibly be serious.

Do you really fire head coaches, especially ones with Q's resume in the middle of the summer? That's a big F-you from the organization to Q. One this Blackhawk organization will not make. It's a move for the sake a move. So unless Q's has been banging Stan's wife, there is not one legitimate reason to fire Q in the MIDDLE OF THE FREAKING SUMMER. How hard is that to understand?

I get people want Q out of Chicago badly, but be reasonable. Firing Q now, is neither smart or practical. Just vindictive.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Do you really fire head coaches, especially ones with Q's resume in the middle of the summer? That's a big F-you from the organization to Q. One this Blackhawk organization will not make. It's a move for the sake a move. So unless Q's has been banging Stan's wife, there is not one legitimate reason to fire Q in the MIDDLE OF THE FREAKING SUMMER. How hard is that to understand?

I get people want Q out of Chicago badly, but be reasonable. Firing Q now, is neither smart or practical. Just vindictive.
Firing Q now may not be smart or practical but I wouldn't call it vindictive. 3 years of progressively worse PO showings are a reflection of the aging, tiring core but also of the coaching system implemented. Q's days are numbered ... and I would think there is a fairly good chance he will be gone by the end of this upcoming year ... if not sooner. And regarding Trotz .. he is a stand up guy and I like him but he is not for the Hawks at this point in time from my perspective.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Groomed how exactly? We certainly don't want Colliton "groomed" by Q. By Trotz? Perhaps yes.

But you guys are probably right. Q stays as a business decision. The UC is regularly full, Q has an inflated contract and Trotz will be asking for a similar salary. It seems apparent that team success becomes secondary until the bottom line is adversely affected. Dollar Bill would be proud.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Q. I guess the word I should have used is "developed". He needs to develop within the organization, based upon how Stan wants to build a team, by coaching in Rockford. I imagine you probably knew that, but felt like bitching about Q.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I give up. Call it "Vindictive", say it's my 'M.O'?. It's neither. I just want to see Hawks play to their potential.

There's no reasoning with folks who don't (or refuse to) see the ineptness behind the bench .... and probably worse the dysfunctional organization. I just knew some would use Crawford's injury as the latest excuse to let Q off the hook. So here we go again; another season of futility behind the bench where it will be up to the players to pull a rabbit out of the hat despite the illogical roster decisions, the soft defense, the disorganized STs etc. That worked when the roster was stacked, not so much in the last 3 years.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW

Based on getting embarrassed by Nashville in 2017, and the subsequent call for "Something's gotta change", and then this pants-downer-grab-your-ankles kind of season, there is indeed a legit reason to give Q the axe.

I'd also argue giving Bowman the axe as well for the exact same reason.

Coaches are hired to be fired.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Again, you're talking about wanting to have the team play to their potential and your solution is to fire Q and replace him with a coach of teams that shit the bed essentially every single year except this one (in no small part thanks to the Jackets being a one-line team and it taking them two games to realize that somehow, the Pens being gassed, the Bolts being their usual choker selves, and Vegas finally running out of Cinderella powder). I'm not suggesting that Trotz is a bad coach, but that just seems like a lateral move at the very best and one that'd make the old boys across the league stick up their noses for such a late canning.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I give up. Call it "Vindictive", say it's my 'M.O'?. It's neither. I just want to see Hawks play to their potential.

There's no reasoning with folks who don't (or refuse to) see the ineptness behind the bench .... and probably worse the dysfunctional organization. I just knew some would use Crawford's injury as the latest excuse to let Q off the hook. So here we go again; another season of futility behind the bench where it will be up to the players to pull a rabbit out of the hat despite the illogical roster decisions, the soft defense, the disorganized STs etc. That worked when the roster was stacked, not so much in the last 3 years.

I dont know what your assessments but most people on polls and threads here wanted Q gone.. the consensus is also because hes out of date and worn thin... which were also labeled to Trotz but you'd find it foolish if fans for other teams wanted Q as many said they do.

Generally I'd think after s point unless it's still yearly title runs like belichick having the longest tenured coach in a league is a reason to be weary of staying put.

Dont take your unexplained reasoning Trotz is better as Q being desired
... they want a more current voice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad