Excuses over. Barry Trotz available (no longer available)

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Certainly would be an interesting coach for the Hawks. Would have a wealth of knowledge about Hawks players from first hand observation and game planning against.

Edit: Also, heard from an interview after the Cup that he was going to discuss the future with his family, and likely wants to take time off to be home.

Last edited:

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Rather go with Colliton if there is a change. Fire away.
Trotz takes a year off, Quenneville screws up again and leads Hawks to a top five pick in the draft, Trotz hired on a three year contract for 2019-20 with Colliton as a bench coach learning the ropes, Colliton taking over for 2022-23 season after another cup win in 2022.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Certainly would be an interesting coach for the Hawks. Would have a wealth of knowledge about Hawks players from first hand observation and game planning against.

Edit: Also, heard from an interview after the Cup that he was going to discuss the future with his family, and likely wants to take time off to be home.

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind. Trotz seems like a guy who may just walk away from the game.

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
Yeah, that thought crossed my mind. Trotz seems like a guy who may just walk away from the game.
Yep, he's definitely walking away from the game. It had nothing to do with the automatic extension.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
He resigned because his extension would only pay him $1.8M per season. Which is near the bottom of the NHL in coaching salaries. I doubt it had much to do with his family.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I don't blame Trotz. He saw what cup winning coaches were getting paid and he wants to be apart of that. Capitals FO are finally learning first hand that a championship does have a price to pay. Gonna be fun to see what Carlsson asks from them.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Q to Trotz seems like a pretty big example of the grass is greener on the other side mentality. His teams have been chronic underachievers until just this past postseason, after all. Not to knock him as a bad coach or anything like that, he's definitely good. But I'd be hesitant to suggest that he's suddenly a home run coach because he won a Cup with a ridiculously stacked roster that finally found a way to not shit the bed.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Isn't Trotz resigning in order to get Q / Babcock type money? Or is he just burned out?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he will somehow take time to talk with his family, while Big Lou is knocking on his door (you can't say NO to Lou), and miraculously winds up in Long Island.

and no to Trotz...he was shit on for years by Caps fans for similar issues Q has here...a number of early outs and 1 cup does not make him a great fit here. he was right place and right time, lucky to have Smith Pelly and Wilson tearing it up out there to go along with a top 4 defense that was reminiscent of the Hawks in our Cups..

stick with Q so we can fire his ass by December and get actual new blood in Colliton since half the roster will be Ice Hogs..

Reactions: deytookerjaabs

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
No thanks. Plus I highly doubt Rocky wants to have pay Q his remaining $$$ AND pay Trotz $4-$6M/year on top of that.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
The whinging about Q done here will be the same if Trotz is the coach. When I think of it, no matter who the coach is, there will be whinging regardless.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
As Bubba said above, Trotz can and will adapt his systems and use players to their strengths unlike Q

too bad that it seems Mcd is in love with Q and thus is clouded by the 3 cups that Q won with the hawks.

Trotz does not fit here, he fits with a team that does not have a young up and coming coach in the organization that the team wants to promote.

I think he would be a good candidate to fix the edmonton mess

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
As Bubba said above, Trotz can and will adapt his systems and use players to their strengths unlike Q

too bad that it seems Mcd is in love with Q and thus is clouded by the 3 cups that Q won with the hawks.

Trotz does not fit here, he fits with a team that does not have a young up and coming coach in the organization that the team wants to promote.

I think he would be a good candidate to fix the edmonton mess

I'm pretty sure Ovi, Backstrom, Orpik, Holtby, Carlson etc. would question the bolded above. And Oilers aren't the only org. that is a mess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad