excruciating pain with new skates

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
I recently bought the mission lieutenant inline skates at a deep deep discount price online. I wore them twice and got blisters on the inside of both feet, pretty much right in the middle of the circular bone(malleolar). The pain was not unbearable but it hurt. So I then baked them, played once, and when i played again the pain was so bad that I had to take myself out of the game. I baked them a second time, and again, had to take myself out. I even bought Bunga Pads for the malleolar bone and the pain is still beyond belief, constant grimmacing and wincing. I wore a pair of my brothers skates(not the lieutenents) the last 2 time, same size as mine, and zero pain. I went to some local places and tried on diff skates, and there was ankle pain in each one. I even had my boots punched out and that did NOTHING. people have said to just break em in by skating on them, but how can i skate on them when the pain is too much to take? Anyone own these skates and/or had similar probs? Thanks, end of novel

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I recently bought the mission lieutenant inline skates at a deep deep discount price online. I wore them twice and got blisters on the inside of both feet, pretty much right in the middle of the circular bone(malleolar). The pain was not unbearable but it hurt. So I then baked them, played once, and when i played again the pain was so bad that I had to take myself out of the game. I baked them a second time, and again, had to take myself out. I even bought Bunga Pads for the malleolar bone and the pain is still beyond belief, constant grimmacing and wincing. I wore a pair of my brothers skates(not the lieutenents) the last 2 time, same size as mine, and zero pain. I went to some local places and tried on diff skates, and there was ankle pain in each one. I even had my boots punched out and that did NOTHING. people have said to just break em in by skating on them, but how can i skate on them when the pain is too much to take? Anyone own these skates and/or had similar probs? Thanks, end of novel

Sounds like you need a wider sized skate. When I played roller hockey I used Missions and never had a problem. I would buy them, bake them and then use them and never had blister or pain problems.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
wider hmmm i dont know. i have been playing roller for over 18 years and this is the first problem ever, always use the standard width in skates.

Update: I took out the insoles from my old skates and placed them inside and on top of my new ones, and it seems to have helped a bit. Perhaps i need a thick insole

TimHortons

Gud Night
Jan 26, 2004
wider hmmm i dont know. i have been playing roller for over 18 years and this is the first problem ever, always use the standard width in skates.

Update: I took out the insoles from my old skates and placed them inside and on top of my new ones, and it seems to have helped a bit. Perhaps i need a thick insole

Sounds like a problem I've been experiencing lately with my Boss Blacks. They were fine for the longest time and suddenly i've experienced extreme pain in the exact spot you're mentioning(medial Malleolus). I just got the Lieutenant's too for a steep discount(Hockey Monkey?), haven't tested them out yet.

rye&ginger

Jan 4, 2004
Vancouver
In general this is due to a bad fit to your foot. A skate should never hurt that much, even on first trial. Maybe a bit of soreness after wearing them for 10-20 minutes but thats about it.

Fosssil

Jan 15, 2011
The Lieutenants have a notoriously uncomfortable break-in period. The pain you described is pretty much consistent with what I experienced when I first bought the skates. Baking helps a bit, but mine were still incredibly stiff until I had been on them for about two weeks (probably 6-8 hours of skate time if I had to estimate). I know that you were looking for advice other than just "skate until they're comfortable," but that's pretty much the only thing I can recommend since you've already baked them and had the boots punched out. You could possibly wear a different pair of skates during games, and then go to pick-up/public skate with the LTs. I do encourage you to try to battle through the break-in process though, because afterwards they are terrific skates.

TimHortons

Gud Night
Jan 26, 2004
Any further advice with these skates?

I just used them the past two times playing and it was the worst pain I've ever felt wearing skates (played for over 19 years). Severe blisters and open cuts around the ankle. I will not wear them again unless I can fix the problem. I've noticed it's the padded "support" on the ankle that is rubbing against my ankle and causing the blisters/cuts. Would it be normal to just cut that out or would this cause different kinds of blisters/cuts.

dbargaehr

May 13, 2011
I bought the Lieutenants as well about 4-5 months ago and had a very similar problem. I got rather massive blisters (like, the circumference of a can of Coke) on the interior ankles...both sides...

My solution? I gritted it out (I don't like baking skates). I played a 4-game tournament one day, and that finally solved the issue...they took a lot longer than any other skate I've had to break in, but now they're comfortable.

The way the skate is formed, there is a definite pressure on the interior ankle. I'm not sure why they did it that way...I've never had that issue with any other skates.

daron7

Sep 11, 2007
NJ

i had the same problem with these skates, excruciating pain and blistering. although i did buy them used, they looked brand new. never had this problem before, and i couldn't skate for two weeks...i was miserable! i eventually switched to mission boss (the white with blue) which i got a real good deal on and they're perfect.

RangersAM99

Mar 28, 2007
New Jersey
when ever I had pain in my feet from skates I would just loosen them up until my foot adapted to the skate. Next time you skate with them loosen them to the point where you feel no pain once your foot adjusts to the skate slowly tighten them, it could take a while before your foot gets accustomed to the skate

budster

Schoolyard Puck
I had the same issue with Missions when I played roller in high school. I switched to Bauer's and the fit MUCH better. (my feet are a little flat). I had custom footbeds made less than a year ago and now I think I've found the perfect combination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad