News Article: Excerpts from Provorov's Interview to Match.tv

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I remember posting his workout once. I could be wrong, but it was like 2 hours of cardio, 4 hours of gym time, more cardio, then other stuff.
That’s what I remember too. I’m hardly a pro athlete but that seems nuts. The amount you’d have to eat to not shrink would be a ton. Hiit in the am. Meal. Lifting. Nap.

Branko

Jul 5, 2011
That’s what I remember too. I’m hardly a pro athlete but that seems nuts. The amount you’d have to eat to not shrink would be a ton. Hiit in the am. Meal. Lifting. Nap.

I guess that's the reason he is a pro athlete and we're not ;)

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
He’s getting his calories from Ice Cream lol.

I remember watching a Monday Night Football game on ESPN and they went through what they eat during their practice days:

Oklahoma OL (again this could be incorrect, but it’s what I remember from that game)

Breakfast: 8 egg Omelet (w/ 1lb of Bacon, ham, veggies, and cheese), 3 bagels, Angel Food Cake, and a smoothie

Lunch: 2 bags of chips, 2 foot long hoagies, and something else

Dinner: 50+Oz steak, veggies, some type of dessert, pasta (sometimes boxes)|rice, and other stuff.

They have to eat 7,000-9,000 calories to maintain their weight. That’s disgusting to me. They put all the food out on a table that they consume on days where the practice and it is just crazy!

Provorov seems like he has to eat at least half of that every day just to maintain shape and weight if he works out that hard. I don’t know how his appetite doesn’t stay that big if he has to eat that way. I used to workout hardcore and do runs and backpacking trips. I had to increase my calorie intake by 300 the first year and another 400 the year after to stay in shape while gaining muscle. That was also when I played a little hockey in Sweden. When I stopped due to work, my appetite was still large... I gained a little weight, but it was hard to lose it due to a huge appetite.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I guess that's the reason he is a pro athlete and we're not ;)

Haha maybe. I think it might be why he couldn’t make an outlet pass or hold the point haha.

I remember watching a Monday Night Football game on ESPN and they went through what they eat during their practice days:

Oklahoma OL (again this could be incorrect, but it’s what I remember from that game)

Breakfast: 8 egg Omelet (w/ 1lb of Bacon, ham, veggies, and cheese), 3 bagels, Angel Food Cake, and a smoothie

Dinner: 50+Oz steak, veggies, some type of dessert, pasta (sometimes boxes)|rice, and other stuff.

They have to eat 7,000-9,000 calories to maintain their weight. That’s disgusting to me. They put all the food out on a table that they consume on days where the practice and it is just crazy!

Provorov seems like he has to eat at least half of that every day just to maintain shape and weight if he works out that hard. I don’t know how his appetite doesn’t stay that big if he has to eat that way. I used to workout hardcore and do runs and backpacking trips. I had to increase my calorie intake by 300 the first year and another 400 the year after to stay in shape while gaining muscle. That was also when I played a little hockey in Sweden. When I stopped due to work, my appetite was still large... I gained a little weight, but it was hard to lose it due to a huge appetite.

That’s just insane. Glad they make big money for putting themselves through that. You see a OL men retire and get cut from not eating that many calories. I would think Provy would have to eat 5-6k calories training that much at his age. That’s a lot of ice cream!

Reactions: Branko and CapnZin

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville

tumblr_oubu1p9fmT1wtpwrno5_250.jpg

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
That amount of training all summer is crazy.

I did national team summer camps at 16 where we trained 8 hours a day (running, gym, swimming, drills and a practice game... but they lasted usually 5 days and then back to a normal ~24 hours a week). And I mean, for a few days once we got back everyone was dead even though trained every day normally.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
Q: Your +/- metric is one of the worst on the team. How would you explain this?
A: I do not consider “+/-“ to be a correct measure of the player’s efficiency. Sometimes you are on the ice, but you are far away from action. And despite working hard in all the zones and playing for about 30 minutes you get a -3 for a game. Your efficiency is negative, even though you were not even close to the situations. Conversely, it can happen otherwise- you may not participate in offense, but your “+/-“ is + 3. Also, there were a lot of empty net goals this season. That’s why I do not think that this metric explains my season.

Throwing shade at Hagg

Q: What can you say about the young goalie- Carter Hart?
A: The high level players do not need to waste time in the AHL. They are ready when they are ready. Hart is an excellent goalkeeper and a remarkable guy. Most importantly, he continues working and learning. He will reach the level of on of the best goalkeepers in the NHL.

And a big F you to Hextall

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
It’s probably overkill. He should probably focus more on flexibility than strength, if he’s not already.
He did not specify his summer workout routine, but I recall reading that it's focused on cardio, agility, and strength.
Transparently, in my translation I omitted a part, where he says that during the season he works on flexibility and exercises with his own wait.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

At 16 we were on around 4,500-5,000 calories to train for an average of ~4 hours a day. Going off our base metabolic rates and then exercise length+intensity.

I cannot imagine many pro athletes who have the combo of needing mass and muscle and having good cardio eating less than that really, depending on practice time per day etc. But most have the advantage of beautiful rice and pasta in quantity thanks to needing the carbs!

I would guess Provy probably eats 5k plus in season even.

Reactions: CapnZin

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
At 16 we were on around 4,500-5,000 calories to train for an average of ~4 hours a day. Going off our base metabolic rates and then exercise length+intensity.

I cannot imagine many pro athletes who have the combo of needing mass and muscle and having good cardio eating less than that really, depending on practice time per day etc. But most have the advantage of beautiful rice and pasta in quantity thanks to needing the carbs!

I would guess Provy probably eats 5k plus in season even.
When I did my backpacking stuff we did 20 mile hikes between two days and would consume tons of calories. I think I was near 3,500. I still lost weight too.

I can’t imagine being an offensive linemen in football. Apparently their average consumption is 8K.

Crazy to me how Provorov trains that hard and can keep his body is good shape. Too much exercise doesn’t allow your body to recoup which is needed, but whatever works for him

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Throwing shade at Hagg

And a big F you to Hextall

NAK and Vorobyev were not high level players.
Neither were Myers or Sanheim, both lacked instincts.

Hart is on another level, Provorov is merely acknowledging that, and he needed those two months in the AHL.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I think Provy over trains honestly, he needs to hire a trainer who knows when to push him and when to rest, also the mental side if any professional sport comes with it own challenges and hurdles, but if you master the mental game the rest seems to fall into place

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->