Exceptional Player Staus

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
14 year old Connor Bedard has just been given exceptional player staus in the WHL.

14-year-old Bedard granted exceptional player status for WHL

What is your opion on this for the ohl & the other leagues that make up the chl ?
It’s been a success in the OHL with Tavares, McDavid, Ekblad. Wright appears on his way.
Sean Day was never mature enough for it and I think that’s the biggest factor with these super talented kids. They are still very young. Talent is one thing but personality is critical too. I remember in his draft year Erie picked Strome over him, which was a significantly better choice.

When the OHL doesn’t mess around with it just to ensure someone like Day plays in their league, they are selective and have picked the best of the best

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
14 year old Connor Bedard has just been given exceptional player staus in the WHL.

14-year-old Bedard granted exceptional player status for WHL

What is your opion on this for the ohl & the other leagues that make up the chl ?

Looking at the big picture here, I'm surprised that the WHL hadn't addressed this years ago like the OHL did. Being a fan of the OHL for many years and seeing the OHL allow the exceptional player status to minor midget players who are 15yo hasn't ever really been an issue in the OHL.

I've always believed that if the player(s) is talented enough to compete at this level it shouldn't really play any real affect to the league or teams if the kid is 15yo or not. From an OHL perspective there's only ever been a handful of players who were granted the status before so when players who are in the league with that status it makes those kids exciting to watch.

For the WHL to announce this to their respective league is something that shows that the talent pool out west is growing and it's not always the 18-19yo veterans who are experienced anymore we're starting to see a younger generation of players who are talented players at 15-16 and 17yo who will be around the leagues who could be around for 3 maybe 4 seasons and be gone to the pros by their NHL draft year.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Remind me how Spezza & Fata were allowed to play in the ohl at 15 because I don't think this rule was in place at the time ? Also,didn't Brent Gretzky play with the Bulls at 15 ?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Remind me how Spezza & Fata were allowed to play in the ohl at 15 because I don't think this rule was in place at the time ? Also,didn't Brent Gretzky play with the Bulls at 15 ?

Back then, at least with Fata and Spezza, you were allowed to play as a 15-year-old for your “hometown team”. Then, you went into the OHL draft as a 16-year-old.

I don’t believe Brent Gretzky played as a 15-year-old. However, brother Keith played for his hometown Branford Alexanders as a 15 year old.

Reactions: Garyboy

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Back then, at least with Fata and Spezza, you were allowed to play as a 15-year-old for your “hometown team”. Then, you went into the OHL draft as a 16-year-old.

I don’t believe Brent Gretzky played as a 15-year-old. However, brother Keith played for his hometown Branford Alexanders as a 15 year old.

Yes,Keith played for his hometown Brantford in the OHL for the 82/83 season.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The reason for the rule change to what it is today, is the league wanted control over the designation of exceptional players. Before the rule change, it was up to a team to decide if a player was good enough to play for their team and then he was signed to play as a FA. Under current rules, the league and Hockey Canada makes yhe decision and then that player enters the draft.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Looking at the big picture here, I'm surprised that the WHL hadn't addressed this years ago like the OHL did. Being a fan of the OHL for many years and seeing the OHL allow the exceptional player status to minor midget players who are 15yo hasn't ever really been an issue in the OHL.

I've always believed that if the player(s) is talented enough to compete at this level it shouldn't really play any real affect to the league or teams if the kid is 15yo or not. From an OHL perspective there's only ever been a handful of players who were granted the status before so when players who are in the league with that status it makes those kids exciting to watch.

For the WHL to announce this to their respective league is something that shows that the talent pool out west is growing and it's not always the 18-19yo veterans who are experienced anymore we're starting to see a younger generation of players who are talented players at 15-16 and 17yo who will be around the leagues who could be around for 3 maybe 4 seasons and be gone to the pros by their NHL draft year.
This is not new to the WHL, it was rule introduced to all three leagues a number of years ago.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
This is not new to the WHL, it was rule introduced to all three leagues a number of years ago.

The ruling may not be new but this is the first time the WHL has had a player(s) that they consider to be exceptional status, unless someone on here can prove an example of a player in the WHL that was awarded the status I've never heard of a WHL player ever being awarded the status before.

I know there's been a number of OHLers who have been awarded the status of being a 15yo McDavid, Travares, Wright and theres probably one or two others in there that I've forgot or can't recall the name of the player but I've either never heard of or payed close attention to the other two CHL leagues till the Memorial Cup, but I don't think this has been awarded to a WHL team before at least not in the modern era of the CHL in regards to the WHL.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The ruling may not be new but this is the first time the WHL has had a player(s) that they consider to be exceptional status, unless someone on here can prove an example of a player in the WHL that was awarded the status I've never heard of a WHL player ever being awarded the status before.

I know there's been a number of OHLers who have been awarded the status of being a 15yo McDavid, Travares, Wright and theres probably one or two others in there that I've forgot or can't recall the name of the player but I've either never heard of or payed close attention to the other two CHL leagues till the Memorial Cup, but I don't think this has been awarded to a WHL team before at least not in the modern era of the CHL in regards to the WHL.
Bedard is the first in the WHL but Mathew Savoie applied last year and was denied by the CHL.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

He may be the first under the current rules. But he won’t be the first under underager play WHL hockey.

Glen Goodall Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
People should keep in mind that the WHL uses a Bantam draft, not a minor midget draft. In other words, this is Bedard’s WHL draft year.

The benefit of exceptional player status is that he is now permitted to play the entire season in the WHL. Every other 2005 is limited, theoretically, to 5 WHL regular season games until after his club team is eliminated from the playoffs.

BTW, years ago the WHL held a PEEWEE draft, of all things. Imagine scouting 2006 and 2007 birth years? Sheesh!

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
People should keep in mind that the WHL uses a Bantam draft, not a minor midget draft. In other words, this is Bedard’s WHL draft year.

The benefit of exceptional player status is that he is now permitted to play the entire season in the WHL. Every other 2005 is limited, theoretically, to 5 WHL regular season games until after his club team is eliminated from the playoffs.

BTW, years ago the WHL held a PEEWEE draft, of all things. Imagine scouting 2006 and 2007 birth years? Sheesh!

Heavy pre scouting the Atoms was essential back in those days.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Does anyone know if Adam Fantilli applied for ES last year along with Shane Wright? I had heard that he was planning to but he was told that he was far too young being a December birthday.

Probably was a mistake if true. Same with Jack Hughes and league feeling that the he was far too small to play in the league as an ES player.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Does anyone know if Adam Fantilli applied for ES last year along with Shane Wright? I had heard that he was planning to but he was told that he was far too young being a December birthday.

Probably was a mistake if true. Same with Jack Hughes and league feeling that the he was far too small to play in the league as an ES player.
I disagree because if the OHL starts using the ES tag as simply a tool to ensure they keep players like Fantilli (who don’t check all their boxes to get ES), it delegitimizes the process. At that stage the league would just be having them every single year. As seen with Sean Day, there are certainly players that aren’t ready for it .

Reactions: three dog night

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I disagree because if the OHL starts using the ES tag as simply a tool to ensure they keep players like Fantilli (who don’t check all their boxes to get ES), it delegitimizes the process. At that stage the league would just be having them every single year. As seen with Sean Day, there are certainly players that aren’t ready for it .

What box didn’t Fantilli check? Just asking?

Did he apply? Did Hughes apply?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
What box didn’t Fantilli check? Just asking?
I don’t know but if he applied for it and they didn’t grant him ES, there had to have been something, no?
Talent isn’t the only thing they look at ...

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I don’t know but if he applied for it and they didn’t grant him ES, there had to have been something, no?
Talent isn’t the only thing they look at ...

I’m not sure if he applied either. I remember there being some discussion on here last year, where it was mentioned that they may only allow one exceptional status per year. If that is the case, and Wright was a slam dunk, I can see why he did not bother applying. If that is a rule, that needs to be changed.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I’m not sure if he applied either. I remember there being some discussion on here last year, where it was mentioned that they may only allow one exceptional status per year. If that is the case, and Wright was a slam dunk, I can see why he did not bother applying. If that is a rule, that needs to be changed.
ES should be reserved for few cases imo. Start having 1/2 a year and there will be more “busts.” The draft eligibility age is what it is. The OHL allows a small window for extreme, special cases and that’s it.

Reactions: rangersblues

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad