Excel to ... ?

HockeyPuck

Jan 6, 2016
Hi guys,

I was wondering what tools do you use to analyze your data ? My data is currently on Excel but I'm looking for something else as it's coming too big and make my excel pretty slow...

Thanks !

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
R and Python are both good; I mildly prefer R.
Do you store them in Excel and use R to extract the data and analyze it? I want to experiment with stuff but I don't know where to begin :P

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I prefer Python.

Use Excel to save your spreadsheet as a .csv file. Import the .csv as a pandas data frame and go from there.

In an ipython notebook file (using jupyter via Anaconda), that would look like:

import pandas as pd
df1=pd.read_csv("_____.csv")

HockeyPuck

Jan 6, 2016
Thanks guys ! Appreciate it.

Just a random question, I'm working on a projection system and I was wondering if you guys know a factor that I can apply, involving Age, that could help me translate points from Junior (CHL) to any league. I know the NHLe... but the thing is that if I apply that at 20 yo, what is the factor for 21 ? Thanks!

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Just a random question, I'm working on a projection system and I was wondering if you guys know a factor that I can apply, involving Age, that could help me translate points from Junior (CHL) to any league. I know the NHLe... but the thing is that if I apply that at 20 yo, what is the factor for 21 ? Thanks!

Solving that would be a large part of developing the projection system.

Yes, the factor should vary by age, and can be fit just like any other independent variable.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Completely forget about spreadsheets and learn databases. Either SQL or NoSQL (MongoDB).

Since the chances are you don't have any experience programming, I'd recommend you look into MySQL. It's a free database server you can use in any language.

After you learn that, you can choose any language you want and connect to your database.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->