Post-Game Talk: EXB Game - 7/29/20 | islanders vs RANGERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Could care less if we won or lost, but that might of been Panarins worst game ever. Like EVER. Finally been catching up on The Last Dance, and if that's taught me anything I fully expect him to score over 50 points Saturday.

But in all seriousness, Saturday is basically a must win game and i'm having a hard time being optimistic. Our stars looked lost and gassed, not sure how you fix that in less than 3 days.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
None of this matters. I can’t get worked up over this. Hockey was already very random. Now everybody is cold. Might as well have a coin flipping tournament.

I get they need the TV money, but it would have been better if they just scrapped it and went back to normal scheduling for next season. Fans or no fans

If they win, it will feel cheap tbh

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
We can't get too worked up after how the guys are playing after their first live game action in four months....
I agree. And they did play some solid D most of the game. But they will need to step up their battle level if we are to play more than 3 or 4 games.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Losing Staal might kill us, that is how terrible Hajek is. It's a shame there aren't any other options because the guy is a trainwreck every time he touches the ice.

This is where having two huge duds on the McDonagh trade return and the Andersson pick will catch up to us. We have really bad depth; but we are also only 2 years into a rebuild and are wayyyy ahead of schedule.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
This is where having two huge duds on the McDonagh trade return and the Andersson pick will catch up to us. We have really bad depth; but we are also only 2 years into a rebuild and are wayyyy ahead of schedule.
The depth is coming. Be patient. We will see more trades like the Keane for Gauthier trade. Morgan Barron is going to be an NHL'er. It's all going to work out :)

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The biggest positive to take away from this game is that the 3rd line actually looked good, especially Chytil and Kakko. Going into this game if you asked me which 3 players I really wanted to see something out of today, those 2 would have been in the top 3.

I mean this team is dead in the water if the top 6 performs the way they did today, but assuming that they actually do the hockey that they usually do having 3 strong lines makes a big difference, especially considering how that 3rd line got killed for most of the season.

Trouba was a monster tonight and Smith was great after the 1st period. I didn't think anyone else on the D had a strong game.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
that might of been Panarins worst game ever. Like EVER.
I couldn't agree more. But you got to give the Isles credit. They didn't give anybody room and pressured relentlessly. The Isles might do well in these playoffs. They came ready to play. They even cycled better than us in the offensive zone.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
We will have 2 firsts this year too. Nobody seems to be talking about that. The future hasn’t fully arrived yet.

Yes we are way ahead of schedule here. Or at least we should be, but now the pressure is on to win in Panarin and Zibanejad's prime.

It is funny though that the Islanders are down their 1st round pick, and their 2nd round pick the next two years and are barely better than us.

Reactions: McSauer

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Could care less if we won or lost, but that might of been Panarins worst game ever. Like EVER. Finally been catching up on The Last Dance, and if that's taught me anything I fully expect him to score over 50 points Saturday.

But in all seriousness, Saturday is basically a must win game and i'm having a hard time being optimistic. Our stars looked lost and gassed, not sure how you fix that in less than 3 days.

I don't think they were gassed, they just looked disconnected.

Im hoping that the gravity of the situation will get them locked in, we'll see.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
The islanders are going to go far. They always start well, and end terribly. It’s been that way for a few years now.

This is just like the start of a season. They’re the team that benefits the most from the shutdown. They were playing horrendous hockey at the break. It was only a matter of time until they dropped out of the playoffs. None of that matters now.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
The islanders are going to go far. They always start well, and end terribly. It’s been that way for a few years now. This is just like the start of a season. They’re the team that benefits the most from the shutdown. They were playing horrendous hockey at the break. It was only a matter of time until they dropped out of the playoffs

They will beat the Panthers and then get rinsed by whoever they play in round 2.

They match up really well against Florida, they can contain Barkov and Huberdeau, not them down completely, but keep them in check, and they dont have much beyond them and Dadonov.

And Bobrovsky is the worst goalie in the entire playoffs. Reimer will be in net by Game 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kords

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
First off I could give two shits if we won or not tonight as all this was was a tuneup for Saturday. Was hoping and praying no one got hurt but looks like Staalsie aint looking too good. Anyways, I said in the pre game thread that I was looking for one thing and one thing only and I pretty much got what I wanted.

I wanted to see if the rumors in camp about Kakko looking nothing like pre-covid Kakko were true or not.

Well we got a pretty good answer tonight. Kakko too me looks like he's in better shape. He looks like he might have bulked up a bit as well with some weight training. He just looks a bit beefier which I was hoping and praying he'd do over the offseason. For Kakko, this covid break came at perfect time for him. Pre-Covid, he just looked gassed everytime out there other than at times on the PP when he could play off the half wall and didn't need to skate too much.

Anyways that's the first thing I noticed was that Kakko looks like he bulked up a bit. Secondly and just as important as this was a major criticism of him that I had, he not only kept up with his linemates tonight and didn't look gassed at all, whether it be Bread or Chytil, Kakko looked like he actually had some burst to the puck something he never ever showed pre-covid. He looked a bit quicker and faster too me out there.

Third and final thing, Kakko looked like a guy who could be the sniper we all think he'll become as he was shooting the puck on net at pretty much every opportunity something he never did pre-covid. He was dangling the puck and looked dangerous out there. This Kakko is a guy who could and should turn into a perennial 30-35 goal 75-80 point guy down the road.

So yeah too me, this was the biggest thing that happened tonight and what I wanted too see. This impostor who wore #24 pre-covid has been given the boot. The "real" #24 is going to be awfully fun to watch going forward as he's going to keep getting better and better. I would not be surprised whatsoever if Kakko is a big factor in the Canes series and scores an important goal or two. Can't wait too find out!!

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The islanders are going to go far. They always start well, and end terribly. It’s been that way for a few years now.

This is just like the start of a season. They’re the team that benefits the most from the shutdown. They were playing horrendous hockey at the break. It was only a matter of time until they dropped out of the playoffs. None of that matters now.

They're going to get dropped in the quarters.

Trotz teams with out elite talent have a 2nd round ceiling. They were a better team last year.

Reactions: Kords
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->