Examining the Mike Smith Situation

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
This is the toned down version of how Bryz was really viewed by his teammates.

Is that so? How did you come by this intel?

Not sure why this is even a debate.

Because Mike Smith has been really good exactly one season over his entire career, and when Smitty defenders are confronted with this, they inevitably bring up Bryzgalov to turn the conversation in another direction.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
For the whole Smith is liked but Bryz wasn't thing, is it even the case that the former is true?

I think it's pretty safe to say Bryz wasn't liked though because our media sucks it only really came out after except some back handed comments from Walsh IIRC.

But the exact same situation can easily come to pass with Smith and we see him run right under the bus whenever he's gone.

Because Mike Smith has been really good exactly one season over his entire career, and when Smitty defenders are confronted with this, they inevitably bring up Bryzgalov to turn the conversation in another direction.

I'd say Smith has has 3 good seasons, 1 wasn't in a Coyotes uniform. Only 1 matched his current level of pay of course.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well, we'll have to continue to agree to disagree, because Smith's play in the Kings series is one of the reasons why the Coyotes essentially fell on their faces in the WCF.

And if playoffs is what you judge by, then how many times has Smith gotten us there versus how many times Bryz got us there?

The reasons we and others lost to the Kings that year was obvious.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Is that so? How did you come by this intel?

I'm not defending Smith and what he does, rather comparing him to Bryz. I don't think I have ever seen a goalie chock like Bryz in the playoffs.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Does anyone have any insight from the current crop of local defensemen whether they're upset at Smith, or if it's just a case of "meh. goalies. whaddayagonnado?", or "no, he's a great guy, he's right, I shouldn't be screening him like that"? I guess that set to consist of OEL, Michalek, Stone, Murphy, maybe Dahlbeck... who all have been around long enough to form an opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad