Ex-Penguins defenseman Ben Lovejoy giving TV a try

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
He made a joke on one broadcast about how Pens fans were so happy when he was traded back to Pittsburgh. I laughed.

Reactions: Shady Machine

turd

Feb 1, 2013
He did fine the one time I saw him, but he’s almost too articulate and thoughtful at times, which makes him talk... I don’t know, slower or something.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
He did fine the one time I saw him, but he’s almost too articulate and thoughtful at times, which makes him talk... I don’t know, slower or something.

Naturally smart people learn how to dumb themselves down for TV in a hurry. He'll do well.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
He made a joke on one broadcast about how Pens fans were so happy when he was traded back to Pittsburgh. I laughed.

It was acceptable after we won the cup and he played a role. The year before absolutely not!

Funnily enough Pouliot’s decent stretch was with LJ

Last edited:
Reactions: billybudd

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
He’s a little smug on NBC, but I think he comes off pretty well. A lot like Boucher.

Way better than Milbury or Roesuck.

Yeah, I like a lot of the younger guys NBC has brought on board in the last few seasons. Boucher, Sharp. Carter is...fine, but he always seems nervous of flighty on tv, like he still hasn't gotten used to being on camera.

But you're right, that smug old guard of their talking heads needed sprucing up. And especially went it shuffles up their old Doc/Edzo + Pierre play-by-play crew. Good riddance to the bombastic, old-boys-club guys that you mentioned.

Now the NHL network crew (Rupp, Weeks, Stevens, Reid, etc). I'd LOVE to have that group for big national broadcasts. Those guys have a great balance of charisma and insightful commentary.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
He's always come across as a bit of a goofy idiot to me.

But Errey is the same and it works for TV so you know more power to him if he can figure it out. Errey sometimes has insightful things to say and I'm sure Lovejoy does too.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Good for him. Only heard him in his debut and thought he sounded a bit forced, but solid first effort. I think he will be good in the role.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Great, so a Mears like boring voice but with the stare of a serial killer. I haven't heard him yet.

But I will say I don't like Rupp at all, he comes off as just a wanker, Army keeps cutting off Jay Caufield and that alone is funny enough for me. I wish we had more funny guys that were retired and doing that thing.

Ryan Whitney is a imbecile and so are his podcast buddies, so no, not them.

PS - Mods, I applaud you for turning that word into "Pejorative Slur." I will change it, but I like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad