News Article: Ex-Nordiques Chris Simon has passed away

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Wow, shocking! He was only 52. He was a thug on ice during the dead puck era, but did have a few good years as a Chris Nilan type.

Pretty young. No cause of death listed.

RIP.
Yeah, he could play but he was a tough son of a gun too! Apparently he was having a hard time walking due to injuries suffered during his playing days.

Always liked Simon though, and wanted him on the Habs

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Yeah, he could play but he was a tough son of a gun too! Apparently he was having a hard time walking due to injuries suffered during his playing days.

Always liked Simon though, and wanted him on the Habs

Yeah, that stomping incident kind of ended his career. During his hey day, he was a tough guy who could play & score a bit. Like a lot of tough guys, his NHL career ended badly for him.

A lot of the 90s tough guys have had really early deaths too. 😕

Reactions: Habs13

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
I remember at some point it was rumoured the Habs were after him, but it never materialized. He was an excellent fighter. Unfortunately, he suffered way too many injuries, leading to mental illness.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I remember at some point it was rumoured the Habs were after him, but it never materialized. He was an excellent fighter. Unfortunately, he suffered way too many injuries, leading to mental illness.

He was diagnosed with CTE in 2017, had a bankruptcy and was on disability. He also dealt with a lot of addictions. He was a tough guy who led a tough life.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He was diagnosed with CTE in 2017, had a bankruptcy and was on disability. He also dealt with a lot of addictions. He was a tough guy who led a tough life.

I've had a few friends from the reserve that I grew up with and made it semi-pro deal with these issues. All dead before 50 . Hundreds of fights since bantam, drugs and alcohol, CTE.. just an ugly life and outcome. Poor bugger, legit always wanted him here in Montreal

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Sick Podcast tonight saying he took his own life. More than 100 NHL fighting majors and 1800 PIM imagine took its toll on him

Yeah, reddit hockey was saying the same thing. Too many 90s tough guys have gone out that way. He wasn't physically healthy at all, and obviously struggling mentally as well.

Sad day.

• Wow
Reactions: Miller Time

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yeah, reddit hockey was saying the same thing. Too many 90s tough guys have gone out that way. He wasn't physically healthy at all, and obviously struggling mentally as well.

Sad day.
Seems like the old school tough guys it never affect. But modern era a lot of brain injuries. Fighting bigger stronger athletes or something.

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
Seems like the old school tough guys it never affect. But modern era a lot of brain injuries. Fighting bigger stronger athletes or something.
Faster game leads to heavier impact.
A hit in the 60-70:ies looks pretty different to Stevens' hit on Kariya or Kasparaitis' on Lindros.

RIP Chris Simon.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Faster game leads to heavier impact.
A hit in the 60-70:ies looks pretty different to Stevens' hit on Kariya or Kasparaitis' on Lindros.

RIP Chris Simon.
It does but those players didn't seem to suffer the brain injuries later on. Seems to be repeated blows to head. More for the fighters.

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
Was he a Franco Ontarian or he learned French while playing for Québec? I remember him talking perfect french.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I had a friend who'd been bumped into by Peter Forsberg repeatedly when dancing in a bar, and confronted him, and seconds later had Chris Simon ask him what was the problem.

There was no problem. My friend slipped away quietly.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
NHL should do something to cut down on the fighting. Allow fighting keep the 5 minute major as usual but kicked out of the game. Plus next game. Gives body chance to heal plus cuts down on needless fighting. Some guys go out there just to stir up shit. They won't do it as often

Reactions: 1909

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Reading the story below, reminded me of Andre Waters (NFL). Allan Walsh is calling out Gary Bettman on social media about CTE. Too many similar stories, RIP.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
RIP

Poor guy suffered from traumatic brain injury as per his family.

Martin Leclerc here quoting a significant study of 6000+ players from 1967-2022 showing guys with 50+ fights die a decade earlier. Old timers or not.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
RIP

Poor guy suffered from traumatic brain injury as per his family.

Martin Leclerc here quoting a significant study of 6000+ players from 1967-2022 showing guys with 50+ fights die a decade earlier. Old timers or not.

Probably more so now, bigger stronger athletes.

NHL should do something. This will occur again if not. If Simon past before recent GM meeting wonder if it would been addressed

Limit numbers of fights a player can have a season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad