Ex Canuck Dmen

skywarp75

May 19, 2009
Hi Tampa fans, Canuck fan here just wanted to ask a bit about how Salo worked out for you guys. And I just wanted to let you in on a little about the nucks perspective on both ex players. When we switched from Salo to Garrison, our teams transition game went to utter crap. The difference in puck retrieval and up-ice passing was drastic, and lead to a huge difference in our game.

That would be why Garrison was so easy to aquire for cheap, however he obviously was much better in Florida where they used him properly. In no way am i saying Gary caused the team to collapse, however you will likely notice a big difference as im assuming he's replacing Salo in your lineup.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's not replacing Salo.

Salo was net positive I think, for sure. His lack of speed seemed to really show up this year though. But in terms of expectations, over all, I think he actually overachieved.

Garrison is more like insurance on Gudas than anything. He should start as our #4 with Gudas as #6, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Gudas play his way back into top 4 minutes.

skywarp75

May 19, 2009
He's not replacing Salo.

Salo was net positive I think, for sure. His lack of speed seemed to really show up this year though. But in terms of expectations, over all, I think he actually overachieved.

Garrison is more like insurance on Gudas than anything. He should start as our #4 with Gudas as #6, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Gudas play his way back into top 4 minutes.

ah yeah, I dont know how slow Sami became these last couple of years, but Gary is several notches slower than 36 year old Sami was (but that could be due to injury)

Anyways Sami really is one of the best and most beloved Dmen in my teams history.

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
Salo was one of my favorite players growing up and I was extremely excited when the Lightning signed him. He was actually really solid during the lockout season, this season he was just awful (mostly because of lack of footspeed but it also seemed like he played softer and overall wasn't as confident as he used to be).

But yeah, as DFC said, Garrison won't replace Salo but he'll be an upgrade over Gudas. Well, he'll replace Salo's shot on the point (and he uses it likes Salo, too!).

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
Salo was absolutely AWFUL last season, I've never hated a player so much.
Anything is an upgrade.

edit: I didn't hate him as a person or anything, just hated how he played and how he was on our first pairing. Normally not the one to criticize players but he was really bad, due to age and too hard of minutes.

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I thought Salo was good in the short 2013 season. He's a smart defender and he worked well paired with Hedman. We never got his shot for our pp that he used so well in Vancouver, but he did a pretty good job here otherwise. But he definitely started showing more of his age this past year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad