Former Bruins EX Bruins Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I'm stunned to not be inundated with Reilly Smith lamentations given he scored last night. I'm even more shocked that there aren't several posts in here by @LouJersey given his man crush on smith... :laugh:

I don't like bringing up one of the worst deals in Bruins history too often. He was just another scape goat in a long list of them over time. Smith is a fantastic, well rounded hockey player. He is exactly what they need on their second line, right side, but he is not an option now, so the revolving door will continue. I do expect them to fix it at some point, hoping Heinen moves up and they recall Bjork at some point.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
upload_2019-10-9_15-57-25.jpeg

I stayed at the wrong hotel.

aguineapig

I don't like bringing up one of the worst deals in Bruins history too often. He was just another scape goat in a long list of them over time. Smith is a fantastic, well rounded hockey player. He is exactly what they need on their second line, right side, but he is not an option now, so the revolving door will continue. I do expect them to fix it at some point, hoping Heinen moves up and they recall Bjork at some point.
The current edition of Reilly would be most welcome here now, but that is not the version of Reilly who was sent packing to Florida. He was hesitant with and without the puck, and appeared to have lost confidence in himself.At the time his new contract was kicking in and the Cats picking up Savvy's deal was a cap save. Hayes made the deal feel that much more painful, but hey just two years later the Panthers dumped Reilly and his salary to Vegas for a 4th rounder AND gave them Marchessault to facilitate the deal. Glad he found his game in Vegas and all, but the player sometimes determines their own fate.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The current edition of Reilly would be most welcome here now, but that is not the version of Reilly who was sent packing to Florida. He was hesitant with and without the puck, and appeared to have lost confidence in himself.At the time his new contract was kicking in and the Cats picking up Savvy's deal was a cap save. Hayes made the deal feel that much more painful, but hey just two years later the Panthers dumped Reilly and his salary to Vegas for a 4th rounder AND gave them Marchessault to facilitate the deal. Glad he found his game in Vegas and all, but the player sometimes determines their own fate.

Again, the Smith deal in FLA was mandated by the owners to shave 10 mil and they were not re signing Marchessault, Tallon also wasn't the one who gave Smith his deal.. Not his fault they are a cheap and faulty franchise and everyone outside of Boston thought that was a terrible deal at the time, and predictably turned into one of the worst in NHL history.

As for his final season with the Bruins his advanced stats were very good. Had 74 hits, led all wingers in blocks and just had a fluke year in shooting percentage finishing under 10%.

That season was awful for all the Bruins, yet he was the whipping boy for whatever reason. Bergeron led the team with FIFTY FIVE POINTS SCORED. That team was absolute garbage.

mrjiggyfly

Jun 1, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I live in Vegas and get to watch lots of the great Reilly Smith. Too bad the B's didn't want to pay him. He's a very good two way player. I wish they had resigned MoJo. Could he have played RW on Krejci's line?

Reactions: LouJersey

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Q&A: From his greatest teammates to all the trades, Lee...

Lee Stempniak on Bergy: (He lists Kariya, Sid, Z, and Bergy as players he played with who stuck out for him)

The good thing about 10 different teams is that you ended up playing alongside some of the greatest players of this generation and some of the greatest of all time. Who sticks out for you?

"And then the last two guys, (Zdeno) Chara and (Patrice) Bergeron. They’re great leaders, great players. They’ve set the tone for the Boston Bruins. Everyone in Boston falls in line because of those guys. Bergy and I’ve become pretty good friends just from training in summer before I played with him and then playing with him. He’s probably the guy I respect the most in the NHL just because of how he plays. He’s so good defensively, still scores a ton of goals, he doesn’t cheat for it. He’s a great leader. He’s humble. He’s a really nice person. He’s genuine. That’s how he is every single day whether to other veterans he’s played with forever or young guys in training camp. To see that side of it and just know there’s guys like that is pretty cool. Last year when I was practicing with the Bruins and not playing. You’re sort of like an outside observer and you got to see the way if a guy was in and out of the lineup and struggling; no big show about it but he (Bergeron) would engage that guy and talk a little bit. He’s a really good people person and knows what to say and how to act. It can go completely unnoticed, but he’s pretty genuine with that stuff."

Top Shelf Wrister

Jan 16, 2017
Anyone miss Ryan Donato?
Christ, the posts from certain people around here condemning Sweeney for that trade were just stupid. I take Coyle from the hashmarks down any day over Donato and twice on sunday. I really wanted Coyle to work here and it seems like he is a "bruin". Dude is a horse out there, reminds me of Jon Lester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->