Ex-agent blames union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
[url]http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/12117823.htm[/url]

"I told the NHLPA that the whole impasse was created by their irresponsibility and their incompetence," [Patrick] Ducharme said in a phone interview Monday. Ducharme refused to reapply for certification with the NHLPA by the mandatory date of May 27. In an e-mail to the association one day earlier, he called it "bereft of competent leadership."

"I choose not to belong to an association led by the people that presently lead the NHLPA"
His letter to the NHLPA:

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/12116106.htm

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
this guy is only a ''part time'' agent who doesnt rely on this as his main income .

however , Its more aftermath fodder with which we can all add to the ''I told you so '' files :clap:

X0ssbar

John Flyers Fan said:
Agreed. Write that same letter in September or October and you show me something.

Very true but at the same time its still interesting to hear what these guys were thinking.

I really hope someone comes out with a book on this mess. I bet the NHL knew of stances like this during this entire ordeal.

Nomad

Jun 25, 2004
Wasn't Ducharme without any players on his books since Esche cut him loose anyway? I thought he only ever represented Bob Probert, Matt Cooke, Robert Esche, and Derek Wilkinson.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
What do these types of things really accomplish though. Create more bad blood between the sides...great. Just what a league teetering on the edge of the gorge needs. More ammunition to possibly push it over the edge.

It doesn't change the fact that we are in July of 2005 and still waiting for a deal. It doesn't bring back to the 2004 season. Nor does it change the fact that both sides gambled and this time the owners seemingly won. Every league has fought a salary cap. The way the owners capitulated in 94', it made perfect sense to play chicken with them in terms of negotiation strategy. The problem is they lost and the fans are pissed off that we were used as pawns by both sides although it is mostly the players getting the brunt of the anger.

Once the lockout got into December the reality of a new deal that would save the season were already getting faint, and the February "deadline" was a load a bunk. It's taken two weeks of 8+ hour meetings 5 days a week, another week of 15 hour meetings, and now a 9 day stretch totalling as much as 150 hours of negotations and they still haven't reached a consensus on a new CBA. Then add the ratification process and you are looking at another week of CBA development. Now add in 2+ weeks of free agency. A 2 week mini camp, and then we have that phenominal end of March start to the season. That December Stanley Cup final would have been great. The only question would have been, do we overlap the two seasons so while the playoffs are going on, the regular season of 05/06 season takes place, or do they just wait until the playoffs finish.

SENSible1*

this guy is only a ''part time'' agent who doesnt rely on this as his main income .

Further evidence that the agents should be certified by an independant body.

Goodenow would not have been able to follow this foolish path unchallennged and the players would have had the extra layer of protection and advice they pay for.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Thunderstruck said:
Further evidence that the agents should be certified by an independant body.
What does that have to with anything? Many agents, smaller agents, have a few clients in one sport, a few clients in another, and so on. This is nothing new, why would you point this out as a reason for a third body to certify them?

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
Dr Love said:
What does that have to with anything? Many agents, smaller agents, have a few clients in one sport, a few clients in another, and so on. This is nothing new, why would you point this out as a reason for a third body to certify them?

I see some validity for something like that in terms of taking away the bullying factor. If Bob threatens certification revoking if an agent doesn't follow his policy line what are they going to do? Stand up for their principles and lose out on their NHL clientel, or keep quiet and do what they have to do to keep their job.

SENSible1*

Dr Love said:

I thought I made the reasons clear in that post and numerous others on the subject.

Having the PA certify the agents effectively nueters them and does not allow them to protect their clients interests for fear of losing their livelyhood.

How are players worse off by having their agents empowered to fight for their rights?

How is the PA better off with all the power in the hands of one individual?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Absolute conflict of interest when the agents that are supposed to provide advice to their players are being controlled by the NHLPA executive.

Player: Should I be supporting Bob's position on this union issue?
Agent: I just spoke to Bob and Bob says we should. So my position is Yes.
Player: OK, Yes it is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->