Speculation: EW Contract Projections for the Oilers 19-20 season

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
If Benning is pencilled in as your top 4 dman and you don't have injuries already, you aren't coming close to a playoff spot
Benning ended leading the team in plus minus. Hes not that bad, likes to hit and can score.

We would come out ahead if we can trade Russell for a true 2nd or 3rd line winger or one that has potential to be and play Benning in Russell's spot with Petrovic as the 6/7th d.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Benning ended leading the team in plus minus. Hes not that bad, likes to hit and can score.

We would come out ahead if we can trade Russell for a true 2nd or 3rd line winger or one that has potential to be and play Benning in Russell's spot with Petrovic as the 6/7th d.
Benning does fine in a bottom pairing role but struggles heavily against any tough competition. We had a bottom 5 in the league defense last year. The defense idea you posted is worse...think about that for a second

Numz

Oct 7, 2013
I wouldn't mind dropping Russel + Chiasson and picking up that Duchene contract. I don't think Skinner is worth 8 years at 8.5 mil (age 35), I'd like him at 6mil.

Last edited:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'd be okay with bringing Rieder back, but when they already signed Nygard, who seems to be a Rieder/Haglin clone, I'd rather look at someone like Markus Granlund or Ennis as a depth forward to chill in the PB and add some offence when they're in the lineup.

Personally I'd perfer Granlund, if only for the potencial to help Puljujarvi.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Big fan of Eberle, but I don’t think he’s worth that.
Even more ridiculous is the 8x8 predicted for RNH. I threw up a little in my mouth.

With cap escalation, I'd be very surprised if Nuge gets less than $7.5 per on his next contract (I don't see an 8 year contract though).

Reactions: Faelko

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
no more than a 2-year deal for Chiasson
maybe 2 years at 1.75 per years

1-year deal for Khaira...maybe 1 million

sign Patrick Russell to a 2-way deal and the rest can go

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Benning does fine in a bottom pairing role but struggles heavily against any tough competition. We had a bottom 5 in the league defense last year. The defense idea you posted is worse...think about that for a second

Weren't our wingers the worst in the league? I think upgrading them without too much detriment to the defense should be the goal.

Russell isnt much better than Petrovic or Benning.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Weren't our wingers the worst in the league? I think upgrading them without too much detriment to the defense should be the goal.

Russell isnt much better than Petrovic or Benning.
What?
Petrovic barely even cracked our lineup when we were injured?

Matt Benning has shown he cannot handle tougher minutes without folding like a cheap tent. Put him in a bottom pairing role and he does fine to well. You push him harder than that and require Nurse to carry him your second pairing is a glorified 3rd pairing. Which you can't have when your first pairing is more of a good second pairing.

I still can't believe people here want our defense to be worse like it's not a big deal. We have bad goaltending and bad defense, make one of those worse than it is and it doesn't matter how much you improve the forwards

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Who is EW?

EW is short for E something Wild (I cant remember what the E stands for) and is his pseudonym. He has published a salary projection chart for a while now and some in the media have started to refer to it which is where I got it from. His modelling has been fairly accurate.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
What?
Petrovic barely even cracked our lineup when we were injured?

Matt Benning has shown he cannot handle tougher minutes without folding like a cheap tent. Put him in a bottom pairing role and he does fine to well. You push him harder than that and require Nurse to carry him your second pairing is a glorified 3rd pairing. Which you can't have when your first pairing is more of a good second pairing.

I still can't believe people here want our defense to be worse like it's not a big deal. We have bad goaltending and bad defense, make one of those worse than it is and it doesn't matter how much you improve the forwards

Having putrid forwards makes the defense and goaltending worse.
Other than MCD, Drai and Nuge we couldn't score ourselves out of a paper bag. We need wingers much more than defense I think.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
no more than a 2-year deal for Chiasson
maybe 2 years at 1.75 per years

1-year deal for Khaira...maybe 1 million

sign Patrick Russell to a 2-way deal and the rest can go

The thing with Chiasson for me is where does he play in the lineup? If you’re slotting him in at 2RW, what’s the going rate for that position? 3M probably isn’t that far off but the Oilers are probably the only team in the league that would play him there with our horrid winger depth.

I think you let him walk, Puljujarvi can’t be waived next year, he’s your 3RW, Nygard will probably get a spot at 3LW, Khaira and Lucic are your 4LW and RW. The Oilers biggest needs are wingers for RNH and I don’t see Chiasson as a fit.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I see us making a push for western Conf champs but I still think Tampa takes the president.

laugh-then-sad.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad