Speculation: EW Contract Projections for the Oilers 19-20 season

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

>> Look at the Free Agents 2019 tab<<

He is usually pretty accurate with his overall contract projections. Was talking about them in the Rumors thread and thought I would make a separate thread with his Oiler projections to discuss. (Note he doesn't say they will be signed by the Oilers, just what their projected cap and term hits will be)

UFA
Alex Chaisson 3 x $3.18M (Bye Alex, been nice knowing you)
Tobias Rieder 2 x $1.74M (Burgers has the bus he drove over you waiting at Rogers to take you to the airport)
Alex Petrovic 1 x $943K (Bye Alex, been nice knowing you)
RFA
Jesse Puljujarvi 2 x $1.39M (I think it will be 2 x $1.5M)
Jujhar Khaira 2 x $1.16M (I think it will be 2 x $1.25)
Ty Rattie 2 x $820K (Won't be with the Oilers and will be a 2 way contract)

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Alex Petrovic could be offered something. I didnt mind him. Depends if Russell goes.

Klef - Larson
Nurse - Benning
Sekera - Petrovic

Work in Bear, Jones, Lageson, Bouchard.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I wonder who would be offering Chaisson a 3 x 3. Seems like a massive overpay based on 1 good year and with middle class contracts being squeezed out by the young 2nd contract guns.

Reactions: 780il

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
That’s insane. No thank you.

Yeah I think his algorithm missed the mark on this one. I can see him doing like Maroon, expecting to get a 3x3 but having to come back cap in hand to the Oilers in mid September on a 1 year $1M deal. He better be signed by July 5 as that is usually the date the UFA waters deaden and GMs take their breaks. August teams look to locking up their RFA's .

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah I think his algorithm missed the mark on this one. I can see him doing like Maroon, expecting to get a 3x3 but having to come back cap in hand to the Oilers in mid September on a 1 year $1M deal. He better be signed by July 5 as that is usually the date the UFA waters deaden and GMs take their breaks. August teams look to locking up their RFA's .
His numbers are usually based on the most recent season only

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Alex Petrovic could be offered something. I didnt mind him. Depends if Russell goes.

Klef - Larson
Nurse - Benning
Sekera - Petrovic

I wouldn't mind keeping him or Gravel around as the #7 if they're going to have a rookie or two in the top 6. They're both decent enough options that can come in and play 20-25 games tops to give the rookies a game off if they hit a rough patch.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Klef - Larson
Nurse - Benning
Sekera - Petrovic

I think with the emphasis that Tippet and Holland have on a 5 man attack that Petrovic probably wont be staying on. I can see Jones in that spot being mentored by Sekera and Russell in the 2nd pair RD, with Benning as the 6/7 but I still think Russell is moved. Creates a hole on that pair unless a D is coming back.

Reactions: Cypress

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

He is usually pretty accurate with his overall contract projections. Was talking about them in the Rumors thread and thought I would make a separate thread with his Oiler projections to discuss. (Note he doesn't say they will be signed by the Oilers, just what their projected cap and term hits will be)

UFA
Tobias Rieder 2 x $1.74M (Burgers has the bus he drove over you waiting at Rogers to take you to the airport)
RFA

Ebs with another 7x6M to replace his old 6x6M would be funny.

Marner better end up over 10M. Ideally pushing towards 11M.

Rieder for 1 year at 1.5M would be OK by me. Guy has a hell of a lot to prove, and Tippett knows him. Chaisson, yeah, if he wants a pay day, sorry buddy, go get it somewhere else. Pulju and Khaira hopefully end up in that 1.25-1.5M range as you say.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
UFA
RFA

I wouldn't offer Chaisson anything more then 1.5 x 2.

Reider, Rattie and Petrovic can walk.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Ebs with another 7x6M to replace his old 6x6M would be funny.

Marner better end up over 10M. Ideally pushing towards 11M.

Rieder for 1 year at 1.5M would be OK by me. Guy has a hell of a lot to prove, and Tippett knows him. Chaisson, yeah, if he wants a pay day, sorry buddy, go get it somewhere else. Pulju and Khaira hopefully end up in that 1.25-1.5M range as you say.

I do not believe Marner is going to settle for less than 11.5 unless he receives no RFA offers the last week of June during the courting period. They are going to use every bit of leverage on the Leafs who screwed Marner out of his ELC bonuses and now its coming home to roost. And the first team I bet that they visit June 26 - The New York Islanders. Followed by the Rangers and the Devils. Nothing like getting a New York bidding war started on Marner and then see what the Leafs have to say about it, along with the Hurricanes, Coyotes, Kings, Ducks, Sabres and a few more.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I do not believe Marner is going to settle for less than 11.5 unless he receives no RFA offers the last week of June during the courting period. They are going to use every bit of leverage on the Leafs who screwed Marner out of his ELC bonuses and now its coming home to roost. And the first team I bet that they visit June 26 - The New York Islanders. Followed by the Rangers and the Devils. Nothing like getting a New York bidding war started on Marner and then see what the Leafs have to say about it, along with the Hurricanes, Coyotes, Kings, Ducks, Sabres and a few more.

I've already seen a lot of Laffs fans saying "ha, we take the picks and laugh".

Yeah, good luck getting anyone half as good as Marner with those picks.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

UFA
RFA

There is precisely zero chance Rieder gets more than league min after a 0 goal season.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
There is precisely zero chance Rieder gets more than league min after a 0 goal season.

You know I thought the same thing but I would not be surprised if someone ponies up a million and a half for a year or two thinking he was a victim of the Edmonton Oiler shitshow last year and not a cause. Just so long as it is not us and hopefully it is the Flames.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Between Rieder and Khaira they combined for 126 games and 3 goals. They can gtfo,
Petrovic was -7 in 9 games, he can gtfo.
Rattie 4 goals, gtfo.
Puli, if not for his draft pedigree and age... well let’s hope a new coach and his surgery are the answer.
Chaisson, if he thinks he’s worth 3+ he can gtfo. If not for his hot streak to start the year he’s the same player Washington let go, we should do the same.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Between Rieder and Khaira they combined for 126 games and 3 goals. They can gtfo,
Petrovic was -7 in 9 games, he can gtfo.
Rattie 4 goals, gtfo.
Puli, if not for his draft pedigree and age... well let’s hope a new coach and his surgery are the answer.
Chaisson, if he thinks he’s worth 3+ he can gtfo. If not for his hot streak to start the year he’s the same player Washington let go, we should do the same.

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad