Evilo's L1 prospect thread

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
After being asked quite often to comment or develop reports on some L1/L2/Youth teams prospects coming from here, I thought I could make a thread where I'll make a scouting report once in a while when I have time.
Note that I'm involved in a keeper league which may sometimes make me delay some reports until I picked up the guy :D
I'll take some requests when I'm at ease with the player.

I'll start with Guillaume Le Roux, Brest.
Guy is 2005 born and is PERFECTLY at ease with both feet. As an example, he shoots right corners with his left foot and left corners with his right foot.
Never since Ousmane Dembele have we seen someone totally ambidextruous.
Guy is playing U17 football and has scored 31 goals while starting from the bench half the time.
He's quick, technical, has everything you want in a scorer except one thing : he's damn small.
He's 1.72 cm and that's been a real problem for him.
Scouts and coaches don't want to see him on a wing despite his small size.
He has another drawback, he sucks in the air (size doesn't always mean you're bad in the air, but he is).
As a forte, he scored 18 goals with his right foot and 13 with his left foot. Quite amazing.

Someone to keep an eye on. Probably a big chance he never makes it because of his size. I'd move to Spain ASAP because small players can get some real chances there. His potential is probably not immense, but he clearly has a nice pro potential. Kalimuendo is a comparison (but way more powerful). Gameiro too.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Second prospect of the day is also a 2005, this time from Angers.

Jean Matteo Bahoya
He's an AMC/SS/striker who is deadly around and in the box. He scored 34 goals and 19 assists in U17/U19 competition (!!!).
He just turned pro this summer.
Very subtle technically, especially in movement. He makes the right play, which demonstrates high IQ. He also has very quick feet (but not overly fast). He has an excellent right foot and a very good left foot (still needs some work).
Contrary to Le Roux, he's not small at all (1.80) but needs to get stronger.
He has higher upside than Le Roux.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
After being asked quite often to comment or develop reports on some L1/L2/Youth teams prospects coming from here, I thought I could make a thread where I'll make a scouting report once in a while when I have time.
Note that I'm involved in a keeper league which may sometimes make me delay some reports until I picked up the guy :D
I'll take some requests when I'm at ease with the player.

I'll start with Guillaume Le Roux, Brest.
Guy is 2005 born and is PERFECTLY at ease with both feet. As an example, he shoots right corners with his left foot and left corners with his right foot.
Never since Ousmane Dembele have we seen someone totally ambidextruous.
Guy is playing U17 football and has scored 31 goals while starting from the bench half the time.
He's quick, technical, has everything you want in a scorer except one thing : he's damn small.
He's 1.72 cm and that's been a real problem for him.
Scouts and coaches don't want to see him on a wing despite his small size.
He has another drawback, he sucks in the air (size doesn't always mean you're bad in the air, but he is).
As a forte, he scored 18 goals with his right foot and 13 with his left foot. Quite amazing.

Someone to keep an eye on. Probably a big chance he never makes it because of his size. I'd move to Spain ASAP because small players can get some real chances there. His potential is probably not immense, but he clearly has a nice pro potential. Kalimuendo is a comparison (but way more powerful). Gameiro too.

I remember another Le Roux from Brest, Yvon. Because of the big age cap, they probably aren't related, though. And Yvon was a big defender.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Today we're going to talk about a more known name : Ismael Gharbi

He's a 2004, PSG LW/AMC/RW
He has french, tunisian and spanish nationalities. I think his mother has spanish parents while his dad has tunisian origins.
He represented France in every youth category. But Spain (and Portugal) have a guy in Paris directly responsible for making kids change their mind and he has recently represented Spain in U18 competition.
It's only youth teams so he can change anytime he wants for now.

Anyway, the guy is a real talent on the verge of cracking the first team, and has already played one game of L1 with PSG. If he were playing on a lesser team he would probably start regularly.
He's short (1.67-1.70) but really talented in small spaces and can dribble anyone. His passing is also a huge plus. He's more than decent in font of goal as well. He's one of those guys who can make the right move in the last 20 meters.
He's the guy who met Messi in training and told him "if you need anything just ask me". Messi laughed and Poch told Messi "es un crack".
He's ambitious, big character with leadership skills.
Obviously, his size means he won't overpower anyone, and his character needs to be kept in check.
I also think his current situation (can't seem to break into PSG's group) is going to make him leave ASAP. He had tons of offers last summer and chose to resign, probably promised to get some playing time.
PSG have a small group of players that train with the pros and are called "elite group". But they're still playing with the youth teams even though they have pro level. I'm pretty sure he was promised some time.
He played in a friendly this week and was absolutely fantastic. But obviously, when the stars come back for the L1 game, I doubt he sees anything more than a bench (which would be great).

It's a common theme for PSG for a while now. They have too many players and when they don't start their big 3, they give time to players who are probably not better than the young guys but who have been benched for a full season (like Sarabia in the case of Gharbi).

My thoughts : good upside, could really be an above average pro or even stardom. BUT his lack of playing time at his current level (pro) might hurt his development long term.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Second prospect of the day is also a 2004 : Mohamed-Ali Cho
He's now playing for Real Sociedad and before that for Angers.
He's a winger/striker.
He has a weird development, following his parents around. He's born in Paris, raised for a while in London and has been through PSG and Everton academies after his father moved for professional reasons. In 2019, with tons of proposals, he surprised everyone by choosing Angers' academy to finish his development.
He has french, english and moroccan nationalities. So far he has represented England in U16 and France since (including U21).
He was the 3rd 2004 born player to play in the big 5 leagues and the 2nd scorer from that year after Moukoko.
Cho has tremendous dribbling and passing ability. He is quite explosive off the dribble. He also has a pro body.
He has tons of work to do in the last 20 meters though. For all his talent, his end product has lacked both in terms of goals and assists.
With Angers it could be quite frustrating, and from what I heard, it is the same with Sociedad.
His upside is huge, but he could also end up as one of those wingers who can unbalance a defense on two steps and end up getting a corner at most.
I liked the fact he was sometimes played at striker. He's obviously not that efficient there, but it forces him to simplify his game and to understand the strikers movements better.
As of now he has 2 assists in 7 liga games (of bits of games). In his second season with Angers, he played 32 games (not all as starters but a good chunk still) and ended up with 4+1.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Second prospect of the day is also a 2004 : Mohamed-Ali Cho
He's now playing for Real Sociedad and before that for Angers.
He's a winger/striker.
He has a weird development, following his parents around. He's born in Paris, raised for a while in London and has been through PSG and Everton academies after his father moved for professional reasons. In 2019, with tons of proposals, he surprised everyone by choosing Angers' academy to finish his development.
He has french, english and moroccan nationalities. So far he has represented England in U16 and France since (including U21).
He was the 3rd 2004 born player to play in the big 5 leagues and the 2nd scorer from that year after Moukoko.
Cho has tremendous dribbling and passing ability. He is quite explosive off the dribble. He also has a pro body.
He has tons of work to do in the last 20 meters though. For all his talent, his end product has lacked both in terms of goals and assists.
With Angers it could be quite frustrating, and from what I heard, it is the same with Sociedad.
His upside is huge, but he could also end up as one of those wingers who can unbalance a defense on two steps and end up getting a corner at most.
I liked the fact he was sometimes played at striker. He's obviously not that efficient there, but it forces him to simplify his game and to understand the strikers movements better.
As of now he has 2 assists in 7 liga games (of bits of games). In his second season with Angers, he played 32 games (not all as starters but a good chunk still) and ended up with 4+1.
Unfortunately got injured for Real Sociedad when he had a good chance to grab a starting spot for good with both Mikel and Sadiq out. Will be harder to get that now with Mikel recovered from his big injury. I liked a lot what I saw from him, reminded me a bit of Dembele. Big potential.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Ilyes Housni (2005) scored twice in that same friendly. Looks like this autumn has been his coming out part scoringwise. What do you make of him now?

PSG youth teams don't seem to have much success in domestic youth competitions during the past decade or so, although they did win the UEFA youth league in 2016. Is it because their most talented guys move onto to men's level early?

And to fair, PSG has loaned out, what 6-7 senior players, so they have cleared some room for youngsters to play. And at the end of last season, I remember them giving some matches for young players. Not key roles, though.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'll do a Housni profile down the road.
PSG youth setups don't put any pressure on results. They don't care. They focus on development and many players are asked to play differently to fill individual objectives.
For the example, they once asked Rabiot to play one or two touches all game long. He wasn't allowed to carry the ball or dribble.
Yes PSG has cleared their depth somewhat, and that's why Bitshiabu and Zaire Emery have seen time. But that's still peanuts.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Today's prospect is : Mohamed El Arouch

He's a 2004 Lyon DMC/AMC/MC, very small (1.66) and thin.
Physically, he's nothing like you'd expect from an star prospect.

And yet, he's one of the best midfield prospect in the game.
Guy can do it all. He defends well, he reads the play like few can, can pass, shoot (especially from distance) can shoot FK, PK, corners, uses his body well, is rather quick, he's a leader, extremely mature, he's two footed... he's a damn joy to watch on a football pitch. He's often compared to Thiago Alcantara.
Obviously, his size is a major concern, but apart from that he's bound to become at worst a very very good pro. As for his potential, well, it's sky high. If he can physically handle the pro game, he could turn out into a Thiago or someone similar.

Reactions: Gecklund

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Quentin Merlin is the other name.
He plays for Nantes, is 2002 born and is playing LB at pro level.

Formed as a LW, Quentin Merlin was part of the storied 2002 generation that rolled over everyone in U19 french national championship (including with one of my students, Gor Manvelyan who finished best scorer and best passer).
Nantes was high on him to be a decent LW at pro level, maybe even above average. What they didn't expect (nor him probably) was that after some trouble at LB they had to play him there and boy oh boy was he impressive there.
Quick, with a delicate left foot that is a major threat on passing and crosses, his determination and IQ allows him to be extremely reliable at the defensive position as well.
He's smart and his qualities as a LW (quickness, crossing) are obviously a huge plus at LB.
He's now seen as arguably the most promising LB in L1 (Nuno Mendes excluded).
Upside isn't a huge, but he could be something close to Digne if everything goes right.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He was to be a future post, but given the news and the clips, let me introduce you to :
Elisse Ben Seghir
Monaco, Left wing, right footed, 2005.
He's the brother of Salim Ben Seghir who moved from Nice to OM and was hyped as big prospect. So far he hasn't had the chance to prove it with the pros with OM.
Eliesse is the younger brother by two years and is an amazing talent.
Today was his first pro game. Monaco wins 3-2 after a brace from the youngster including an absolute screamer.
Great dribbler, great shot, very quick and agile.
Upside is huge.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Given his game tonight for his first start, I'll continue with :
El Chadaille Bitshiabu
2005, CB, left footed, PSG
Guy is 2 meters high, is quite fast, a huge passer (sometimes too risky) and is showing smart play.
His potential is absolutely crazy. And he's already showing signs of maturity and intelligence.
Tonight was his first start, at LB. Except for a play in the first half where his reluctence to use his right foot cost him a turnover that could have been dangerous, he was nearly perfect.
Sky is the limit. His play tonight will surely open some doors to more playing time. He already has L1 level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad