Online Series: Evil Genius (Netflix Original)

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Couldn't find a thread so please delete if it already exists but I read up on this story a few years back and watched 2 of the 4 episodes last night on Netflix, a bit of a making a murderer feel to it, for those into murder mystery type docs I would highly recommend it. Not for the faint of heart that's for sure!

Anyone else watching this doc series right now?

Evil Genius (TV Series 2017– ) - IMDb

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I have a few shows to catch up on, but I really want to watch this. I remember the general story from when it happened too and it really is one of the craziest stories in memory.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I have a few shows to catch up on, but I really want to watch this. I remember the general story from when it happened too and it really is one of the craziest stories in memory.

It's so bizarre and at least some of the early footage especially of the stand off is so very creepy and then also heartbreaking imo, surprised more aren't talking about it yet!

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I saw it. 4 episodes, so really fast. It was good, but could have been even better.

Some confusion on some of the parties involved.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Watched it.. really liked it. Although, yeah, there's some graphic footage in it which makes you sick to your stomach.

Very, very messed up.. some absolute criminal brilliance mixed with just a lack of common sense.. a lot of mystery remains but I think I have it figured out based on what was confessed and all the other circumstantial evidence/commentary.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
What was the deal with the second pizza delivery driver? I feel like they didn't really explain what the deal was with him.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
What was the deal with the second pizza delivery driver? I feel like they didn't really explain what the deal was with him.
No facts. Just speculation. OD'd. No foul play involved.

My speculation is that it's likely he knew something, felt guilty, accidentally OD'd? Not sure.

Agree with @WeThreeKings that it's pretty easy to draw the conclusion, but hard to prove.

The number $250,000 was thrown around way too much to be coincidence. Rothstein wanted that for his house. Barnes asked MDA for that amount to off her father. The bank robbery was supposed to be for $250K. Another number that popped twice was Barnes asking for $100K up front from MDA, and that number was also in the instructions for Wells.

Reactions: TP and WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

My guess is that he was a junky who OD'ed and the tipping point was that he was working the same day as Brian and could have gotten the call (though he didn't know at the time that he was somewhat in on it/manipulated and lied to about his part to play in it). Survivor's guilt mixed with drug addiction is a deadly combination.

Reactions: silverfish and TP

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Watched it and really enjoyed it. Felt really bad for Brian Wells's family...

Also, living in Erie for 8 years made all of those locations extremely familiar. Hell, I lived just blocks from that Federal Courthouse.

They made Erie look much nicer than it is.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So, for those who watched it.. what was your interpretation, here's mine:

Rothstein, Diehl-Armstrong obviously coordinated the whole thing. Rothstein created the bomb, Diehl-Armstrong manipulated those who were involved and got the drug dealer to be a part of it. Diehl-Armstrong's boyfriend was definitely supposed to be a part of it but got cold feet which is why they killed him. Brian Wells was recruited by the Prostitute to help in exchange for crack. I do believe that Brian Wells was in on it to the point that he was going to be an accomplice but didn't know the bomb was real. I believe the statement of the two cell-mates who said that Diehl-Armstrong had said "It's not like we didn't measure Brian Well's neck for the bomb". Somewhere along the line they decided he would be a loose end that needed to be tied up so they went with a real bomb.

The scavenger hunt designed for the keys shows that it was entirely pre-meditated for Brian to be a part of it since in the first episode his landlord said he loved trying to solve them in the newspaper and got really close once. Brian looked like a lonely guy, indulging in prostitutes, and was likely easily manipulated and lied to. He definitely didn't know the bomb was real because of how he acted in the bank and how he reacted and demeanor changed when the timer started clicking on the collar bomb.

The stupidity comes in how they thought they were ever going to get the money from Brian. They did not get that part of the plan correct at all.. even the police (though I don't know if I believe them since they seemed severely incompetent) said he would have never survived if he did the scavenger hunt. I'm no law enforcement officer but on the off chance that this guy was correct, I would have dispatched a group of officers to each location for the keys.. not only to maybe catch who is waiting in those locations to get the money from Brian, but also to toss those keys at Brian.. at worst, he unlocks the bomb.. at most he detonates it and you stay at a safe distance with guns drawn as what happened in the end.

Reactions: silverfish and TP

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Watched it.. really liked it. Although, yeah, there's some graphic footage in it which makes you sick to your stomach.

Very, very messed up.. some absolute criminal brilliance mixed with just a lack of common sense.. a lot of mystery remains but I think I have it figured out based on what was confessed and all the other circumstantial evidence/commentary.

The scene where he seemingly realized the bomb was real gave me a very sad feeling for the guy even though I suspect he was initially in on it

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I think...

MDA and Rothstein were the masterminds, and manipulated everyone else involved. MDA knew she could plan it with his help, Rothstein knew he could build the bomb. I think the $250K was for Rothstein's estate, and MDA would get a piece of it after realizing her dad wasn't going to leave her any $.

I bet MDA wanted Barnes in on it as a patsy or a third body, of sorts. So she went to him like, hey, kill my dad. Barnes talking about $250K is too much of a coincidence here, but they made such a point of making MDA and Rothstein so much smarter than everyone else that it wouldn't surprise me if she "incepted" Barnes in a way to make him think that $250k was run of the mill.

I believe Hoopsick when she says she got Wells involved. I believe Wells never believed the bomb was real until the timer started going off. I believe Wells only got involved out of a love for Hoopsick.

Eerie PA did a miserable job. When the guy is like: "Oh, that's weird, there's a van at the dropoff site. Let me do NOTHING about this". Are you serious?

I think when Rothstein realized that MDA killed Roden, he was like... oh shit, I gotta get ahead of this crazy person, and then started becoming the informant

MDA's dad is the real MVP though.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
As I mentioned on reddit, I don't get how if Wells wasn't in on it, how come he was so calm at the bank? They mentioned it in the first episode only to never mention it again.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
As I mentioned on reddit, I don't get how if Wells wasn't in on it, how come he was so calm at the bank? They mentioned it in the first episode only to never mention it again.

He was definitely in on it in some capacity and was told the bomb wasn't real. Just a show piece to help the robbery.

Reactions: silverfish

Babe Ruth

Proud member of the precariat working class.
Feb 2, 2016
Something I may have missed.. was it explained why the big guy suddenly called in to report the frozen body. That began the (seemingly self-induced) breaking open of the bank robbery case, no ?

Did it mention or elaborate on how his relationship rapidly altered, to where he deliberately put MDA (& himself) in the cross hairs of law enforcement.. before his call, they weren't suspects in the bank robbery yet we're they (?)

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Something I may have missed.. was it explained why the big guy suddenly called in to report the frozen body. That began the (seemingly self-induced) breaking open of the bank robbery case, no ?

Did it mention or elaborate on how his relationship rapidly altered, to where he deliberately put MDA (& himself) in the cross hairs of law enforcement.. before his call, they weren't suspects in the bank robbery yet we're they (?)

He said he didn't kill him and just tried to help. I think the cops kinda of hit it on the head in that he thought he could outsmart anyone. I think he was more so pissed at her.

As far as Wells being in on it. Maybe convinced to do it but he is so calm and collected grabbing a lollypop in the bank. Maybe he doesn't think it's a real bomb but you're still in the act of a bank robbery. He seemed to freak out quite a bit when it started beeping though.

Babe Ruth

Proud member of the precariat working class.
Feb 2, 2016
Rothstein said he didn't kill him and just tried to help. I think the cops kinda of hit it on the head in that he thought he could outsmart anyone. I think he was more so pissed at her.

74, yeah Rothstein was obviously angry @ her to report the dead body.. What I'm getting at, is they were co-conspirators days before he reported the unknown (to law enforcement) frozen corpse. And there was no heat on them yet for the bank bomb..
What flipped his switch to suddenly start engaging in reckless, self-incriminating behavior. Did the documentary elaborate or theorize on that.. bcuz I may have just missed it (?)

If not, what say HFers on Rothstein's behavior (?) Was it simply guilty conscience (?)

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
74, yeah Rothstein was obviously angry @ her to report the dead body.. What I'm getting at, is they were co-conspirators days before he reported the unknown (to law enforcement) frozen corpse. And there was no heat on them yet for the bank bomb..
What flipped his switch to suddenly start engaging in reckless, self-incriminating behavior. Did the documentary elaborate or theorize on that.. bcuz I may have just missed it (?)

If not, what say HFers on Rothstein's behavior (?) Was it simply guilty conscience (?)

Speculation from the documentary was that he knew he was sick (the cancer that killed him) so that could have changed his mind.. or, since he was so infatuated with her, and her boyfriend died, but nothing happened following that.. that maybe he decided to get in front of her.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Pure speculation: But I can't imagine that the conversations between MDA and Rothstein were super cheery following how poorly the heist went. Maybe they got in a fight, and Rothstein was like, okay f*** this, I have her dead boyfriend in my freezer, let me act cool to the cops about this, paint her as a psycho, and put her in the spotlight.

Also: What are the odds that all three of these people, MDA, Rothstein, and Barnes are all classic hoarders?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->