Prospect Info: Evgeny Svechnikov

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
A lot has changed since February, he needs to play hockey and we might not be playing for a long time.

I could see the Wings actually being totally fine with this. I have little doubt they will toll his contract.

In a month in a half we might be loaning Seider back to Mannheim.

Yeah.

There was these same rumors in february, when there was no corona stoppage.

That has changed everything. Even though there could be late NHL season, there will be normal-scheduled KHL season starting in Sebtember 2nd. Lots of hockey before we know anything about NHL/AHL.

AHL season cancelled, the next one possibly too, is more of a bigger factor in here, because of other Wings prospects won't have place to play. Then you should split all these borderline guys to European leagues as much possible.

Next season will an odd one. After that, Helm, Filppula and Glendening are probably gone and somebody else could be lost in expansion draft. Lots of roster spots open and then all "european sendings" can come back.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
This has to be the make it or break it year of Evgeny. After 3 underwhelming years he NEEDS to step it up this year. He will be 24 years old this year. Potential is still 2nd/3rd line but if he still struggles in the AHL I don't think he will become anything for us. Maybe a change in scenery can kickstart his performance? Still love this kid and he oozes skill, it just has not come out yet due to injuries and inconsistent performance.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This has to be the make it or break it year of Evgeny. After 3 underwhelming years he NEEDS to step it up this year. He will be 24 years old this year. Potential is still 2nd/3rd line but if he still struggles in the AHL I don't think he will become anything for us. Maybe a change in scenery can kickstart his performance? Still love this kid and he oozes skill, it just has not come out yet due to injuries and inconsistent performance.

He needs to step up and that KNEE HAS TO STAY healthy. No afford for setbacks anymore.

It also could be that the knee never will be same again, and then he will become another Grigorenko. Injuries killed a great prospect. Just bad luck and you couldn't see that from a crystal ball.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yzerman needs to dangle him and see if anyone bites

I would trade him for a 3rd right now, as I don't foresee his value getting higher than that. Although I don't think anyone gives a 3rd for him right now, as best case scenario is acquiring another struggling/injury concern "prospect".

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I would trade him for a 3rd right now, as I don't foresee his value getting higher than that. Although I don't think anyone gives a 3rd for him right now, as best case scenario is acquiring another struggling/injury concern "prospect".
We don't know his real value until he start playing. Last year he wasn't % . I'd rather see him than Perliny or Abi . He should be 3 rd line next year

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
We don't know his real value until he start playing. Last year he wasn't % . I'd rather see him than Perliny or Abi . He should be 3 rd line next year

Thing is, this gets said about him every season, and at some point he is what he is.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I always believed in his talent, but he's just never really gotten it going. A lot of that is bad luck and injury timing, but he has still gotten a few opportunities and hasn't done much.

I don't even really see where he fits in anymore in the scope of the rebuild, even if he does put it all together.

Still, I'd be disappointed if we got rid of him (barring some crazy overpayment) before he gets at least one legit opportunity up on the big club to see if he can work his way to becoming an NHLer. If it doesn't work out there are many easy ways to get rid of him.

FabricDetails

I know enough to know I know nothing
Mar 30, 2009
It also could be that the knee never will be same again, and then he will become another Grigorenko. Injuries killed a great prospect. Just bad luck and you couldn't see that from a crystal ball.

It sucks that we never even got a chance to really see what "the same" was/is. We really don't know how good he'd be if he became a fixture in the lineup. I believe he's done everything within his power thus far to be on the Red Wings. We really don't know the scope of what his body will allow him to do for these next few years. Would be a good idea to play in the KHL for a few years, make money while getting his lower body right and then come back? I thought an organization "owns a prospect's rights" as long as they don't trade them?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->