Prospect Info: Evgeny Svechnikov

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
There is no real info on his latest injury, but its terrible timing for him to be injured, it's basically just like last season. I thought he played well in the preseason and was looking forward to seeing him play with the wings.

What do you guys think: If the injury has a similar effect on him like last season, is his time with the wings over? Will other prospects just take his place in the system and outproduce him? If yes, who do you think will be his "rivals" for a roster spot?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Wings will be patient with him as he has decent skill/size/youth/draft pedigree etc. Worst case scenario is he stays in GR most of the season getting healthy & producing offense & rounding out his game. He's closer to the NHL than Z2, having already played in 16 gms & not looking out of place. Best case scenario, he gets healthy soon & will be up by Nov.? but only if he is playing. Pressbox isn't an option a la Frk who should be traded/packaged w/AA? for a Dman. He could also be Nyquist's replacement by TDL.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I'm guessing his injury is what allowed Ehn to make the roster. Once Svech is healthy, I would assume he spends some time in the AHL getting back to game speed. Assuming things go well I would imagine he plays a handful of games at which point the staff reevaluates their options with Ehn, Svech and Zadina. If Ehn continues to play well Svech will be in tough to get back into the roster unless he finds another level not previously seen in the AHL.

Personally, I have no issues with Svech starting on the 4th line. He is notoriously hard on himself so it will be important to convey that how he plays is more important than the results he gets in this role. I think his mix of skill and tenacity should give him an opportunity to excel in the bottom 6.

Long term I see him and Bert in a similar light; Guys that can compliment our scorers in the top6/9.

Reactions: Henkka

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
They introduced him on opening night and had him sitting with the other injured Wings which lead me to believe he'll be with the Wings when he gets healthy. Just a guess though.

I'd prefer to see Witkowski sent down so Svech can get some ice time. It's also possible that Ehn is only up to fill Svech's spot.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What do you guys think: If the injury has a similar effect on him like last season, is his time with the wings over? Will other prospects just take his place in the system and outproduce him? If yes, who do you think will be his "rivals" for a roster spot?

Time will probably not be over, but we should start thinking him as a Bottom6 player, if the development is slowed again.

When we will get all the Elite talent from becoming drafts to join Zadina, Veleno etc. there's not spot for Svechnikov anymore on the top lines. But why not could he could he still be on the team?

He could feel like a missed pick on a strong draft on that #19 overall, but that's how NHL life goes. Injuries change the fate and you can't hit with every pick.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Time will probably not be over, but we should start thinking him as a Bottom6 player, if the development is slowed again.

When we will get all the Elite talent from becoming drafts to join Zadina, Veleno etc. there's not spot for Svechnikov anymore on the top lines. But why not could he could he still be on the team?

He could feel like a missed pick on a strong draft on that #19 overall, but that's how NHL life goes. Injuries change the fate and you can't hit with every pick.

I still wouldn't count your Veleno's before they hatch. In his first 5 games he's been fine, but his production so far has been no different than it was to end the season last year.

Reactions: avssuc

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Some players also take longer to develop, for different reasons & varying degrees:

-Sedins were pretty crappy their first 3-4 seasons

-Barkov, had a slow start

-Duncan Keith
until his 3rd season

Hedman
Pasta
Brent Burns
Jake Muzzin
Tim Thomas
Kyle Turris
Martin St. Louis

Jason Zucker
Dadonov
Radulov
Niederreiter
Schultz
Rakell
Wheeler
Brian Dumolin
Boychuk
Kadri
Olli Jokinen

Thomas Hickey
Chara
HASEK!
Todd Bertuzzi!
Marcus Naslund

Ryan Johansen
LeClair

N.Foligno
JVR
William Karlsson
Ladd
Orlov
Joe Thornton!
Ray Whitney

...and our very own "Mr. Intangibles" & Kenny's prodigal son, Dan Cleary

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I still wouldn't count your Veleno's before they hatch. In his first 5 games he's been fine, but his production so far has been no different than it was to end the season last year.

Not worried about Veleno. He is not gonna be our future 1st line center, but part of the strong core.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Some players also take longer to develop, for different reasons & varying degrees:

-Sedins were pretty crappy their first 3-4 seasons

-Barkov, had a slow start

-Duncan Keith
until his 3rd season

Hedman
Pasta
Brent Burns
Jake Muzzin
Tim Thomas
Kyle Turris
Martin St. Louis

Jason Zucker
Dadonov
Radulov
Niederreiter
Schultz
Rakell
Wheeler
Brian Dumolin
Boychuk
Kadri
Olli Jokinen

Thomas Hickey
Chara
HASEK!
Todd Bertuzzi!
Marcus Naslund
Ryan Johansen
LeClair

N.Foligno
JVR
William Karlsson
Ladd
Orlov
Joe Thornton!
Ray Whitney

...and our very own "Mr. Intangibles" & Kenny's prodigal son, Dan Cleary
Who is pasta?

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Not worried about Veleno. He is not gonna be our future 1st line center, but part of the strong core.
You don't know that. I don 't think many would have thought Datsyiuk would be a first line center the year he was drafted. From everything I have seen this summer, he seems like someone who could develop into a good 1st line center.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I find it troubling that we hear nothing about the injury or about him returning to practice. He just seems to be off the grid at this point.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There is no real info on his latest injury, but its terrible timing for him to be injured, it's basically just like last season. I thought he played well in the preseason and was looking forward to seeing him play with the wings.

We will be inserted to our bottom6/middle6 very soon. Takes a spot from a guy like De La Rose.

Svechnikov is one our identity players. Hard working, big, strong and physical winger. Pain in the ass to play against.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I find it troubling that we hear nothing about the injury or about him returning to practice. He just seems to be off the grid at this point.

Knee injuries take that 4 months at minimum. This happened 2 months ago.

Evgeny Svechnikov underwent successful surgery on his right knee Tuesday.
Svechnikov is expected to miss five-to-six months after he required anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. He was injured late in the preseason and started the year on Detroit's non-roster injured list. Oct 16 - 5:21 PM

Five months from October 16 = March 16.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida

I find this the most likely scenario as well. The good thing is he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and attitude. One thing I was always impressed with was his upper body strength, as several times I recall him knocking down players harder than most players can with little momentum. Even if the offense never comes, he at least could be an effective bottom 6 players, ideally a 3rd liner who can chip in offense, similar to Cleary.

I’m rooting for him. Seems like a good kid. Yeah, it sucks he hasnt panned out, especially given the talent picked around him, but that’s the luck of the draft

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I find this the most likely scenario as well. The good thing is he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and attitude. One thing I was always impressed with was his upper body strength, as several times I recall him knocking down players harder than most players can with little momentum. Even if the offense never comes, he at least could be an effective bottom 6 players, ideally a 3rd liner who can chip in offense, similar to Cleary.

I’m rooting for him. Seems like a good kid. Yeah, it sucks he hasnt panned out, especially given the talent picked around him, but that’s the luck of the draft
I'm not willing to look at him as a bottom 6 nhler when the reason he isn't playing is due to injury. He has offensive talent on a team that can't score he makes our top 6 almost by default if healthy.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
He has offensive talent on a team that can't score he makes our top 6 almost by default if healthy.
Have you forgotten about his (lack of) skating ability? The guy makes Abdelkader look like an acceptable skater... and he just suffered a major knee injury. Svechnikov needs to prove his NHL career isn't over before we start slotting him anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: newfy

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Have you forgotten about his (lack of) skating ability? The guy makes Abdelkader look like an acceptable skater... and he just suffered a major knee injury. Svechnikov needs to prove his NHL career isn't over before we start slotting him anywhere.
He's actually a great skater for his size.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Svechnikov biggest problem is skating, but he is hard working hockey ethics will help him to be hockey player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad