Recalled/Assigned: Evgeny Svechnikov

Top Shelfer

Bingo Bango!
Dec 22, 2008
The Motor City
Sakhalin Island. Any other current or former NHL player ever from there? This island is huge and north of Japan so I predict not. I can't name one current or former NHLer from Siberia.
One thing is for sure. You grow up there and you are probably tough.

Dec 27, 2002
Dat mitten
Sakhalin Island. Any other current or former NHL player ever from there? This island is huge and north of Japan so I predict not. I can't name one current or former NHLer from Siberia.
One thing is for sure. You grow up there and you are probably tough.

Alexander Mogilny is from Khabarovsk.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaase play tomorrow. I will be at the game in Ottawa!

According to Blashill in his post game comments, he did mentioned that Svech will be another chance to play for the Wings in Ottawa on Tues. Howard will be in goal for the Wings should be the only lineup change for the Wings on Tues. At least that is what I take of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2umKbXWbIc

Last edited:

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
According to Blashill in his post game comments, he did mentioned that Svech will be another chance to play for the Wings in Ottawa on Wed. Howard will be in goal for the Wings should be the only lineup change for the Wings on Wed. At least that is what I take of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2umKbXWbIc

Actually they play in Ottawa tonight.

Was at the game last night. Kid looked solid.

Kind of skates like Samuelsson but he's definitely a very intriguing player. You could see some resilience to his game, always hustling. We need more of that.

I would definitely be intrigued to see more of him.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Actually they play in Ottawa tonight.

Was at the game last night. Kid looked solid.

Kind of skates like Samuelsson but he's definitely a very intriguing player. You could see some resilience to his game, always hustling. We need more of that.

I would definitely be intrigued to see more of him.

I thought he looked like Smauellson too wearing 37 and skating like him. He played good though made some nice passes.

He definitely looks big out there. Draft Patrick and have a future huge line of Svech Patrick and Mantha. Try getting them off the cycle

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I thought he looked like Smauellson too wearing 37 and skating like him. He played good though made some nice passes.

He definitely looks big out there. Draft Patrick and have a future huge line of Svech Patrick and Mantha. Try getting them off the cycle

Better yet, draft the other Svechnikov next year. Could have some real chemistry there.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Better yet, draft the other Svechnikov next year. Could have some real chemistry there.

With our injuries (Franzen, Kronwall, Weiss, etc.) and other misfortunes this is just the type of luck Detroit could use.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'm 100% sold. Don't know why it took me nearly 6 periods to realize it but the kid is legit. Big body like Sheahan who made a few moves no one on the Wings this season could pull off the way he did last night.

Bring him up next season and I think it's possible he matches Larkin, AA, or Mantha in points. It would be so much better than another UFA forward like Vrbata or Vanek.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Mantha, Larkin, AA and Svech is a good very young core of forwards. Also got Givanni and Lil Bert. No just need to get rid of some of those bad contracts and garbage players. Ugh.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm 100% sold. Don't know why it took me nearly 6 periods to realize it but the kid is legit. Big body like Sheahan who made a few moves no one on the Wings this season could pull off the way he did last night.

Bring him up next season and I think it's possible he matches Larkin, AA, or Mantha in points. It would be so much better than another UFA forward like Vrbata or Vanek.

If we want a better team and not just play the kids and hope for a great pick, I don't see why we couldn't have Svech up next year and sign a UFA like Vanek.

Tatar-Z-Nyquist
Svech-Larkin-Vanek
Athanasiou-Nielsen-Mantha

Yeah, I know we need help on D more, but that's a top9 that looks productive on paper. It also means we'd be looking at Sheahan-Helm-Gator on the fourth line. That's an expensive fourth line but it is what it is at this point.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
He has a great backstory too:

The saga of Svechnikov starts in Neftegorsk, Russia, an oil-producing settlement on the northern end of the island of Sakhalin where his family lived until 1995, the year a devastating 7.5 magnitude earthquake killed nearly 2,000 of the town’s 3,500 inhabitants, including all but one of his grandparents.

His parents moved 480 miles south to Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, a city that had been called Toyohara until Japan lost control of that portion of the once-disputed island in the final days of World War II. It was in this Soviet outpost that Evgeny was born on Oct. 31, 1996. His family soon moved again, heading some 3,783 miles west to Barnaul, or roughly the distance from Detroit to Anchorage.

It wasn’t long before the play of the Svechnikov brothers in Barnaul began to attract the attention of adults beyond the local rink. The boys’ talents were soon coveted by hockey clubs far and wide. They caught the eye of Evgeny Larionov, a brother of Igor Larionov, the Hockey Hall of Famer and former Detroit Red Wings center.

Larionov, a friend of Svechnikov’s coach at the time, saw great promise in the then-11-year-old and his younger brother. He persuaded the family to pack up their belongings and move to Moscow to further develop the boys’ skills.

“If we didn’t move to Moscow, I don’t know where I would be right now,” he said. “It was a big step for my mom and dad. From every city, they moved from job to job and it was really hard on them. They sacrificed so much for us.”

His mom worked two jobs, serving as a receptionist at the rink during the day and cleaning floors at night. His dad, who had delivered cakes for a living in Barnaul, was now driving a hearse that picked up Moscow’s newly deceased.

“We had nothing in our family,” Svechnikov said. “My parents worked very hard so they had money to feed us. It was real tough on them.”

http://griffinshockey.com/news-stats/griffiti/index.html?article_id=3491

Evgeny Svechnikov never debated what he would do with the money he earned from his NHL entry-level deal with the Detroit Red Wings.

When the three-year contract was finalized in October, he sent his signing bonus straight to his parents, Elena and Igor Svechnikov, who live in Kazan, Russia.

“They need it more than me,” said the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles sophomore star. “I have a very good life, much better than theirs.”

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comment...ts-for-major-assists-in-his-hockey-upbringing

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
can't my occasional stabs at levity just be an occasional stab at levity?

seriously, getting him more games in GR makes sense, just find the timing funny and how it dovetails with the crash and burn at all costs mentality around here.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Malik speculation...

Svech is in Winnipeg and will play for the Griffins tonight. Then next game would be back in GR on Sat vs Cleveland and travel to Cleveland on Sunday. Guessing the Wings might call up Frk, Lorito, or Tangradi (if he is able to play) as their final call ups to use.

Would not make sense for the Wings to put Svech back in GR to play in Winnipeg tonight (3 straight games he would have played in 3 different cities), come back to GR to play on Saturday, and play in Detroit on Sunday. Might as well keep him in Detroit for the last 2 games and bring him back to GR with the others after Sunday's game.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Geno just scored on the PP in his 1st Game back in the 2nd Period... Axel Holmstrom with the primary assist (1st Point)

Svech got the assist on the OT winner that Axel Holmstrom scored (his 1st NA pro goal & GWG). Griffins win 2-1 (OT) and stay in 1st place in the Central Division.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
If we want a better team and not just play the kids and hope for a great pick, I don't see why we couldn't have Svech up next year and sign a UFA like Vanek.

Tatar-Z-Nyquist
Svech-Larkin-Vanek
Athanasiou-Nielsen-Mantha

Yeah, I know we need help on D more, but that's a top9 that looks productive on paper. It also means we'd be looking at Sheahan-Helm-Gator on the fourth line. That's an expensive fourth line but it is what it is at this point.

That's a good point about the space for an UFA and I imagine Holland has something like this in mind. Still I very much dislike watching Vanek but whoever it is Svechnikov up should be the priority.

It's been a common argument the Wings over-ripen players but I wonder if they are feeling a bit desperate now to push prospects ahead at a faster pace. NHL management routinely underrate what the youngest prospects can contribute. More than ever we see rookies helping carry teams after being forced to fill in. Pittsburgh has been heavily dependent on their drafts as well as Chicago this season. LA could not have won without Taffoli, Muzzin, and Pearson taking the league by storm, etc.

It seems idiotic Mantha wasn't penned into the opening night roster. Svechnikov is a first round pick and ready to go next season he better be there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad