News Article: Evgeny Medvedev: “ My partners refused to call me “Bearâ€

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
My fellow HFboarders, below is my attempt to translate Medvedev's interview to a Russian media outlet Sportexpress.ru I tried to keep the style as close to the original as possible. Sometimes, it is very difficult to maintain that flow, however. Additionally, I did not yet have time to edit it, unfortunately. So, it might feel a little bit raw.
http://www.sport-express.ru/hockey/nhl/reviews/947654/

This interview was taken before the "Stars" game in Dulles by Natalia Shmeleva (N.S.)

N.S. How did it feel to start your NHL career at 33. You had said before that you did not see yourself in this league.

E.M. Perhaps, it’s from my old interviews. I had stopped considering playing here after signing a contract with “AK Bars”. But, as you can see, I came over to North America at the age of 33. As well as everyone, I have gone through an adaptation period here. I’ve got accustomed to a life pace as well as hockey pace.

N.S. Do you have a feeling that you should have come over earlier?

E.M. (Laughing) we never know what’s ahead (very loosely translated- no exact meaning).

N.S. Your scoring is more modest here than in KHL. Did you anticipate that?

E.M. I was completely dissatisfied with my game in the beginning of the season, there were too many mistakes. Now, I am more or less happy with my game. However, there is plenty to improve upon.

N.S. What’s your biggest impression of the NHL, life in the USA? What is the difference with Russia?

E.M. In absolutely everything! But mostly, hockey is so much faster here. There is a reason it’s the best league in the world with the world’s best players. I am grateful to the Flyers for their interest in me and for their patience with me. They have patiently waited while I was going through the adaptation period. They have tried their best to help me, to advise me. They have provided me with the opportunities to rest and to study games from above, so that I could understand game fundamentals.

N.S. There was a stereotype in Russia that Flyers hate Russians. Have you experienced anything like that?

E.M. My partners welcomed me to the team. They have provided me with the most support. I definitely have communication difficulties, but I keep moving forward with my English.

N.S. What about communication with coaches?

E.M. We talk. If I understand the question I do my best to answer. We have a dialogue and that’s the most important.

N.S. What’s your nick name?

E.M. Medi

N.S. So, they do not associate your name with Russian bear? (Medvedev last name can be loosely translated as bear (CSKA)).

N.S. I had offered them, but they declined. I do not know why.

N.S. Did your family arrive already?

E.M. I had lived without my family for 2 months, and I missed them dearly. They came over in October and helped me to get through the adaptation. My daughter has been going to a day care for about a month now. It seems that she speaks English better than me now. She will start correcting me soon.

N.S. What are the future plans?

E.M. I do not want to think about plans yet. But would want to stay and work here.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He seems to have a very good understanding of his benching and what he needs to do. Great attitude. Realizes that he is not entitled to anything.

joez86

Jan 20, 2006
My pleasure. I enjoyed doing that. I feel that he explained his benching as a learning curve and as a necessary step for his development. I wish coaches and GM had provided this info to us earlier.
Thank you for the translation, as it is always much more accurate to have a human translate than reading a machine translation, which is almost worthless.

I have one question, though, regarding this:
They have provided me with the opportunities to rest and to study games from above, so that I could understand game fundamentals.
This makes it seem like Medvedev requested to be benched, but could he have simply been diplomatic about it (i.e. "sugar-coating" it)? Or are his words impossible to discern for sure without hearing how they were spoken (tone, stress, etc.)?

I actually think it would speak very highly to his character, and bode well for his game in the future, if he really did ask to sit for a bit in order to figure out how to best apply his skillset to the NHL game, but it also would be a good thing to see him have the right attitude towards his benching if he didn't.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, it's obvious then.

We need to extend the "Bear" and pair him with the "Ghost Bear."

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Thank you for the translation, as it is always much more accurate to have a human translate than reading a machine translation, which is almost worthless.

I have one question, though, regarding this:

This makes it seem like Medvedev requested to be benched, but could he have simply been diplomatic about it (i.e. "sugar-coating" it)? Or are his words impossible to discern for sure without hearing how they were spoken (tone, stress, etc.)?

I actually think it would speak very highly to his character, and bode well for his game in the future, if he really did ask to sit for a bit in order to figure out how to best apply his skillset to the NHL game, but it also would be a good thing to see him have the right attitude towards his benching if he didn't.

you prompted me to reread the article. It's hard to discern from his words, there is nothing definitive one way or another. But you are right, his attitude is great.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I like him even more after this interview. Thanks for sharing!

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Great attitude like you guys said, good to see he took the benching well and is committed to learning and adapting. Wouldn't be opposed to hanging onto him for a couple seasons.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
It also dawned on me when reading that, same as joez it seems, if maybe he requested to sit out until he found his game. He clearly has high performance expectations for himself and felt he wasn't meeting them.

I have no negative thoughts towards Medvedev and him doing that would only improve my thoughts about him, and improve my feelings about Hakstol if they had an agreement like that proposed by Medi

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
The title you gave this thread reminds me of one of those Jerry Springer captions :laugh:

He seems like a good guy though with a good work ethic, intent on living up to his own high standards.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
It seems like he's happy here, that's good. I wonder why they declined to call him Bear, though it's not really important.

You can't pick your own nickname even if it was his nickname in Russia. It seems like NA hockey players usually have nicknames that are some version of their last name unless it doesn't work.

Hartnell - Hartsy
Simmonds - Simmer
Laughton - Laughts
Giroux - G
Couturier - Couts
Read - Reader?
White - has to be Whitey - right?

Bellemare - nothing works with this and he's French so is it Frenchy?
Voracek - Jake because what else are you going to call him - Vorey? Vores? doesn't work

To me the worst and absolute gayest nickname in the NHL is Gino. Pens fans write about him like he's their buddy or something - "we played a great game and Gino was awesome - I smell a cup run coming!" And their awful announcers call him Gino sometimes too which is incredibly gay.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I recall hearing it's a Eastern Canada vs. Western Canada thing - like Western CA tacks on the -sy at the end of names, and Eastern CA tacks on -er at the end...or vice versa :help:

Canadians? Your assistance is welcome :laugh:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You can't pick your own nickname even if it was his nickname in Russia. It seems like NA hockey players usually have nicknames that are some version of their last name unless it doesn't work.

Hartnell - Hartsy
Simmonds - Simmer
Laughton - Laughts
Giroux - G
Couturier - Couts
Read - Reader?

Voracek - Jake because what else are you going to call him - Vorey? Vores? doesn't work

To me the worst and absolute gayest nickname in the NHL is Gino. Pens fans write about him like he's their buddy or something - "we played a great game and Gino was awesome - I smell a cup run coming!" And their awful announcers call him Gino sometimes too which is incredibly gay.

Belly

Voraceks nickname should be Snake

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA

Hartnell - Hartsy
Simmonds - Simmer
Laughton - Laughts
Giroux - G
Couturier - Couts
Read - Reader?

I just think NA hockey players are in love with boring nicknames. I mean, if you have a choice between calling somebody Medi or Bear, the answer is clear. Gino is a fine nickname but I agree that it's cringey when the announcers use it so much.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I don't see a problem with Geno as a nickname. Evgeni is "Eugene" in English. It's not a bad one.

Hockey nicknames are so contrived. Ghost is one of the better ones in the NHL. It's natural and easy to say without feeling like a total tool.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
In the UK the nicknames are generally equally boring these days...

Shorten the first name, of if not that great an option, we just call people by their surname or add 'sy' or 'y' onto the the of surname in general if the surname is not appropriate on it's own.

So:

Smith becomes 'Smithy'
Broad becomes 'Broady'
Brooks becomes 'Brooksy'
Burns becomes 'Burnsy'
Green becomes 'Greeny'
Brown becomes 'Browny'
Wood becomes 'Woody'
Jones becomes 'Jonesy'
Wright becomes 'Wrighty'
Clarke becomes 'Clarkey'
King becomes 'Kingsy'
Cook becomes 'Cooky'
Bell becomes 'Belly'
Stokes becomes 'Stokesy'
Cox becomes 'Coxy'
Scott becomes 'Scottsy'
Moore becomes 'Mooresy'
Hart becomes 'Hartsy'
Haigh becomes 'Haighy'

That accounts for like ~50% of all nicknames, with shortened first names and unaltered surnames making up most of the rest... so boring.

The older generation seemingly had far better nicknames with far more imagination. All my Dad's friends have nicknames, and most are pretty interesting and have a story behind them.

The only friends I have who have a remotely decent 'go-to' surname are:

'The Brown Bear' or 'Brown Bear' as he is a big guy, (like 6'1, 16 stone, did Taekwondo to a high level) is mixed-race and broke up multiple fights by just getting a guy in a bear-hug, picking him up and walking him away with his feet dangling!

'Smurf' as the guy was small growing up... but is actually not too small now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad