Player Discussion Evgeny Kuznetsov

Will Evgeny Kuznetsov be a member of the Capitals next season?

• Total voters

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I'm a big Kuznetsov fan but these Fedorov comparisons have to stop. At 20 Fedorov put up over a point a game as a rookie NHLer. At 23 he put up 120 points and won both the Pearson and the Selke. Think about that for a second.

Kuznetsov seems to be a pretty good player and has a lot of talent but Sergei Fedorov was one of the greatest all around players the NHL has ever seen.

Kids today...

;)

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm a big Kuznetsov fan but these Fedorov comparisons have to stop. At 20 Fedorov put up over a point a game as a rookie NHLer. At 23 he put up 120 points and won both the Pearson and the Selke. Think about that for a second.

Kuznetsov seems to be a pretty good player and has a lot of talent but Sergei Fedorov was one of the greatest all around players the NHL has ever seen.

We're comparing his style to Fedorov. The stick handling, the skating and the overall finesse of his game are what reminds us of Fedorov.

Of course, Fedorov was twice the player Kuzma will ever be.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I hope all the other players saw how easy it was to pass it to Chimera off the end boards

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Making direct comparisons is unproductive, sure. That's why I always attach -lite not to offend the legends and their fans :)

At the same time, I don't see a real ceiling on Kuz right now. He's basically as skilled as anybody, offensive IQ is off the charts, and his power/confidence/overall game is only going to increase.

So for example he's no "peak" Datsyuk right now, but I suspect he might be significantly ahead of Datsyuk at similar age. Just think playoff performance -- and yet Dats had some legendary teammates to help him along. So.. anything can happen, but he's doing great :)

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
We're comparing his style to Fedorov. The stick handling, the skating and the overall finesse of his game are what reminds us of Fedorov.

Of course, Fedorov was twice the player Kuzma will ever be.

Right. Not sure why it's hard to understand that the comparison stems from how his game is reminiscent of Fedorov.

And I don't feel comfortable using the "will ever be" qualifier with Kuznetsov. Right now, I don't see any aspect of his game that puts a limit on his ceiling.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Right. Not sure why it's hard to understand that the comparison stems from how his game is reminiscent of Fedorov.

And I don't feel comfortable using the "will ever be" qualifier with Kuznetsov. Right now, I don't see any aspect of his game that puts a limit on his ceiling.

The only concern I had with him is that he looked lost at times on the ice. Obviously, it's gone now.
He's smart, he skates well and he can do anything with the puck.

He needs to work on his shot though. That's what sets the gap between a player like Datsyuk and Fedorov. If he becomes as good as Datsyuk, I won't complain ;)

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
It's nice to have a player that is abundantly gifted physically as well as mentally. Great hockey IQ. If only it could rub off on some of his teammates.

It already has. That Ovie back pass to Wardo in game one was straight out of the recent Kuz files. I **** you not when I say Ovie is remembering little tricks by watching Kuznetsov even tho the young kid is clearly under the Vets wing overall. I even think the goal today were Ovie pushed it ahead to himself after he split the D is Ovechkin rekindling little finesse moves that I swear I see Kuz do earlier.

Last edited:

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
It already has. That Ovie back pass to Wardo in game one was straight out of the recent Kuz files. I **** you not when I say Ovie is remembering little tricks by watching Kuznetsov even tho the young kid is clearly under the Vets wing overall. I even think the goal today were Ovie pushed it ahead to himself after he split the D is Ovechkin rekindling little finesse moves that I swear I see Kuz do earlier.

Well, I wish it would rub off on more teammates than just the Great 8, then. :D

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

Fedorov always had a level of power in his stride that I just don't see in Kuznetsov. Also coming out of the old Soviet system Fedorov was a lot physically stronger overall than Kuznetsov is.

I don't think Fedorov or Fedorov-lite when I see Kuznetsov on the ice. I'm not sure who I do think of but it isn't Fedorov but whatever...

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I still think he's closer to Malkin than Fedorov.

But maybe he can get some muscle up and change it.

We should agree on Malkin-Fedorov-Datsyuk mix. It would be OK.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Fedorov always had a level of power in his stride that I just don't see in Kuznetsov. Also coming out of the old Soviet system Fedorov was a lot physically stronger overall than Kuznetsov is.

I don't think Fedorov or Fedorov-lite when I see Kuznetsov on the ice. I'm not sure who I do think of but it isn't Fedorov but whatever...

It's not so much the power but the control of his edges and his effortless stride.

I see a bigger and stronger Kuznetsov. The Soviet system made machines like Jagr, Bure and Fedorov. The closest we have to that today is Kovalchuk.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Not really all that important but why does our wp writer keep saying Kuznetsov shoots an imaginary arrow after he scores(celebration) it looks to me like he's just pumping his fist to me?

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Not really all that important but why does our wp writer keep saying Kuznetsov shoots an imaginary arrow after he scores(celebration) it looks to me like he's just pumping his fist to me?

I agree with the WP writer.

To me, it totally looks like he is an archer. The stick is the bow and his glove is drawing back the arrow. Watch his Game 7 GWG again. :)

Not that it really matters, of course, but I could watch that goal and celebration a thousand times and not get tired of it. :P

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
That Soviet machine churned out Jagr ? As far as the Kuznetsov comparisons go to Federov they start and end in similarities with having the same last two letters of their last names.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
That Soviet machine churned out Jagr ? As far as the Kuznetsov comparisons go to Federov they start and end in similarities with having the same last two letters of their last names.

I'm not sure you're the expert when it comes to last names.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Kuzy is not Fedorov. Comparing him to Feds or Malkin is just not fair to him.

There's nothing wrong with comparing them stylistically, which is what is happening, I think. For a while I styled my beer league game after Ovie, that doesn't mean I have 1/1,000,000 of his talent.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
There's nothing wrong with comparing them stylistically, which is what is happening, I think. For a while I styled my beer league game after Ovie, that doesn't mean I have 1/1,000,000 of his talent.

How hard is it to understand that comparing the style of two players does not mean they are on the same level ?

It's just like if I say that my game is modeled after Ovi's because I score a lot of goals and I hit a lot. It doesn't mean I do these things as well as Ovi...

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Jagr is from Czechoslovakia which was to the east of the Iron Curtain. IIRC, Jagr was the first eastern European player drafted after the fall of the Iron Curtain. So yes, Jagr went through a Soviet type of training like all Eastern European athletes born in the early 70s and before.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Absolutely love him, would give you guys Schwartz straight up for him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I don't see the stylistic compare then. when I think of Fedorov I think of a pretty straight forward, very technically sound center. assertive. a top 4 defenseman when asked to do it in his prime til the end.

In Kuzy, I see a creative, dangle master that can shoot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad