Value of: Evgeni Svechnikov to Edmonton

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The Oilers need wingers and don't have cap space, so Evgeny Svechnikov could find a place on their roster, especially considering he can't find this place on Detroit's roster even after a pretty decent preseason. As far as I understand, Edmonton has some nice defensive prospects, who can probably be traded for forwards.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Svech really made the team, they are being cautious in my opinion and letting him start in Grand Rapids to manage him a little closer. The Wings don't have a lot of expectations, I think it is clear Yzerman wants to finish low and evaluate players this year. I don't really want to move him, the return would be poor. He was about to make the team last year and he has had a really good pre-season considering how major his injury was and him admitting he wasn't 100% comfortable still during this pre-season. I expect him to be up at some point this year, he lived with Larkin all off-season and I think the Wings still like him a lot. Just has lost a ton of development time, hopefully he can just have a healthy season.

Last edited:

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Svech really made the team, they are being cautious in my opinion and letting him start in Grand Rapids to manage him a little closer. The Wings don't have a lot of expectations, I think it is clear Yzerman wants to finish low and evaluate players this year. I don't really want to move him, the return would be poor. He was about to make the team last year and he has had a really good pre-season considering how major his injury was and him admitting he wasn't 100% comfortable still during this pre-season. I expect him to be up at some point this year, he lived with Larkin all off-season and I think the Wings still like him a lot. Just has lost a ton of time to development, hopefully he can just have a healthy season.

Aka. He didnt make the team but you expect him to be an early call up. He looked good in preseason and has a future in the NHL.

I like him and think he could find a mid 6 role on Edmonton. Wouldnt be offering any of our high end D prospects though, no Bouchard, Broberg, Samorukov, etc. So I'm not sure theres a fit trade wise.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Aka. He didnt make the team but you expect him to be an early call up. He looked good in preseason and has a future in the NHL.

I like him and think he could find a mid 6 role on Edmonton. Wouldnt be offering any of our high end D prospects though, no Bouchard, Broberg, Samorukov, etc. So I'm not sure theres a fit trade wise.

They aren't rushing him along in his comeback from the knee injury. The plan has been for him to be in Grand Rapids. They applied for his extra year of eligibility in March. I am not sure he could have made the team is basically the point. Most of our board thinks he did enough, but I understand him starting down there. Grand Rapids is loaded for bear this year, I think guys will rotate up for segments. It does look like Cholowski has forced his way back up, but it looks like Yzerman wants most of our young guys to be together in the AHL winning while he gets his high pick.

Rasmussen and Svechnikov had good camps in my opinion. I still expect both to start in Grand Rapids, well I mean we know Svech will but I don't think it is a total reflection of how they looked in the pre-season. But they can work on things at that level and have the eligibility to be there. The logic makes some sense in terms of what Yzerman is doing in my opinion.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Wait so you want to trade his dad? A brother can't be the senior of his younger brother.

OT - Guy caught a bad break missing all of last season, especially at a great development age. That said he really didn't do much and definitely didn't earn a spot on Detroit right now and will need probably half a season in the AHL to get back in the full swing of things, as he did miss a lot of hockey. He scored a couple of goals and wasn't terrible or anything, just not enough to knock anyone else besides Abdelkader from our roster, the latter of which could be accomplished by a peewee player.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
No thanks. Wings have enough D prospects for now, Svech has shown potential to be a top 6 F. No rush here in Detroit, just patiently rebuilding, they can afford to take their time with these guys

Reactions: SirloinUB

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Wouldn't bank on this being a scenario of Svech, "Not being able to find his place on Detroit's roster."

Yzerman's notorious for loading up his minor league roster, and he's already all but said the Red Wings are gonna suck this year. Makes sense that he's leaving everybody in the minors.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
OP makes mention of Edmonton’s D prospects... I don’t think I’d trade any of the ones with NHL upside for him.

Holland loaded up the roster with 3rd and 4th line forwards, I don’t know why he’d pursue another one. If anything we need a bonafide top six option and that’s not Svechnikov. Bakersfield is already stacked.

unless you want yourself some Logan Day, I doubt there’s a fit here.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
No point in trading Svech while his value is low.
I'd love to see him on the opposite wing of AA.

Speed and moves on LW. Set up man and defense in Filppula. And some size and hands in Svech,

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
why trade a skilled guy that's had injury problems when you can stick him in the ahl. im hoping stevey is just trying to build a little value in some vets and soon trades em. then he can bring up svech and ras with velano and zadina coming soon after

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
You're going to get an unproven, non NHL guy, with concerns of his own in return. Might as well stick with Svech as his game fits pretty well into our mix of prospects and we have plenty of D prospects at the level we would be getting back

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I'd move Svech in a heartbeat if I thought anyone would give us anything worth having in return.

But I can't imagine why anyone would.

Reactions: SirloinUB

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Having missed the entire season last year his value is pretty low, no motivation to trade him before we see how he bounces back.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I'd move Svech in a heartbeat if I thought anyone would give us anything worth having in return.

But I can't imagine why anyone would.

No thanks. Wings have enough D prospects for now, Svech has shown potential to be a top 6 F. No rush here in Detroit, just patiently rebuilding, they can afford to take their time with these guys

These two posters hit the nail on the head as Svechnikov has more value to Detroit than anyone else would see in him.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Makes no sense from a Wings POV right now. Whatever D we could get for him will probably end up in Toledo.

Wings still need to trim their roster for opening day.

Unless there's some late breaking injury on D that I'm unaware of, at least one of those roster moves will be a D going back to GR(either McIsaac or Cholowski, if not both)

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I mean, if you're not expecting Svech on the roster this year, wanna take Pulju for him? He's doing well overseas, bring him over next year.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I mean, if you're not expecting Svech on the roster this year, wanna take Pulju for him? He's doing well overseas, bring him over next year.
No interest in Pulujarvi or however you spell it. No interest in trading very low on a 1st Rd. pick with talent, size, grit, skating etc., who would've made the team last year & has battled really hard to get back due from the injury 1 yr. ago. Within this season, probably by TDL or sooner, he'll be on our 3rd line & by next season, possibly Top 6. So for any proposals out there, unless you're offering a young #4 Dman or equal value, no deal.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Detroit will overrate him since he is an old first-round pick. He isnt worth much of anything. Even Puljujarvi would be worth significantly more as he has done more in the NHL, AHL, leagues prior to the draft, has a higher pedigree, and is almost 2 full years younger.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
No interest in Pulujarvi or however you spell it. No interest in trading very low on a 1st Rd. pick with talent, size, grit, skating etc., who would've made the team last year & has battled really hard to get back due from the injury 1 yr. ago. Within this season, probably by TDL or sooner, he'll be on our 3rd line & by next season, possibly Top 6. So for any proposals out there, unless you're offering a young #4 Dman or equal value, no deal.
hahahhahahaha........hahahhahahhaha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->