Everything will be ok in 2 years?

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
(mods feel free to move this post)

assuming this downward trend continues, we're looking at a lottery pick, and hopefully a good one. i'm really liking how our defense is gonna look in 2 years if our first rounder nets us a 1st pairing d-man (even if not jones, theres three other guys that could fill this spot - nurse, zadorov, ristolainen)

E-1st rounder 2013
Oullet-Sproul
Kronwall-Smith

and thats not including backman who i think can be a top 4 eventually. wild card marchenko could also be a factor.

up front we have (assuming brunner resigning):

brunner-z-franzen
tatar-jarnkrok-nyquist
helm-sheahan-andersson
ferraro-emmerton-tootoo

i think thats an average 12 to be honest, but if we net one or two significant pieces in FA and/or pav resigns, we're looking at a very strong team. perry and/or getzlaf would obviously help out a lot.

basically, we're gonna have a four year window starting in two years where we have cheap young talent all ready to contribute at the same time. i see this year as being the worst of the rebuild. next year might be almost as rough, but then i think we're gonna get a lot better, quickly.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
the Wings aren't getting a high pick

if they miss the Playoffs it won't be by much

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
the Wings aren't getting a high pick

if they miss the Playoffs it won't be by much

Do you not think a GM can order its players to fail on purpose if they're mathematically out of it in early april?

Or just make it simple and call up all GR players and scratch nhl players, that will make you lose many games.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Honestly I don't think we're bad enough to really get a lottery pick this year unless either Datsyuk or Zetterberg go down. Right now even with all of the injuries and bad play we're better then Washington, CBJ, Buffalo, Calgary, Florida, NYI, Colorado & Winnipeg. Then you can group us with the 9-17 teams.

As it stands now we'd be picking 12th overall but we could move up to the 6th or 7th spot depending on how the teams with games in hand do. If we do finish say 7th overall I really hope we just go BPA, my personally choice would be to take one of the higher upside forwards that might fall (Lindholm, Monahan) otherwise take one of the dmen, preferably Zadorov/Ristolainen either or would really slot in well next to Sproul in the future.

If we could trade away some of our UFA guys at the deadline for picks, I'm not sure what we could for them (White, Cleary, Filppula), but lets say we could get atleast a 2nd + 3rd for White, a 3rd/4th for Cleary & a 1st+2nd for Filppula (he'd be one of the top guys available). Come draft day we could use the extra first on another BPA (maybe Domi, Theodore, Morrisey) then in 2nd go for a couple high risk, high reward guys like Dano, Petan, Hurley, Zykov or use it on a player that fell out of the 1st round.

I think come '14-15 we could have a lineup looking something like:

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Brunner
Franzen-Zetterberg-Jarnkrok
Tatar-Helm-Sheahan
Tootoo-Emmerton-Andersson/Abdelkader

Smith-Ericsson
Kronwall-Ouellet
Backman-Quincey
Lashoff

Howard
Mrazek

Sproul is still in the AHL working on his defensive game, Zadorov is learning his craft in the AHL showing he does indeed have some offensive upside & Datsyuk resigned to a 1 year deal. White & Filppula were traded, Quincey was resigned to a 1 year deal & Backman impressed enough in training camp to get the last spot on defence.

One thing Holland has done extremely well is that he has very few contracts that run beyond the 2013-2014 season, we only have 6 contracts past that season, he has at least given us an incredible amount of cap flexibilty.

CloneHakanPlease*

Do you not think a GM can order its players to fail on purpose if they're mathematically out of it in early april?

Or just make it simple and call up all GR players and scratch nhl players, that will make you lose many games.

Preview

jroc86

Jun 12, 2012
I think Holland does EVERYTHING in his power to jumpstart the rebuild this summer. I think we FINALLY nail a few legit UFA's, welcome aboard a few young studs, and make a few trades. That will invovle adding a Russian (or 2) to our roster next season ... either we go balls deep and try and prime a teamto climb back into contention in the next few years and encourage PAvel to resigns for another 2-3 years OR we make minimal changes, slip to mediocrity, Pav leaves, and we hope another youngster becomes a legend.

Its **** or get off the pot time. I think we see oldschool Holland show up this summer - with Filp and Jimmy underperforming and us being in pretty good capsapce shape I think allot of us will be left encouraged by how were sitting next August.

Hopefully theres enough magic left in the hat to keepthe playoff streak alive ...

CloneHakanPlease*

I actually think everything will be worse in two years, as most of the young guys needed to step up will be very, VERY, green.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
This.

We're bad but not that bad, as long as we have D and Z we'll likely get into/just miss the playoffs.

Yeah, this is why our situation is really bad. DRW is not particulary good, but not bad either. Well I guess even a mid pick can become a great player, but hard to get a "blue chip".

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
so long as we can shed some dead weight(miller, cleary), add a top pairing dman via trade(green, bouwmeester, etc), introduce some more skill into the lineup full-time(tatar, nyquist, sheahan, ferraro, jarnkrok) free up cap space with a buyout(quincey vs sammy), add a stay at home rock for the bottom pairing(douglas murray) maybe, just maybe add a young skilled top 7 forward via UFA(not expecting a perry, getzlaf, etc level player) and hopefully see one of sproul or ouellet make the jump sooner then detroit will be right back among the leagues top contenders

smurfyeah19

Feb 3, 2012
So were not getting any free agents? And listen Holland is one of the best around, made strong pushes for Parise and Suter, just didn't give away the entire farm for them. We're a playoff team now and who knows what happens if we make it. How many times did we fall to lesser teams when we were stacked in the 2000s? Haha the hockey gods owe us

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
So were not getting any free agents? And listen Holland is one of the best around, made strong pushes for Parise and Suter, just didn't give away the entire farm for them. We're a playoff team now and who knows what happens if we make it. How many times did we fall to lesser teams when we were stacked in the 2000s? Haha the hockey gods owe us

I wouldnt bet the farm that we're getting any marquee free agents no

i could see us adding a depth dman and maybe a depth forward(lets say douglas murray and stephen weiss) but thats about it

DATS-O-MATIC

Nov 23, 2004
'14-15: if Dats leaves:

Franzen-Z-Brunner
Tatar-Jarnkrok-Nyquist
Pulkkinen-Helm-Ferraro
Abdelkader-Andersson-Tootoo
Sheahan

Kronwall-UFA
Smith-E
Sproul-Ouellett
Lashoff
Backman/Marchenko?

If Dats stays:
Nyquist-Datsyuk-Brunner
Franzen-Zetterberg-Jarnkrok
Tatar-Helm-Pulkkinen
Abdelkader-Andersson-Tootoo
Sheahan

MrTaterSalad

May 29, 2011
I won't say that everything is and will be A-ok here in Hockeytown. I think with a few moves we can be right back into contention for another three, maybe four years. I'd like foremost for them to let both Nyquist and Tatar get big league minutes this year. That's what Babcock/Holland can do for me now. Going into next year I'd also like to see Calle Jarnkrok over from the SEL and playing with the big boys full time.

In-terms of off-season moves I would not re-sign Cleary, Miller or White. I would use both my buyouts this off-season and buyout/amnesty Carlo Coliacovo and Mikal Samuelsson. I would trade Justin Abdelkader for a bag of airline peanuts and 7th rd pick. I would re-sign Filppula, Howard, Brunner and Huskins. Right there with those five guys re-signed I estimate the Wings having around 7 1/2 in cap space to spend.

There are three guys that I would personally target if I am Ken Holland. Ray Whitney, Patrick Hornvquist (RFA I know) and Douglas Murray. Give me Ray Whitney at three-four years and 4 million a year to help shore up a sub-par defense. I would go hard after Patric Hornquvist, I don't care if he's an RFA. Contractually to get this team it's next Tomas Holmstrom I'd offer five years at 3.45 million a season to make it happen. I'll run up the bidding higher though if I have to on Hornquvist. Douglas Murray would come in somewhere around the 2.8 million mark in my estimation.

Going out into year two I'd look to adapt guys like Sproul and Oullete into the defensive rotation and let a guy like Kyle Quincy walk.

Next years roster with 1.4 million in cap space remaining (thanks CapGeek)...
FORWARDS
Damien Brunner ($3.350m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Patric Hornqvist ($3.450m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Calle Jarnkrok ($0.840m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Tomas Tatar
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ryan Whitney ($4.000m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Douglas Murray ($2.800m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.900m) / Brendan Smith ($0.925m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
Jimmy Howard ($3.750m)

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Give me Ray Whitney at three-four years and 4 million a year to help shore up a sub-par defense.

Oiler fans are litterally trying to give Whitney away. He has been beyond terrible for them, and is in the press box while Corey Potter is playing over him. Whitney had his ankle hurt and he has lost a lot of his mobility because of it. There's also no need to sign Whitney to "shore" up our defense when he is known for being a high risk offensive dman.

Murray according to Shark fans has lost a step and is the 5th/6th/7th dman on their team. He is a big man and bigger men tend to break down faster then smaller guys, he also plays a physical style which leads to more wear & tear.

If we aren't going to solve our defence problem from in house guys (which won't be a problem in 2-3 years) then we are going to have to go the trade route.

Last edited:

WeberStreit

Jan 31, 2008
I think Oilers fans would rather have Ray Whitney for 4 years than Ryan Whitney for this season...

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
the best thing for this club would be too
-trade filppula plus abdelkader plus a prospect for bouwmeester
-sign douglas murray
-sign stephen weiss
-resign smith
-resign brunner
-resign howard
-resign nyquist
-resign kindl
-let cleary, miller and white walk
-buyout sammy and cc
-promote sheahan
-demote eaves
-bring over Jarnkrok for a full year in the AHL

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.500m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.500m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.900m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($1.500m)
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)
Jakub Kindl ($1.050m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($4.000m)
OTHER
Buried: Patrick Eaves ($0.275m)
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (0.028% of upper limit)
Justin Abdelkader ($0.018m—1.0%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,249,212; BONUSES: $320,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,370,788

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
the best thing for this club would be too
-trade filppula plus abdelkader plus a prospect for bouwmeester
-sign douglas murray
-sign stephen weiss
-resign smith
-resign brunner
-resign howard
-resign nyquist
-resign kindl
-let cleary, miller and white walk
-buyout sammy and cc
-promote sheahan
-demote eaves
-bring over Jarnkrok for a full year in the AHL

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.500m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.500m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.900m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($1.500m)
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)
Jakub Kindl ($1.050m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($4.000m)
OTHER
Buried: Patrick Eaves ($0.275m)
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (0.028% of upper limit)
Justin Abdelkader ($0.018m—1.0%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,249,212; BONUSES: $320,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,370,788
Too much activity and too advanced for KH's liking

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Too much activity and too advanced for KH's liking

ohh and I would also add a George Perros for two reasons
-if we move to the east as expected/hoped we will need a heavy weight to keep those much tougher eastern teams honest. Perros and Tootoo would fit that bill quite well
-we will and already do have more rookies in the lineup then ever before and we will need to protect them and prevent them from being run out of other teams bldg, basically allow them to have a bit more **** in their walk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad