Prospect Info: Everything Swedish

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Think of the positives, this means they likely have zero chance at the playoffs and Veleno stands to get nearly a full season in the NHL at this rate with the start time being delayed and delayed and delayed.

I'm also looking at it like it's a great opportunity for Veleno to show how talented he is. He's a 20 year old kid from Canada and was very clearly his team's best player today in an SHL game. I'd prefer if he could continue to play well over there and pull a Zetterberg by carrying his team to the postseason.

Reactions: Realgud

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
What's the biggest challenge for Soderblom again? He moves well for a big guy but even at the SHL level he's still too slow?
No I don't think it's that, he moves pretty well for sure. Just typical young player problems like being weak on the puck, reaching for plays instead of skating all the way, not really being adjusted to the pace etc.
Hopefully he gets the chance to adjust, he's an intriguing prospect. Frölunda is a good team though, definitely no shame in not being a regular on that squad.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I'm also looking at it like it's a great opportunity for Veleno to show how talented he is. He's a 20 year old kid from Canada and was very clearly his team's best player today in an SHL game. I'd prefer if he could continue to play well over there and pull a Zetterberg by carrying his team to the postseason.

As close as I can tell, Veleno’s team is 2-5 and in last place. He’s not pulling a Zetterberg. He can keep looking strong and keep improving.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
As close as I can tell, Veleno’s team is 2-5 and in last place. He’s not pulling a Zetterberg. He can keep looking strong and keep improving.

And when Zetterberg was at Veleno's age, he was at Allsvenskan, Swedish 2nd level. They did get promoted to Elitserien. Timrå never saw playoffs at Elitserien and Zetterberg never pulled the team to playoffs there's. They were on the relegation round on 2nd year.

So Veleno is kind of at same kind of spot with his team as Zetterberg with his just promoted Timrå team. They were one of the worst teams on that season. All of the hype was based on the promotion from the 2nd level year before at 2000 and saving the team from relegation at 2002 kvalserien. Next season 2002-03 Timrå was 3rd in Elitserien without Zetterberg (who was in NHL).

Last edited:
Reactions: alexislafreniere

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
And when Zetterberg was at Veleno's age, he was at Allsvenskan, Swedish 2nd level. They did get promoted to Elitserien. Timrå never saw playoffs at Elitserien and Zetterberg never pulled the team to playoffs there's. They were on the relegation round on 2nd year.

So Veleno is kind of at same kind of spot with his team as Zetterberg with his just promoted Timrå team. They were one of the worst teams on that season. All of the hype was based on the promotion from the 2nd level year before at 2000 and saving the team from relegation at 2002 kvalserien. Next season 2002-03 Timrå was 3rd in Elitserien without Zetterberg (who was in NHL).

Yeah, I don’t want to come across like he’s in a bad spot. He’s gonna learn a lot playing in the SHL, and I’d hope in time it challenges him to be the go to guy to create offensively more than he was relied upon in Grand Rapids.

I think just by status of his team, he won’t have playoff hockey in Sweden, and could rejoin the Wings or Griffins probably at least a month to two months before I’d expect Raymond, Seider, and maybe Berggren would be available. Just a little light at the end of the tunnel I’m looking towards for this season.

I’m pulling for Veleno to pull a rabbit out of his hat and be that #2C we need.

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
Raymond secondary assist on powerplay

powerplay is definitely where you see him shine the most currently.

I like seeing Raymond work off of this move to the top of the circles. Knowing he can score from there, everyone pulled in to block the shot, opening up the guy down low. It should pull guys off of Zadina and Mantha too for some nice one timers.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Saw a projected world junior roster that had 5 wings on it. I could see someone like Grewe or Niederbach not making the final cut but I think Raymond, Johansson and Soderblom are probably locks. Grewe might come because of the small ice and want a player like that.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Saw a projected world junior roster that had 5 wings on it. I could see someone like Grewe or Niederbach not making the final cut but I think Raymond, Johansson and Soderblom are probably locks. Grewe might come because of the small ice and want a player like that.

Holy shit, 6.

Raymond, Niederbach, Grewe and Soderblom up front.

(Perhaps Eklund too, :cool:)

Johansson and Wallinder on the back end.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Niederbach is probably the most likely to not be chosen if you have to pick one. Söderblom is maybe more versatile, him and Grewe are also more experienced.

That Swedish defense group is insanely good but they could definitely use more help at center, which may be a good thing for Niederbach's chances.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Niederbach is probably the most likely to not be chosen if you have to pick one. Söderblom is maybe more versatile, him and Grewe are also more experienced.

That Swedish defense group is insanely good but they could definitely use more help at center, which may be a good thing for Niederbach's chances.

I think Niederbach's hot start may put him safely on that team. He also looks to have more natural talent than Costmar and Henriksson.

Grewe is the one I doubt makes it. His game isn't exactly international tournament friendly. Soderblom would be my pick before him.

How is this Jesper Wallstedt kid looking? 2021 draft eligible. Phenomenal numbers so far in his career. Is he ranked in the first round or is there a possibility of a slip to the 2nd?

Reactions: ChadS

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think Niederbach's hot start may put him safely on that team. He also looks to have more natural talent than Costmar and Henriksson.

Grewe is the one I doubt makes it. His game isn't exactly international tournament friendly. Soderblom would be my pick before him.

How is this Jesper Wallstedt kid looking? 2021 draft eligible. Phenomenal numbers so far in his career. Is he ranked in the first round or is there a possibility of a slip to the 2nd?
Would be very surprised if Wallstedt isn't a 1st round pick at this point.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

13th overall on my average rank. Just like Askarov was positioned at last draft.

More I think of it, this draft could be the goalie draft for us, because there's so small gaps between these players.

Askarov would have been stupid reach at #4 overall, but Wallstedt could be nearer of a plan to pick him.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Holy shit, 6.

Raymond, Niederbach, Grewe and Soderblom up front.

(Perhaps Eklund too, :cool:)

Johansson and Wallinder on the back end.

Yeah I actually missed Wallinder, so 6 possibly. I'm thinking 4 at minimum make it. Apparently theyre thin at center which would help Neiderbachs chances

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Haven't looked that far ahead yet, in terms of a deep dive, but you guys know I'm not going to be sleeping on a 1st round Swedish goalie prospect.

He is a first round goalie and I think he goes top 20. I don't like him as much as Askarov or Knight, but he would answer the position for awhile. Just not as prepared to talk Vezina trophies as I was the last two, in particular Askarov.

I would defer to Swedish posters, but he is the best Swedish goalie prospect in a while. Last one I remember having a first round grade on was Markstrom.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
He is a first round goalie and I think he goes top 20. I don't like him as much as Askarov or Knight, but he would answer the position for awhile. Just not as prepared to talk Vezina trophies as I was the last two, in particular Askarov.

I would defer to Swedish posters, but he is the best Swedish goalie prospect in a while. Last one I remember having a first round grade on was Markstrom.
i’m hoping we can get a late 1st and grab him there

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
i’m hoping we can get a late 1st and grab him there

If he has a big year I can see him going in that 10-15 range like Askarov and Knight. I think he is a little below, not a lot but I kind of doubt he backs up into the 20s unless he has a bad year. Depends on how the board goes, but I expect he is gone in the teens making that a hard pick to land for us.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Could be another decade or more until we see a kid as good as Askarov. So not surprising there isn't one available to fall into our laps the very next year.

But I'm looking forward to doing a deeper look at the kid. And I don't know if the Wings picks will line up at the right spot to take a goalie that deserves to be taken between 10-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad