Prospect Info: Everything Sweden Part III - SHL Playoff Time

Does Moritz Seider Lead Rogle BK to their first SHL Ship?

• Total voters

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Niederbach is one of those guys I have a real good feeling about. I feel like he could be a good second line center one day.
I was feeling the same but have cooled on him based on my (admittedly limited) viewings.

While I think he was a fine pick, I see some people (not you specifically) refer to him as a steal still, but im not sure if his production warrants those thoughts. If he was a Draper pick
named John Anderson from Wisconsin instead of a Hakan pick with a Swedish name, I think a lot of the mystique would be lost. He looked good in Swedish Jr’s, but he hasn’t really produced up to expectation in the international viewings and stat lines I’ve been seeing.

At this point I’m feeling a Jarnkrok/Janmark type player, which is still good value for his draft slot, but on a personal level I haven’t seen much to be hopeful for in terms of high offense at the NHL level.

Reactions: r0bert8841

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I was feeling the same but have cooled on him based on my (admittedly limited) viewings.

While I think he was a fine pick, I see some people (not you specifically) refer to him as a steal still, but im not sure if his production warrants those thoughts. If he was a Draper pick
named John Anderson from Wisconsin instead of a Hakan pick with a Swedish name, I think a lot of the mystique would be lost. He looked good in Swedish Jr’s, but he hasn’t really produced up to expectation in the international viewings and stat lines I’ve been seeing.

At this point I’m feeling a Jarnkrok/Janmark type player, which is still good value for his draft slot, but on a personal level I haven’t seen much to be hopeful for in terms of high offense at the NHL level.

That's pretty much what I said when we drafted him. The expectation of top 6 center as a late 2nd round pick was unreasonable. However if he can become a Janmark or Jarnkrok level 3rd liner then that's a win. Those are two of the better 3rd liners in the NHL.

FabricDetails

I know enough to know I know nothing
Mar 30, 2009
Fun stuff.

Left WingCenterRight Wing
Berggren (R2-2018)Niederbach (R2-2020)Raymond (R1-2020)
Grewe (R3-2019)Nilsson (R5-2021)
Soderblom (R6-2019)
Left DefensemanRight Defenseman
Johansson (R2-2019)Lindstrom (R3-2017)
Wallinder (R2-2020)Berglund (R6-2019)
Edvinsson (R1-2021)
Goaltender
Larsson (R6-2016)
Eliasson (R3-2018)
Brattstrom (R6-2018)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Although... 10 years ago that same table looked something like this bucket of cold water...

Axelsson (R2-2006)Lofberg (R3-2005)Ritola (R4-2005)
Nyquist (R4-2008)Ryno (R3-2005)
Andersson (R3-2007)
Samuelsson (R7-2008)
Jarnkrok (R2-2010)
Almquist (R7-2009)
Backman (R5-2011)
Goaltenders
Larsson (R3-2006)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Fun stuff.

Berggren (R2-2018)Niederbach (R2-2020)Raymond (R1-2020)
Grewe (R3-2019)Nilsson (R5-2021)
Soderblom (R6-2019)
Johansson (R2-2019)Lindstrom (R3-2017)
Wallinder (R2-2020)Berglund (R6-2019)
Edvinsson (R1-2021)
Goaltender
Larsson (R6-2016)
Eliasson (R3-2018)
Brattstrom (R6-2018)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Although... 10 years ago that same table looked something like this bucket of cold water...

Axelsson (R2-2006)Lofberg (R3-2005)Ritola (R4-2005)
Nyquist (R4-2008)Ryno (R3-2005)
Andersson (R3-2007)
Samuelsson (R7-2008)
Jarnkrok (R2-2010)
Almquist (R7-2009)
Backman (R5-2011)
Goaltenders
Larsson (R3-2006)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I still think that Axelsson and Ryno could have been players. They didn't want to play in Grand Rapids for whatever reason. I'm not sure what the hell happened but they both went onto decent SHL careers.

Larsson also didn't have good things to say about being in Grand Rapids. I read an article a while ago about Larsson talking about leaving and how he felt he outplayed Jim Howard there and deserved the starter position.

FabricDetails

I know enough to know I know nothing
Mar 30, 2009
Larsson also didn't have good things to say about being in Grand Rapids. I read an article a while ago about Larsson talking about leaving and how he felt he outplayed Jim Howard there and deserved the starter position.

He did for that one year.

But then I remember that he didn't get any better. And that he didn't work on things the Wings staff wanted him to work on. I think one of them was getting more comfortable outside the paint.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

I think realistically, he’s more likely to be a third line center than a second line center. I was just saying he’s one of those guys I have a good feeling about. Totally based on intuition and nothing else.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
I think realistically, he’s more likely to be a third line center than a second line center. I was just saying he’s one of those guys I have a good feeling about. Totally based on intuition and nothing else.
He really needs to work on his speed and pace of play. He has great vision and IQ, but is struggling to separate against even his age group. I definitely wouldnt look too much into his stat line at this WJSS, watching things, it just felt like every chance he set up got whiffed on or shot into shin pads and whenever he would get himself free in the circles for a shot, nobody would see him. Hoping for a good season from him in Frolunda. And at the very least we'll get to see him in the WJC, he's a lock.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Edvinsson paired with Christian Folin in practice. This would be the optimal situation for him. NHL experienced veteran on his side, similar to Seider's pairing with Gelinas.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Edvinsson paired with Christian Folin in practice. This would be the optimal situation for him. NHL experienced veteran on his side, similar to Seider's pairing with Gelinas.

Nice.

Remember Folin being stay-at-home Righty in NHL. Kind of older version of "Gustav Lindström"

So maybe Edvinsson plays with the puck more on that pair.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Nice.

Remember Folin being stay-at-home Righty in NHL. Kind of older version of "Gustav Lindström"

So maybe Edvinsson plays with the puck more on that pair.
Yep he's great defensively and plays pretty physical. Good guy to learn from, chance for good minutes and could allow Edvinsson to be the more active offensive player on the pairing.
Still early, hopefully it can stick.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I still think that Axelsson and Ryno could have been players. They didn't want to play in Grand Rapids for whatever reason. I'm not sure what the hell happened but they both went onto decent SHL careers.

I still don't understand why Holland couldn't just let them develop in Europe until they were ready for the NHL. Not every prospect needs to play in GR. I agree I think they would have been NHLers if we took a different development path.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yep he's great defensively and plays pretty physical. Good guy to learn from, chance for good minutes and could allow Edvinsson to be the more active offensive player on the pairing.
Still early, hopefully it can stick.

Some more on Frolin.
Christian Folin om uppstarten

Also a nice little article about Soderblom.
Young guns: Söderblom

A couple snippets about our most recent Frolunda draftees.
"I was pretty sure I was going to get drafted and I see myself as a catch. I'm absolutely confident I'm going to reach the NHL. Whether it will take three or four years or what the path there and beyond will look like remains to be seen. But I believe that I have the understanding, the forehead bone and the patience to reach the NHL," -(poorly translated LIam Dower-Nilsson quote)
Två draftade Frölundaspelare

Frolunda's twitter with some pre-season stuff. Edvinsson is in the first video 1 minute in and looks like he's practicing MMA moves with either Dower-Nilsson or Niederbach. The kid looks like a damn twig right now.

Reactions: mantha39

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
Fantastic thing for Red Wings if that sticks. For me, Folin was MVP last playoffs for Växjö. Best D hands down.
In Färjestad, Albert Johansson was paired with Adam Ginning in third pairing for the first week of training.
The popular belief is that he, together with Wikstrand who will be paired with Nyström and Virtanen that probably will end up with Westin will log about 20+ minutes a game and double with Wikstrand mostly when Nyström (first full SHL year) needs relief or when Färjestad is pushing for a lead or defending a lead.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I still don't understand why Holland couldn't just let them develop in Europe until they were ready for the NHL. Not every prospect needs to play in GR. I agree I think they would have been NHLers if we took a different development path.

That's maybe the change which has happened to our farm team. It's not anymore the most ideal place to develop guys.

And the problem is travelling at Central Division. Travel was not problem for Yzerman's Syracuse. It's in the east, teams most nearby. He did put all kids in the farm there.

AHL has changed and they couldn't see it beforehand.

Maybe they did find it out too late, and Yzerman is now correcting the old mistakes with Grand Rapids. Leaving europeans to Europe and even sending north-americans to Europe. Holland did the same for Oilers prospects (Bakersfield is not easy for travelling either), so it isn't news for him nowadays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->