Blue Jays Discussion: Everything sucks except the all-star: Justin Smoak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Why are they so much worse this year?

Injuries?

So far the Blue Jays have lost the 8th most games this year at 658, already blowing their 448 mark of last year out of the water. Even more significant is Toronto ranked second in MLB behind the New York Mets in lost Wins Above Replacement, at 5.45 WAR. This is the number that should be eye opening.
http://jaysfromthecouch.com/2017/07/08/just-how-injured-have-the-toronto-blue-jays-been-this-year/

Maybe their record the past few seasons was not really indicative of how bad they are.

They had a pretty imposing lineup, no rest for the other pitcher, now they have a pretty pathetic line up, not many MLB pitchers would lose sleep over facing these guys.

2017 BA/ Career avg BA
Martin .233/.254
Tulo .254/.290
JD .252/.277
Pillar .256/.265
Joey Bats .237/.254
Morales .256/.272

Lots of things you could point to they are old, injury prone, not a lot of MLB ready prospects on the farm and so on....

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
That was terrible. Tried listening to Jays talk afterwards. Mike Wilner is so pathetic. Paid shill. It's not wonder he was a job with Rogers with all of the butt kissing he does.

Ugh, can't stand that guy. Such a cheerleader. :help:

Was at the game today, the highlight for me was in the 9th when a couple of wee ones in our section started a "let's go Blue Jays" chant and the rest of us clapped in response.....this went on for a good five minutes. :laugh:

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Where's the future box score?

EDIT NVM Not easy to find but discovered that Vlad had 2 hits and Bichette was robbed of a hit. Also learned that both players are the youngest in the game.

Last edited:

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I think their one year older and one year slower. Some over achieved I guess?

Or they are underachieving this year. Remember in 1994, the Jays went from winning the world series to last in the East. This year isn't over though, they have 74 games left and are 5 games out of the wildcard.

beleaf101

Aug 9, 2009
Why are they so much worse this year?

For me it's the starting rotation. The only one of the five who's had no issues is Stroman. Everybody else has had question marks about them. I also would add health and no depth ready in the minors ready to fill in.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Or they are underachieving this year. Remember in 1994, the Jays went from winning the world series to last in the East. This year isn't over though, they have 74 games left and are 5 games out of the wildcard.

I love how you keep parroting this without a single bit of actual evidence to support your belief. "They are underachieving"...yeah, whatever that means. I've already told you why the "5 games back" stance is ******** and you won't even respond. If you need it repeated again: 22 of the final 30 games are against AL East opponents. How "far back" we are right now is largely irrelevant.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

Yeah they're toast, 5 games is a lot more when you have 6 teams to leap frog. This team is simply not capable of playing the kind of baseball it will take to make a run.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I love how you keep parroting this without a single bit of actual evidence to support your belief. "They are underachieving"...yeah, whatever that means. I've already told you why the "5 games back" stance is ******** and you won't even respond. If you need it repeated again: 22 of the final 30 games are against AL East opponents. How "far back" we are right now is largely irrelevant.

Underacheiving based on preseason projections that had them as a clear Wild Card winner.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Underacheiving based on preseason projections that had them as a clear Wild Card winner.

Which preseason projection? PECOTA had us predicted at 81 wins, which means that they are nailing us down like a fat kid on cake through the midway point. PECOTA also accurately foretold the Dodgers and Astros being the respective top teams in the NL and AL. As far as I can tell, PECOTA is the only "projection" worth anything this year.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
If they continue to play at or around this level, Nick Madrigal would be a nice draft target. Great D, and he has that kind of heart you try to build a culture around. He'd likely be ready to slot right in at 2B by 2019.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
We need to be sellers at the deadline. I don't know about that since Rogers loves to see that stadium full. This team needs to take a step back to take one forward. Need some youth injected into the team.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
That was terrible. Tried listening to Jays talk afterwards. Mike Wilner is so pathetic. Paid shill. It's not wonder he was a job with Rogers with all of the butt kissing he does.

Ever since he got suspended for criticizing Cito Gaston he did a 180. This is what Rogers likes they pander to the fan that can't do any critical thinking.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I should have brought butter to the game today... this team is toast.

Is it just me, or do we have no jam!?!

We really laid an egg with this one...
at least there were some honeys
spread across the ballpark.

Our pitchers arms are like noodles,
and our hitters couldn't make contact with a pizza -
our guys just aren't hungry enough!

I know one thing for sure:
we have too much plate discipline.

[spoil]A poem borne out of sadness...[/spoil]

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
we have management willing to just stick barney/goins and their 50wrc+ and -2/3war paces out there every day for the forseeable future.

a team whose 2 major new FA gets are collectively on pace for another -2/3war.

then the injuries to the MVP and the rotation on top of that.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
AA's core is failing after a 2 year run. Lets hope Shapiro builds a contendor here like he did in Cleveland

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
we have management willing to just stick barney/goins and their 50wrc+ and -2/3war paces out there every day for the forseeable future.

This is what has really irked me. When they announced that Travis was injured and would miss significant time, they should have immediately looked for an upgrade on the replacement platoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->