OT: Everything COVID19 - PART 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
How far is the NHL away from securing say 5000 vaccines. I'm hearing noise of US companies offering their employees vaccines.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Why smart people believe coronavirus myths

In the 80s, 90s, and 2000s we saw the spread of dangerous lies about Aids – from the belief that the HIV virus was created by a government laboratory to the idea that the HIV tests were unreliable, and even the spectacularly unfounded theory that it could be treated with goat’s milk. These claims increased risky behaviour and exacerbated the crisis.

As my friend told me yesterday, we're living in a world where there was human sacrifices to make the rain fall. Starting from that idea, we can't be too surprised that the human being is ready to believe almost anything

COVID-19 Expert Reality Check

So while some will try to minimize people's behavior during the global pandemic, looking around, it seems that the misinformation campain and general disbelief has played a MAJOR role in the continuous spread. The WHO even talked about flattenning the "infodemic curve"

COVID-19 Mythbusters – World Health Organization

Some of the things explained in there makes you ask yourself "why does it have to be explained? It's insane that some people could believe those things"

Another interesting article and the places where the virus spread. In Europe, virus transmission via school is not major, and it's probably the most important thing in society (also hard for adults to work if kids don't have school)

Where do people get infected with the coronavirus? | DW | 30.10.2020

It absolutely does. I don't understand how we imagine the virus get spread in reality? It simply is from a person to another. When you only start being careful when you KNOW you have the virus, it's probably already too late.

Most of the cases have been because someone hasn't been cautious enough somewhere. If you are cautious, chances are very low to inexistant that you'll get the virus. But there's obviously situations where it gets harder and harder to be cautious, like school, work, transportation. I'm lucky as I live in suburbs so it's not a hyperdense populated area but I never felt like I could have gotten the virus by being outside or when shopping.

But anyway, look at this story (it's a random one I used before, there's tons of stories like that)

51-year-old who posted regret about going out died of coronavirus a day later

Thomas Macias, a 51-year-old man from California, was being cautious in the early days of the coronavirus pandemic. Then when restrictions were lifted, he decided to go out, ... He later said he regretted it, when he tested positive for COVID-19 after attending a party.

"Then when he heard restrictions were being lifted, things were becoming more lenient, a friend of his put together a barbecue. So he said, 'Okay this is my chance to see my friends."

BIG mistake. IMO it's much better to be bored for a while rather than having your life ending soon. It's just my opinion of course.

"Because of my stupidity I put my mom and sisters and my family's health in jeopardy. This has been a very painful experience," his post continued. "This is no joke. If you have to go out wear a mask and practice social distancing."

Ok he shouldn't have went. But what really should open people's eyes is that he got it from somebody who KNEW he had tested positive... This is not an isolated incident. Imagine how many times that type of situation happened around the globe. Going places as you know you have covid is IMO a crime against humanity, but of course I'm exagerating.

Some other quotes :

"At first, from what he told us, he was upset at this person that went out knowing that he had this virus. Then he said that quickly turned into anger at himself for having put himself in that situation to begin with," Lopez said."

"This kills people. People should follow the guidelines that are out there – not because the government is asking us to, but because the doctors and the experts, people who really know what they're talking about, are saying it," he said.

It's never been about doing what the governments wants like "little white sheep", but doing what is needed to protect everybody, and yourself.

What do you mean? Because outside rinks are getting closed (not saying I agree with that measure)? I suggest you take a look at history... I have talked about human sacrifices for rain in my post above. Just an example.

I guess I'm somewhat referring to my view that we are seemingly reverting back to the days of "sacrificing people for rain" here with many of the measures that we've seen recently that haven't really been based in science or logic, aka getting dumber again aka idoocracy....the virus certainly is real i just think again in this instance to close down outdoor recreational activity is sheer lunacy and feel this is a step towards another slippery slope...I also believe the best defense for this virus save for a rock solid vaccine which i hope comes asap is to have a strong immune system and to generally be in good health/shape, outdoor activity is pivotal for this to me at least and I assume many others.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
‘experts’

...there are no experts in this pandemic debacle
there definitely are

funny how everyone is now an epidemiologist after reading a few internet forums. There are virus experts and the spread all around the globe. Corona virus is not something that is new or alien.

The problem is how governments prepare, react and have handled it. Also try convincing voters to spend money on healthcare, science and pandemic planning before COVID19 and a lot of people would not have been on board. I mean Ford was voted in as premier. Ford is a huge problem in this

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I guess I'm somewhat referring to my view that we are seemingly reverting back to the days of "sacrificing people for rain" here with many of the measures that we've seen recently that haven't really been based in science or logic, aka getting dumber again aka idoocracy....the virus certainly is real i just think again in this instance to close down outdoor recreational activity is sheer lunacy and feel this is a step towards another slippery slope...I also believe the best defense for this virus save for a rock solid vaccine which i hope comes asap is to have a strong immune system and to generally be in good health/shape, outdoor activity is pivotal for this to me at least and I assume many others.

Personally, I think rules are often exaggerated because of idiots. Normal people wouldn't drive fast in a residential/school zone where there might be kids walking and running around, but because of the pure idiots we have to deal with, they need to put a lot of signs, speed-bumps, radars, police watch, etc

It is what it is. The bill will always be higher due to the idiots factor. It's the same thing with car insurance, you end up paying more because a lot of people steal cars and because of impaired/careless driving.

The only thing I can think of in this instance is people spitting all over the place and possible gatherings with beer drinking and screaming. I don't know. I think outdoor sports are safe in general (much harder for the virus to spread with the vastidity of the outside), as long as you're keeping common sense but that's the problem here. What if there's people who are not acting with common sense? In the end, they don't trust people. Well, I partially don't as well. I would never put my security in the hands of someone else, unless I know and trust that person. But that's all I have, really have no idea of what's the reasonning

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Bring it back on topic before i need to nuke half the thread plz.

Thread is for discussion of covid 19, not the likely origin of future diseases, farming and meat processing practices or vegitarianism

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
there definitely are

funny how everyone is now an epidemiologist after reading a few internet forums. There are virus experts and the spread all around the globe. Corona virus is not something that is new or alien.

The problem is how governments prepare, react and have handled it. Also try convincing voters to spend money on healthcare, science and pandemic planning before COVID19 and a lot of people would not have been on board. I mean Ford was voted in as premier. Ford is a huge problem in this

When was Ford voted in? And when was all this money not spent on healthcare, science and pandemic planning?

Reactions: The Big Ruszkowski

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
When was Ford voted in? And when was all this money not spent on healthcare, science and pandemic planning?

The sad reality is, we have been reducing funding for health care (preventive) for decades. We have also let our guard down when it comes to self reliance for decades as well. As the world shrank due to technology, it became easier to contract everything out. To offer supply contracts to the lowest bidder, regardless of their location. As such, local supply of goods, local centers of excellence (labs, companies, universities) have been reduced if not outright eliminated. Many one time thriving industry are gone.

We saw the fiasco this past summer, when a $1 mask was unavailable. Why? we outsourced to China. As recently as the late 1980's, Canada was a pharmaceutical giant. Montreal was a hub city for pharmaceuticals. Today, that industry is all but gone.

We have blindly followed the path of "less taxes". We did so, to pay for toys. Even otherwise Liberal governments (view point, not party name), succumbed to the easy path of appeasing us and cutting taxes rather than staying true to a commitment for greater social security.

The reality is, given a choice of paying an extra $1000/year in taxes to fund a far greater social society, we would much rather keep that money and use it on an all inclusive vacation, or some new toy. Governments would sink instantly if the average housewife cannot get to a nail or hair salon on Saturday morning, or if your average male cannot play a round of golf that same Saturday.

Ford has proven to be a dignified and good man. He is like Reagan, he spoke harshly, but is governing mildly. But he is nothing more than another politician who has bowed to our wish and has made cuts. This pandemic is now showing us that a round of golf versus added taxes will result in deaths and upheaval. And we all need to consider the value of a nail salon trip versus an infectious disease research center.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Personally, I think rules are often exaggerated because of idiots. Normal people wouldn't drive fast in a residential/school zone where there might be kids walking and running around, but because of the pure idiots we have to deal with, they need to put a lot of signs, speed-bumps, radars, police watch, etc

It is what it is. The bill will always be higher due to the idiots factor. It's the same thing with car insurance, you end up paying more because a lot of people steal cars and because of impaired/careless driving.

The only thing I can think of in this instance is people spitting all over the place and possible gatherings with beer drinking and screaming. I don't know. I think outdoor sports are safe in general (much harder for the virus to spread with the vastidity of the outside), as long as you're keeping common sense but that's the problem here. What if there's people who are not acting with common sense? In the end, they don't trust people. Well, I partially don't as well. I would never put my security in the hands of someone else, unless I know and trust that person. But that's all I have, really have no idea of what's the reasoning

Canada is 37.5 million. ~ 350,000 people have tested positive. While the debate about asymptomatic versus symptomatic is unending, we can assume no more than 1 million Canadians have had it. And in 8 months. That is 125,000 a month. Or about 0.33% of society a month. That is so tiny. How do we realistically hope to slow the spread any further? Even the most draconian measures would only slow it down a tad. Even today, with case rates at near peak, we are only at about 1.1% infected. It would take ~ 45 sets of 2 weeks (90 weeks, ~ 2 years) plus the 8 months thus far to hit 100%.

The United States and about a dozen other nations have allowed this thing to spread rapidly. And even they (The Americans) are at 1.7% a month as tested, possibly 4% if you account for the asymptomatic. The reality is, this is like holding the ocean back. Good luck, regardless of what equipment may be available to you.

I struggle to see how anything other than a full 3-4 weeks of a 100% lock-down and anyone moving about needing to wear a hazmat suit could ever reduce numbers that much lower.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He did manage to sneak in a 45% cut to medication management services to LTC homes. This was after the last independent inquiry into LTC called for increased funding.

I'd like to read about that if you have a link for it

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm glad we're building facilities to make our own PPE, our own vaccines. Unfortunately the vaccine facilities come too late but we need to protect ourselves when other countries pull back and put their citizens first.

The key is we need to maintain these facilities. Maintain the PPE supply. Maintain stockpiles (why isn't Ontario bulk buying masks, stockpiling and selling from their stockpile so next time we don't run into a situation where the stockpile is expired?).

I think, going forward this is our best bet as a nation. They have no problem giving millions in tax incentives for fossil fuels, so they can put a few bucks towards a bit of manufacturing and medical supply sovereignty, at the same time.

This won't be the last pandemic in human history. We screwed up this one, but we need to be on the ball for the next one.

Reactions: Ed Wood and DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think, going forward this is our best bet as a nation. They have no problem giving millions in tax incentives for fossil fuels, so they can put a few bucks towards a bit of manufacturing and medical supply sovereignty, at the same time.

This won't be the last pandemic in human history. We screwed up this one, but we need to be on the ball for the next one.
Well it’s been the mantra of the Liberals and NDP to demonize big Pharma so unless you want to nationalize a Pharma company we aren’t getting large scale operations here. As an aside, there is some manufacturing of vaccines in Canada but they can’t shut down and start producing COVID vaccine since the drugs they currently manufacture are also critical.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Real question.
Why are people so afraid to talk about animal exploitation here and it’s connection with covid(and sars, mers, swine flu, bird flu etc)?

If not, then why is not mentioned anywhere in the “everything covid” thread?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Canada is 37.5 million. ~ 350,000 people have tested positive. While the debate about asymptomatic versus symptomatic is unending, we can assume no more than 1 million Canadians have had it. And in 8 months. That is 125,000 a month. Or about 0.33% of society a month. That is so tiny. How do we realistically hope to slow the spread any further? Even the most draconian measures would only slow it down a tad. Even today, with case rates at near peak, we are only at about 1.1% infected. It would take ~ 45 sets of 2 weeks (90 weeks, ~ 2 years) plus the 8 months thus far to hit 100%.

The United States and about a dozen other nations have allowed this thing to spread rapidly. And even they (The Americans) are at 1.7% a month as tested, possibly 4% if you account for the asymptomatic. The reality is, this is like holding the ocean back. Good luck, regardless of what equipment may be available to you.

I struggle to see how anything other than a full 3-4 weeks of a 100% lock-down and anyone moving about needing to wear a hazmat suit could ever reduce numbers that much lower.

Even if it is "so tiny" in terms of %, it is still a pretty BIG deal. Personally I don't want to lose my grandmother because of it. I already lost my mother and grandfather several years ago. My father and my other grandmother live in Europe. My grandfather as well and he has dementia. One of my brother-in-law has caught it and recovered as he is still under 30 y/o but thankfully he didn't spread it to his parents because they have health issues. I would be worried if my wife got it as well as she doesn't have the best immune system even if she's still pretty young. Even for myself, I'm 40 and healthy and would rather not gamble on it. I know another man, 47 y/o, father of 4, very good person, he has been in coma for weeks now. My best friend, several of his close family members would be in immediate danger. His younger brother is now 30 y/o but 2 years ago, he fainted after we saw Aquaman and left in ambulance. He is autistic and has several health issues. His father is 70 and has smoked and drank an awful lot in his life. The son of one of my brothers-in-law, he has down syndrome and a heart condition. I could go on and on in my community and circle of friends.

I mean, some people might downplay the situation but when it happens to you, it's pretty f***ing dramatic. Cancer and heart diseases are also dramatic. Humanity spends an incredible amount of time, energy and ressources fighting against it every day. Even suicide and accidents, there's a lot of prevention and help but it still happens. Pretty dramatic in the end. A school shooting is a pretty dramatic event, the WTC was utterly dramatic but "only" 5-10 K will have died from it. Ideally, you'd want everybody to die in peace like my great grandmother, in her sleep at 98 y/o.

Covid is a NEW way of dying. It's kind of re-assuring that almost every country took it very seriously. Then you have countries like Brazil or USA with a covidiot as a leader

It doesn't matter what the % is, the reality is that if you don't do anything, the % of people dying and having long lasting effects from it would have been MUCH MUCH worse, and the collateral deaths as well by the chaos that would have occured in the health system. It's aleady pretty chaotic, imagine the disaster it could have been with no serious measures

A few months ago, a "friend" (more like a long time ago) told me "bah it's just the flu, people dying from it would have died anyway". Do you think I still talk to that person? His main beef with the measures was having to wear a mask in stores and his favorite pool place being closed. He has been working 60+ hours during the pandemic, making more money. Well, no sorry, while people are dying and families are suffering, I don't want selfish/clueless people like that in my circle. It's as simple as that.

Unfortunately, Canada wasn't among the countries that were the most prepared and handled the pandemic the most efficiently. Some countries had more "experience" regarding possible outbreaks in the past so they were starting a bit more prepared. Since it's a virus and a virus spreads, it's at the very beginning that you need to act. When it gets spread all over the place, it's already too late, you'll have to work a lot more to "flatten the curve" and will have more economical/health/social/etc negative impact as a result

In some countries, people didn't need to be explained how wearing masks could help for droplets transimssion. They already knew and a lot of them started wearing them right away. I don't know what took so long here. It's a very simple basic, as simple as that urinating meme. Heck there has been anti-mask protests all over Canada this year lol. Kinda shocking in a G-8 country to be honest. You'd listen to the interviews and people were saying "my freedom blah-badee-blah-da-blah-blah, "human rights". That stupid selfish mentality has actually killed a lot people.

So I don't know, I don't have the solutions. I'm not an epidemiologist but looking at what more succesful population and governements (both have a MAJOR role to play) have done would be a good idea. Canada probably did that but are at a point where it's more damage control than anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: pzeeman

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think the pandemic must serve as an eye opener and forever alter our preparedness moving forward. We must have our own capacity to manufacture vaccines and the government will have to invest into that industry, and make it a crown level corporation. They have all kinds of money, as we have seen. Trudeau will have to ensure that we will be more prepared, but there were opportunities in the past after SARS and H1N1, to take pandemic preparation more seriously. They were not.

I did a fist pump in my car as I heard Ottawa's numbers. I hope we can continue to get the numbers trending low and active cases and hospitalization going in the right direction. Heard someone on CFRA yesterday saying that Ottawa, as a 1M pop city, is one of the best cities in the world at the moment when it comes to COVID numbers, if not the best in developed countries

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
I think the pandemic must serve as an eye opener and forever alter our preparedness moving forward. We must have our own capacity to manufacture vaccines and the government will have to invest into that industry, and make it a crown level corporation. They have all kinds of money, as we have seen. Trudeau will have to ensure that we will be more prepared, but there were opportunities in the past after SARS and H1N1, to take pandemic preparation more seriously. They were not.

I did a fist pump in my car as I heard Ottawa's numbers. I hope we can continue to get the numbers trending low and active cases and hospitalization going in the right direction. Heard someone on CFRA yesterday saying that Ottawa, as a 1M pop city, is one of the best cities in the world at the moment when it comes to COVID numbers, if not the best in developed countries

LFG OTTAWA!!!!

Reactions: coladin

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Heard someone on CFRA yesterday saying that Ottawa, as a 1M pop city, is one of the best cities in the world at the moment when it comes to COVID numbers,

Interesting. We do have an advantage being a gov't town where many people can work from home.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Telling you guys a vaccine before next Christmas is a pipe dream

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Even if it is "so tiny" in terms of %, it is still a pretty BIG deal. Personally I don't want to lose my grandmother because of it. I already lost my mother and grandfather several years ago. My father and my other grandmother live in Europe. My grandfather as well and he has dementia. One of my brother-in-law has caught it and recovered as he is still under 30 y/o but thankfully he didn't spread it to his parents because they have health issues. I would be worried if my wife got it as well as she doesn't have the best immune system even if she's still pretty young. Even for myself, I'm 40 and healthy and would rather not gamble on it. I know another man, 47 y/o, father of 4, very good person, he has been in coma for weeks now. My best friend, several of his close family members would be in immediate danger. His younger brother is now 30 y/o but 2 years ago, he fainted after we saw Aquaman and left in ambulance. He is autistic and has several health issues. His father is 70 and has smoked and drank an awful lot in his life. The son of one of my brothers-in-law, he has down syndrome and a heart condition. I could go on and on in my community and circle of friends.

I mean, some people might downplay the situation but when it happens to you, it's pretty f***ing dramatic. Cancer and heart diseases are also dramatic. Humanity spends an incredible amount of time, energy and ressources fighting against it every day. Even suicide and accidents, there's a lot of prevention and help but it still happens. Pretty dramatic in the end. A school shooting is a pretty dramatic event, the WTC was utterly dramatic but "only" 5-10 K will have died from it. Ideally, you'd want everybody to die in peace like my great grandmother, in her sleep at 98 y/o.

Covid is a NEW way of dying. It's kind of re-assuring that almost every country took it very seriously. Then you have countries like Brazil or USA with a covidiot as a leader

It doesn't matter what the % is, the reality is that if you don't do anything, the % of people dying and having long lasting effects from it would have been MUCH MUCH worse, and the collateral deaths as well by the chaos that would have occured in the health system. It's aleady pretty chaotic, imagine the disaster it could have been with no serious measures

A few months ago, a "friend" (more like a long time ago) told me "bah it's just the flu, people dying from it would have died anyway". Do you think I still talk to that person? His main beef with the measures was having to wear a mask in stores and his favorite pool place being closed. He has been working 60+ hours during the pandemic, making more money. Well, no sorry, while people are dying and families are suffering, I don't want selfish/clueless people like that in my circle. It's as simple as that.

Unfortunately, Canada wasn't among the countries that were the most prepared and handled the pandemic the most efficiently. Some countries had more "experience" regarding possible outbreaks in the past so they were starting a bit more prepared. Since it's a virus and a virus spreads, it's at the very beginning that you need to act. When it gets spread all over the place, it's already too late, you'll have to work a lot more to "flatten the curve" and will have more economical/health/social/etc negative impact as a result

In some countries, people didn't need to be explained how wearing masks could help for droplets transmission. They already knew and a lot of them started wearing them right away. I don't know what took so long here. It's a very simple basic, as simple as that urinating meme. Heck there has been anti-mask protests all over Canada this year lol. Kinda shocking in a G-8 country to be honest. You'd listen to the interviews and people were saying "my freedom blah-badee-blah-da-blah-blah, "human rights". That stupid selfish mentality has actually killed a lot people.

So I don't know, I don't have the solutions. I'm not an epidemiologist but looking at what more successful population and governments (both have a MAJOR role to play) have done would be a good idea. Canada probably did that but are at a point where it's more damage control than anything.

I have become nearly obsessed with this virus. I read as much as I can and review data extensively. Virtually no nation has done better than Canada (At least nations who we trust, you must forgive me, I trust the UAE about as far as I can throw it). If you take the roughly 50 "first world nations", Canada is near the top. England has tested at nearly 2 times our tests/million and their numbers are all, percentage wise, higher. As is pretty much the bulk of Europe. Only some Scandinavian nations seem to have this thing in check. And my "amateur Doctor" guess is; we will discover a genetic reason for that. Ditto for Japan and S. Korea. Australia , NZ are islands and can be isolated much easier. There state of existence has been partially "isolative" since their births as nations.

Believe me, I am feeling your pain and understand your need to move as close to a 100% lock-down with extreme measures as possible. But we cannot. And even if we do, the virus will return since Canada is not in a bubble. Added measures will improve things. Our behavior will improve things. But sadly, we're pushing up against a limit. We must endure the next 4-5 months at around 5000-7000 tested cases (so anywhere from 10000-35000 true cases a day) until the vaccine is available and distributed. Added measures will reduce these numbers by small increments and not significant ones.

Keep your loved ones safe for the next 5 months, possibly 6. We may be at our limits in controlling this. And this may be of little consultation, I do not believe that it will escalate beyond the 5000-7000. Europe has shown us that small adjustments generally lead to rapid drop off (less Poland and Romania who are on a suicide path).

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020

a government town, where a fair amount of workers were moving towards working from home anyway. In a city where about 1/3 of all people draw a paycheck from one government level or another. We're unique. Heck yes, we should be the best in the world. The reality is; Ottawa is partially covid proof and is partially recession proof and is incredibly lucky in a multitude of ways. If you are a government worker, sitting at home in your PJ's now, doing your work, all the while babysitting your kids...other than worrying about Mom or Dad, or Grandma or Grandpa, this covid thing has little meaning.

Try and remember the self reliance when an election comes around and some one knocks on your door and the first words out of their mouth is; taxes... we generally follow the person who tells us, they will cut them!!!!

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Real question.
Why are people so afraid to talk about animal exploitation here and it’s connection with covid(and sars, mers, swine flu, bird flu etc)?

Real question.

If you want to talk about wet markets and commercial poultry farms and their connection to animal to human disease transmission I’m all ears. Wet markets are awful but not going anywhere and commercial farms, particularly poultry needs higher standards. However, when you push your anti meat views on me it’s no different than pushing your religious or political beliefs. I find that offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad