Everything COVID19 - PART 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Per capita Canada pollutes a crap ton.
We're a big cold country. Oil sands don't help but we dont consume all that ourselves. I feel like even if the oil sands didn't exist or if it were the greenest oil on the planet, we'd still be bad on per capital pollution.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Reactions: OttawaSenators11

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Good to hear the science now showing the risk of surface infection may be less than we thought. No more wiping down the groceries and pizza boxes. :) Although common area indoor doorknobs may still be problematic. After pressing buttons in an elevator, I will still hand sanitize until I can wash my hands. But maybe playgrounds in summer can safely reopen.

Interesting they note that if you are wearing gloves you are more likely to continue infecting for a while with those gloves that touched an infected surface, whereas if you were regularly washing your hands instead, we’d probably reduce transmission shopping that way for example. Somewhat similar to the early talk about masks that they later withdrew, although this time it seems more intuitively correct. They’re not saying it because they want to preserve gloves for medical personnel this time, but maybe a bit because they are polluting the environment pretty badly too.

This evolving of our understanding as we observe and learn is obviously the way good science should work. . But hearing people say that since scientists changed their tune on masks, that they aren’t going to listen to the best available evidence anymore, sounds like the kind of petulant teenage angst I would hope we were beyond accommodating.

Reactions: Ed Wood

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Good to hear the science now showing the risk of surface infection may be less than we thought. No more wiping down the groceries and pizza boxes. :) Although common area indoor doorknobs may still be problematic. After pressing buttons in an elevator, I will still hand sanitize until I can wash my hands. But maybe playgrounds in summer can safely reopen.

Interesting they note that if you are wearing gloves you are more likely to continue infecting for a while with those gloves that touched an infected surface, whereas if you were regularly washing your hands instead, we’d probably reduce transmission shopping that way for example. Somewhat similar to the early talk about masks that they later withdrew, although this time it seems more intuitively correct. They’re not saying it because they want to preserve gloves for medical personnel this time, but maybe a bit because they are polluting the environment pretty badly too.

This evolving of our understanding as we observe and learn is obviously the way good science should work. . But hearing people say that since scientists changed their tune on masks, that they aren’t going to listen to the best available evidence anymore, sounds like the kind of petulant teenage angst I would hope we were beyond accommodating.

In practical terms what does this all mean; the spread of Covid 19 is no slower now that we know surface transmission is not a significant risk, so that suggests that the other risky behaviours must be picking up the slack. I guess we should assume now that social distance and masks are more important than we once thought since the proportion of infections we had assumed were coming from surface transmission now appear to be coming from something else.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
In practical terms what does this all mean; the spread of Covid 19 is no slower now that we know surface transmission is not a significant risk, so that suggests that the other risky behaviours must be picking up the slack. I guess we should assume now that social distance and masks are more important than we once thought since the proportion of infections we had assumed were coming from surface transmission now appear to be coming from something else.

Yes i agree. I think this just allows us to make some marginal adjustments in how we manage this. And some more knowledge to add to our currently incomplete picture as we continue to learn.

But if playgrounds can relatively safely reopen in summer, that would be helpful policy. And if food delivery is seen as safer, that can contribute to some economic relief as well.

Canada feels like we have got to the end of the beginning. Now we have to manage our way through the long middle. No high school football in Texas this year! A long middle.

Reactions: Micklebot

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

MV5BODQ1YWFmNDEtMDMyMi00OWU5LWIwMDktYjE1YjcwZjBlNDBlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQ2MjQ5NzM@._V1_.jpg

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
What was the proportion of infections that was assumed to come from surface contact? Are there reports on this?

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
What was the proportion of infections that was assumed to come from surface contact? Are there reports on this?

There didnt seem to be an easy way to determine this yet. They said it was hard to deduce from contact tracing because its hard for people to remember all the things they have touched in the last few days. So they cant generally isolate that it was the door at Starbucks for example that everyone touched in common. They would just assume community transmission.

But probabilities that enough viral load can be transmitted by surface touch has led to a reasoned deduction that the risk is lessened.Especially with regular hand washing. But the best available evidence we have at the moment suggests that it does appear to mostly be respiratory transmission. Hence the masks.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

In practical terms, I'd say perhaps it is one of the reasons the virus didn't take off as modelled

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Is anyone else concerned about the development of our current and to be prospects and emerging NHL players is going to be affected by long layoffs for the NHL and possible cancelled seasons in the NCAA, AHL. CHL tbd but that looks like it has a better chance. Sens rebuild could possibly take a set back in development

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Is anyone else concerned about the development of our current and to be prospects and emerging NHL players is going to be affected by long layoffs for the NHL and possible cancelled seasons in the NCAA, AHL. CHL tbd but that looks like it has a better chance. Sens rebuild could possibly take a set back in development

not concerned because all prospects are in the same boat.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Its a good point but not all teams have torn it down and are in the same stage of rebuilding .. with the same reliance on prospect development

Good point.

All we really have is Brady and Chabot as current core pieces. Everything else relies on development (and making good picks in 2020...whenever the draft finally happens).

I have no idea what is going to happen. Seems the NCAA is shutting down a lot of sports and on campus learning (which also means the big advantage of those multi-million dollar training facilities are gone too). The CHL, USHL and Jr A and AHL all desperately need gate revenue to operate, and likely won't see it. Europe might be an option, but at the same time, Euro leagues will definitely end up putting restrictions on the number of imports to protect their own players.

I'm not sure where a lot of these kids will play. The only saving grace is dryland training and personal training plans are light years ahead of what they were even a decade ago. As long as they have some sort of home gym and constant contact with the team and personal trainers, they should have their bodies in peak condition.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Its a good point but not all teams have torn it down and are in the same stage of rebuilding .. with the same reliance on prospect development

It pains me to think of some of the key development lost for a large chunk of our future core. The AHL playoffs especially would have been informative, to see whether they could’ve truly risen to the occasion or if they get beat like Spezza’s team to Wilkes Barre. All the big tourneys where they could have found some renewed confidence and elevated their games. And the coming muddle through of an attempted season is certainly going to cause lost development time for some Hopefully Bochenski has a safe place for all our players on the Fighting Hawks.

Some would be needing this summer to be able to make the jump to the NHL next year. That will likely be delayed now. The how to develop players handbook must be getting a rewrite right now.

And of course, just imagine how the conversation will change if a key prospect gets infected and suffers long term damage, especially if from a relatively meaningless exhibition game.

I guess we’ll see if not playing before a live crowd changes anyone’s love of the game. And there are no doubt going to be some painful opt outs too for the potential coming playoffs that may make some fans feel as betrayed as Sens fans over Hasek.

Some one will figure out the optimum strategy for getting through this chaos. Put on that thinking cap Pierre.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

true, I think younger players will be less effected by the turmoil, one thing I think we will see is some of our prospects making huge leaps coming out of the lay-off and others that stagnated or just lost a step. Who knows who those will be, but the Ottawa system being so competative my guess is most guys will be on their toes and the weaker ones Will just be pushed to the side instead of us pretending they have a shot (like Brian Lee or Curtis Lamar)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

A lot of prospect development is based on adding size and strength to play in the premier men's league in the world. I think for some of our guys this will be a good thing

I think older teams that have been away from it for a long time are going to struggle more.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Any one else in the food processing/packaging industry?

I'm curious to hear how other's employers have been through this so far. I'm taking issue with a few things that mine has done/is doing, but appreciate I may be better off than others, so am just interested in learning what other people's experiences have been.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

I’m not personally, because I think that the real deal prospects will use this time off to hit the gym and take advantage of the situation to get stronger and work on the little things. They will still be able to play shinny games they will only be missing the higher intensity and more competitive atmosphere of real games. Someone like Formenton for example has more time than he’d ever have to add some more strength which can help massively in cementing a full time spot with the big club next season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The Blame Game.

So... After years of cries of "fake news" this and "fake news" that, they turn to the very institute they worked so hard to expunge of any and all credibility in order to attack the credibility of ostensibly one of their own?

It's like reality is a far side comic these days...

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So... After years of cries of "fake news" this and "fake news" that, they turn to the very institute they worked so hard to expunge of any and all credibility in order to attack the credibility of ostensibly one of their own?

It's like reality is a far side comic these days...

Filthy, corrupt, rotten to the core politics... I just watched "The Great Hack" .... Fake News lol Manipulative Messaging is where its at. Terrible precedent and words that sound like and rhyme with that.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
do you know what a politician who isn't in office is called? Nothing.

So rule 1) get elected. Rule 2) get re-elected. Or you are nothing. Don't hold politicians in high regards folks.

what is it about what is happening that has people confused? NOVEL..new virus. No one has ever had it. Herd immunity is looking less and less likely. In fact the build up of antibodies is appearing to be poor to none. And even in cases when antibodies appear strong, the body requires fantastic energy to maintain antibodies.so, it will sheds them.

Meaning, this thing is the new AIDS. It will go on forever. Or until drugs are developed to reduce its effectiveness and thus reduce its transmissibility. Which if AIDs is the example, may be 10-20 years off. AZT came in, in the early 1990's. About 10 years after the world became fully aware of AIDS. Now, with AIDS, all you had to do was; not drop your pants, not share needles and be somewhat careful about exposure to human body fluid. Which (actually proved to be more difficult than I would have assumed..40 million dead and counting of AIDS) meant you could escape it...This virus, is respiratory.

It is ~ 10% deadly in that 15% vulnerable group. A group, we will all join as we age!!! Meaning, everyone of us will be facing a 10% mortality rate once we age and/or develop harsh health issues. If we are lucky and we hit octogenarian status, that will jump to about 30%... This virus may send humanity back to pre-WWII, when life expectancy was below 75 and anyone with any sort of health issue, often died early. We are the last generation that could see a child/great grandparent coexistence.

As for a vaccine, the last few health issues have not produced one, or at least one that was effective and safe. It took 30 years to get HIV drugs to work properly and to be safe.

We are going to long for AIDS in another year or two...Because unlike Aids, where you have to go to it. C19 will come to you.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Not surprised to see this take coming from you.

Not surprised to see your dork response. Mine was an honest question as it was felt in instances where social distancing is not possible to wear a mask. Now they are recommending both or not, but I will leave that to be answered by others who do not wish to take a shit instead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->