Everything COVID19 - PART 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
It's the blatant hypocrisy that gets me. The US President had 100% peaceful protesters cleared away with tear gas and rubber bullets so he could cross the street for a photo op in front of a church (Donald Trump threatens to deploy army as teargas fired so he can pose at church) where he said “I am mobilising all available federal resources, civilian and military, to stop the rioting and looting, to end the destruction and arson and to protect the rights of law-abiding Americans, including your second amendment rights.” So props to the Second Amendment, while the First is being trampled on across the street. When people are shouted down for using hate speech, it's oh oh but freedom of speech! When people are protesting injustice, they're thugs. Forget coronavirus, this is what's getting martial law imposed and the same truthers who see covid as a conspiracy for government control will be right there cheering it on.
Yes that I agree with. Actually when I posted my post I didn’t see he did that. My spouse told me about that last night. Pretty sickening to say the least. It really doesn’t surprise me anymore what that mad man does.

Thugs are thugs and not protestors. My mind won’t change on that. But the United States needs a president. Country is falling apart.

Reactions: GCK

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
You're lucky your life isn't the news cycle.

It’s all dialed up to 11 all the time . Race , covid .

You live in the single best time to be alive ever as a resident of Canada . Of course it can be improved and made more just.

Canada has racists . Obviously . Let’s identify and fight them.

Canada does not have a police brutality problem.

Grizwald

Dec 19, 2017
Yes that I agree with. Actually when I posted my post I didn’t see he did that. My spouse told me about that last night. Pretty sickening to say the least. It really doesn’t surprise me anymore what that mad man does.

Thugs are thugs and not protestors. My mind won’t change on that. But the United States needs a president. Country is falling apart.

CSNY will have to update their song with new lyrics: "Tin soldiers and a racist, dumber-than-a-bag-of-hammers orange haired moron coming"

Reactions: tardigrade81

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It’s all dialed up to 11 all the time . Race , covid .

You live in the single best time to be alive ever as a resident of Canada . Of course it can be improved and made more just.

Canada has racists . Obviously . Let’s identify and fight them.

Canada does not have a police brutality problem.

Unfortunately, the First Nations peoples would disagree with that. Perhaps the police here don't outright beat or choke people to death, but they sure don't treat our indigenous peoples with the same respect as city folk.

We're definitely better than America...but being better than the USA is a pretty low bar to pass. We still need to do better in many areas.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
This is how civil wars start. Look at Syria, Yemen, Libya, etc. If you constantly oppress certain peoples of your country or if your corruption becomes overwhelming or if you threaten their democracy, all hell will break loose when people reach their limit.

Everyone talking about the rioting and looting. So what? You don't expect any backlash? You don't expect a reaction after nothing has changed? I'm surprised they haven't shown up armed yet. But I suppose with the president they have there it's only a matter of time before this turns into a full-fledged street war.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Unfortunately, the First Nations peoples would disagree with that. Perhaps the police here don't outright beat or choke people to death, but they sure don't treat our indigenous peoples with the same respect as city folk.

We're definitely better than America...but being better than the USA is a pretty low bar to pass. We still need to do better in many areas.

Here are the questions:

Is Canada more or less racist than it was 50 years ago ? 25 years ago ?
Are we progressing in the right direction in your estimation ?

Do you find agreement or disagreement with claims that “nothing has changed” from decades of peaceful work to advance equality and human rights , and therefore rioting to force the change is justified ?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Ontario (446) -- Health officials confirmed an additional 446 cases on Tuesday, which is the highest number of new infections in over a week

I wonder if we are starting to see an uptick from the long weekend
Only 7 new cases in the total Eastern Region including Ottawa
We should build a wall around Toronto and get them to pay for it

Just lock the doors of all the condos and apartments that house the selfish millennials? :sarcasm:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Here are the questions:

Is Canada more or less racist than it was 50 years ago ? 25 years ago ?
Are we progressing in the right direction in your estimation ?

Do you find agreement or disagreement with claims that “nothing has changed” from decades of peaceful work to advance equality and human rights , and therefore rioting to force the change is justified ?

To your two Qs:

1. Less racist, but far from perfect
2. Yes, heading in the right direction.

Things have changed. Dylan said so. :)

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
This is how civil wars start. Look at Syria, Yemen, Libya, etc. If you constantly oppress certain peoples of your country or if your corruption becomes overwhelming or if you threaten their democracy, all hell will break loose when people reach their limit.

Everyone talking about the rioting and looting. So what? You don't expect any backlash? You don't expect a reaction after nothing has changed? I'm surprised they haven't shown up armed yet. But I suppose with the president they have there it's only a matter of time before this turns into a full-fledged street war.

Honestly, after the so called 1% keeps getting bailed out and getting tax cuts left and right, I’m surprised the rioting is not more widespread. There’s some deeply rooted issues in the US, I think the pandemic just accelerated everything. Having everyone cooped up, many millions out of work, watching non-stop doom and gloom news, seeing ANOTHER black man murdered by a cop with no repercussions, a president hellbent on dividing the US population, it was just a matter of time. This started as black lives matter, but it’s going to evolve into something bigger.

Then, when these protesters hit the streets, they’re met with a militarized police force that seems to be enjoying getting to use a lot of their toys against their fellow citizens.

I’m sure if you were to count all the damage done by looting and destruction of property, it probably only adds up to a dozen or so of their fancy missiles that they like to indiscriminately drop in the Middle East. The looters represent such small fraction of a percentage of the people in these protest anyway.

Good luck to our American friends fighting for justice and equality. I think this will be a really tough fight, I hope it wont be for nothing and real change will follow.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Ontario (446) -- Health officials confirmed an additional 446 cases on Tuesday, which is the highest number of new infections in over a week

The new direction permitting everyone to get swabbed is likely part of it as well.

There are likely to be spikes with the relaxing of rules, but this is an expected/mitigated risk, and poses less of a threat to overwhelming the Heath care system in its current state.

Reactions: Cosmix

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

I think this is important as well:

Much of Monday’s case growth came from outbreaks in agricultural settings in southern Ontario, including a farm complex with 120 cases among its migrant workforce in Simcoe, Ont. and a greenhouse near St. Catharines with at least 20 cases.

At least 140 cases related to agricultural and migrant work.

It wouldn't surprise me if these were people from Latin America where case loads are rising.

I hope we're providing adequate care. They're doing essential work for the food supply chain.

But at the same time - this question came up months ago to Trudeau and Ford. How were we going to get labor in for farm crops and planting so they are not impacted by COVID-19? What happened?

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The new direction permitting everyone to get swabbed is likely part of it as well.

There are likely to be spikes with the relaxing of rules, but this is an expected/mitigated risk, and poses less of a threat to overwhelming the Heath care system in its current state.
The article suggested a good chunk was from agricultural settings:

Much of Monday’s case growth came from outbreaks in agricultural settings in southern Ontario, including a farm complex with 120 cases among its migrant workforce in Simcoe, Ont. and a greenhouse near St. Catharines with at least 20 cases.

A cluster like that can quickly skew the numbers,

edit: looks like Daxi beat me to it...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

It wouldn't surprise me if these were people from Latin America where case loads are rising.

I hope we're providing adequate care. They're doing essential work for the food supply chain.

But at the same time - this question came up months ago to Trudeau and Ford. How were we going to get labor in for farm crops and planting so they are not impacted by COVID-19? What happened?

They set up some guidelines for bringing in migrant workers, I guess their guidelines were insufficient, or not followed.

Reactions: variable26

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

They are from Mexico and they sat thru a 14 day quarantine upon their arrival in Canada

Reactions: Daxi

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
They set up some guidelines for bringing in migrant workers, I guess their guidelines were insufficient, or not followed.

Or they were clear when they emerged from quarantine only to have someone catch covid in Canada which quickly spreads in that community given the working conditions and living arrangements

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Or they were clear when they emerged from quarantine only to have someone catch covid in Canada which quickly spreads in that community given the working conditions and living arrangements
My understanding was the guidelines were intending to keep them at low risk from becoming a cluster while they worked here, not just about insuring they didn't bring in covid19 and become a seed for community spread.

So 14 day quarintine is great, hopefully there was testing and screening for symptoms on arrival and at least at the end of quarintine. From there they can start working if everyone is cleared, but if they are all being housed in shared accommodations there should have been ongoing measures and mitigation means. Just like how local offices are preping for return to work; closing off shared dining areas, masks if you can't maintain 2 metre social distance, clean high use surfaces frequenly, checkerboard pattern for occupying workspaces ect.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
My understanding was the guidelines were intending to keep them at low risk from becoming a cluster while they worked here, not just about insuring they didn't bring in covid19 and become a seed for community spread.

So 14 day quarintine is great, hopefully there was testing and screening for symptoms on arrival and at least at the end of quarintine. From there they can start working if everyone is cleared, but if they are all being housed in shared accommodations there should have been ongoing measures and mitigation means. Just like how local offices are preping for return to work; closing off shared dining areas, masks if you can't maintain 2 metre social distance, clean high use surfaces frequenly, checkerboard pattern for occupying workspaces ect.

What happened there seems like the same thing as what happened with the meat plants and the old age homes.

One guy gets and bam. Either working conditions or living arrangements. We got examples of both all over the world and for those poor souls it was a combination of perhaps the two worst situations to be in

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What happened there seems like the same thing as what happened with the meat plants and the old age homes.

One guy gets and bam. Either working conditions or living arrangements. We got examples of both all over the world and for those poor souls it was a combination of perhaps the two worst situations to be in

Agree but i guess the broader point is we have enough examples of how the virus spreads in similar scenarios that we should probably have it figured out what needs to be in place to do things safely. So, back to my original point, either the guidelines were inadequate or not followed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad