Everything COVID19 - PART 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Omg... this is so stupid

People are accidentally throwing out their stimulus payments — because they look like junk mail

US stimulus cheques are being sent out as pre paid debit cards and some people apparently mistake them for junk mail unwanted credit cards... hopefully they can sort it out and still get the money,
This is what happens when you constantly cripple the whole federal government, some incompetent idiots think that this was ok to do. Actual scams look more legitimate than this. I'm surprised the card didn't have a picture of Trump on it.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
This is what happens when you constantly cripple the whole federal government, some incompetent idiots think that this was ok to do. Actual scams look more legitimate than this. I'm surprised the card didn't have a picture of Trump on it.
A little off topic but I’ve had some bad experiences dealing with the CRA. After dealing with them I realized why so many Canadians get scammed. A lot of the CRA agents sound just as unprofessional and unknowledgeable as the scam artists from abroad.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
A pretty scathing article from MacLeans on Canada's covid response

How Canada has bungled the COVID-19 endgame - Macleans.ca

I'm tired of morons comparing us (or other countries that matter) to island nations thousands of miles away from Europe and America.

It's not helpful in any shape or form. My god what an ego for such monumental stupidity.

The weird measures he's using are icing on the moron cake.

Canada has failed in a few ways but that article just makes me think the author is a moron. I mean seriously - he mocks Trudeau for focusing on women's health initiatives in global health while making some snide comment that Trudeau doesn't understand global health isn't just women's health in developing countries... And then he claims Trudeau should have instead been focused his government's global health initiatives on preparing for a once in a century pandemic. The stupidity. The Monday morning QB idiocy.

The few good points he make are drowned by the stupidity and ego.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'm tired of morons comparing us (or other countries that matter) to island nations thousands of miles away from Europe and America.

It's not helpful in any shape or form. My god what an ego for such monumental stupidity.

Canada has failed in a few ways but that article just makes me think the author is a moron. I mean seriously - he mocks Trudeau for focusing on women's health initiatives in global health while making some snide comment that Trudeau doesn't understand global health isn't just women's health in developing countries... And then he claims Trudeau should have instead been focused his government's global health initiatives on preparing for a once in a century pandemic. The stupidity. The Monday morning QB idiocy.

I think it's quite helpful that the scientific and medical community are speaking out. I think this country's response to covid needs to be thoroughly examined and some hard questions asked. Frankly, I expect nothing less.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I think it's quite helpful that the scientific and medical community are speaking out. I think this country's response to covid needs to be thoroughly examined and some hard questions asked. Frankly, I expect nothing less.

I think it's important to distinguish between valid criticism and blowhards more interested in getting off to their name in print. That article falls into the latter not the former.

There will be a lot of time to examine the approach and response. Hopefully we'll get something considerably more intelligent, thoughtful and helpful than the dumbest thing I have read this week.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think it's important to distinguish between valid criticism and blowhards more interested in getting off to their name in print. That article falls into the latter not the former.

There will be a lot of time to examine the approach and response. Hopefully we'll get something considerably more intelligent, thoughtful and helpful than the dumbest thing I have read this week.

That article is written by Amir Attaran. He's a professor of both law and medicine at the University of Ottawa. In epidemiology and public health no less. He was educated at Berkely and Oxford.

You can read his bio here
Amir Attaran - Wikipedia

I'd dare say Daxi it's you that's starting to come off as a blowhard. The man is highly qualified and MacLeans is a respected publication in this country

There's an increasing backlash of professionals in this country, highly qualified experienced people practicing in the fields of epidemiology and public health, that are openly questioning the response to covid. I have posted some of it here. You seem to want to wave your hand and dismiss points of view that question the response in Canada. Why?

Is every professional in the fields of epidemiology and public health that questions our collective governments response to be simply dismissed as a blowhard?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
That article is written by Amir Attaran. He's a professor of both law and medicine at the University of Ottawa. In epidemiology and public health no less. He was educated at Berkely and Oxford.

Amir Attaran - Wikipedia

I'd dare say Daxi it's you that's starting to come off as a blowhard. The man is highly qualified and MacLeans is a respected publication in this country

There's an increasing backlash of professionals in this country, highly qualified experienced people practicing in the fields of epidemiology and public health, that are openly questioning the response to covid. I have posted some of it here. You seem to want to wave your hand and dismiss points of view that question the response in Canada. Why?

Is every professional in the fields of epidemiology and public health that questions our collective governments response to be simply dismissed as a blowhard?
:thumbu:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Amir Attaran - Wikipedia

Macleans has had a heavy right wing slant for several years now. And knowing what is going on with the ownership fo such media in Canada, I can say for sure that article is more edoritorial than informative.

Reactions: Ed Wood

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Amir Attaran - Wikipedia

:thumbu:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
In the end, all this rioting will have the opposite affect.

I get why people are protesting. I am all for protesting in a peaceful way.

All this violence is going to do is increase racism. Nothing is going to change because of this.

Too bad these rioters are too stupid to figure that one out.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
In the end, all this rioting will have the opposite affect.

I get why people are protesting. I am all for protesting in a peaceful way.

All this violence is going to do is increase racism. Nothing is going to change because of this.

Too bad these rioters are too stupid to figure that one out.

Well, they are discovering that many of the ones pushing the violent side of this are outside agitators. And many have links to white supremacist groups. And we see lots of chatter online form those proud boys and brown shirts doing this on purpose to push for civil war.

And it sure doesn't help when a white guy driving an 18-wheeler plows onto a crowd of people sitting on a bridge. No way you can justify that shit.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Macleans has had a heavy right wing slant for several years now. And knowing what is going on with the ownership fo such media in Canada, I can say for sure that article is more edoritorial than informative.

That's pretty funny...the guy that wrote the article is a left wing activist

Feel free to read the wiki page i linked. It outlines the causes he's been involved with

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That's pretty funny...the guy that wrote the article is a left wing activist

Feel free to read the wiki page i linked. It outlines the causes he's been involved with

Doesn't change the fact that Macleans is a right leaning publication, and the articles inside will lean to that viewpoint.

Someone who jumps at the chance to run to the media to get his name in print, is indeed a blowhard.

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink

I didn’t read this article yet, so can’t comment specifically, but Maclean’s has gone on a long, hard slide since its print days. It’s editorialized right leaning hyperbole too much of time, and I barely take it seriously as a source. It used to be excellent when I was a subscriber back in the day. Today, for me, it would be the proverbial bird cage liner.

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
Doesn't change the fact that Macleans is a right leaning publication, and the articles inside will lean to that viewpoint.

Someone who jumps at the chance to run to the media to get his name in print, is indeed a blowhard.

It’s not even that it’s right leaning - there’s other right leaning publications that I might not agree with, but recognize as fair and professional. Maclean’s has just lost it with the tone they go with almost all the time. Hyberbolic, breathless, thinly disguised snark. Useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->