News Article: Everything Coming Up "Shannyplan" An In-depth Look at the President of the Toronto Maple Leafs

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
with what might be my last article until I come back from vacation, I take a very indepth view of Shanahan's actions in the four years he's been President, and how this is just so much more than having a great team on the ice. Best "PR" hire ever I say.

per usual - opinions are welcome, and this is for @IBeL34f who was simply tired of reading "LEAFS NEED......" threads ;)

HockeyIntangibles: Everything Coming up Shannyplan - An In-Depth Look at the Toronto Maple Leafs President.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Like a lot of hockey executives who are successful (although he isn't really successful yet), Shanny benefited from a ton of luck. Could he have replicated this in Arizona or Buffalo? I doubt it. That said, he seems pretty level headed and is the captain of the ship, so you have to give him some credit for what appears to be a very competitive team for a decade or more.

JohnnyInThe6

Jul 1, 2018
lol we all got lucky including shanny when the leafs won 1st overall

i don't care what the main page says or peg fans say - the Leafs are nowhere near as complete as they are now if we had Laine/Puljarvi instead of Matthews.. Matthews is the key for the next decade and the key to the city as we go on our quest for the stanley cup

i will never forget the day they flipped that cardboard on TSN and the logo was Toronto Maple Leafs for 1st overall

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I was always galled by Brian Burke blaming the media and the fans for his incompetence as the Leaf GM/President. To this day, Burke still raves about it.
Glad that Shanny, has dispelled this fallacy to his players, and to most Leafs fans. Even on this site, some non Leaf fans, who don't the city and media still think the ranting of Burke is still true.
I know Tavares has caused a big stir in Leafland. But over the year with Shanahan at the helm, there is little drama and much calm in the LeafLand.
Thanks Shanny from Leaf and NHL fans and thanks Daisy for the post.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I was always galled by Brian Burke blaming the media and the fans for his incompetence as the Leaf GM/President. To this day, Burke still raves about it.
Glad that Shanny, has dispelled this fallacy to his players, and to most Leafs fans. Even on this site, some non Leaf fans, who don't the city and media still think the ranting of Burke is still true.
I know Tavares has caused a big stir in Leafland. But over the year with Shanahan at the helm, there is little drama and much calm in the LeafLand.
Thanks Shanny from Leaf and NHL fans and thanks Daisy for the post.

and honestly. i have had words about Burke. and seriously the amount of excuses he has blows my mind. Shanahan has had worse and he owns it.

seriously, i would give good money for someone to flat out ask Burke some hard questions. , and then coutner everything with 'but shanahan had it worse the first two years. so obviously you're full of poo."

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
with what might be my last article until I come back from vacation, I take a very indepth view of Shanahan's actions in the four years he's been President, and how this is just so much more than having a great team on the ice. Best "PR" hire ever I say.

per usual - opinions are welcome, and this is for @IBeL34f who was simply tired of reading "LEAFS NEED......" threads ;)

HockeyIntangibles: Everything Coming up Shannyplan - An In-Depth Look at the Toronto Maple Leafs President.
I might hire you to tell my life story. Obviously I remember all that's happened since shanny came here but it sounds better the way you write it.
Hopefully you could make my autobiography interesting? :laugh:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Very refreshing thread, Daisy, thank you :P

Things have been going beautifully since Shanahan came on board, and it's been a real treat to watch unfold. Sure, some of it can be attributed to luck, but I do believe that there's some truth to the old adage that we create our own luck - Shanny had a vision and a plan when he signed up, and while things might "change every day", he's stuck to that plan, and, as far as this Leafs fan is concerned, delivered as well as anyone could have ever possibly hoped for at this stage in the game.

He seems to love this franchise, and he seems to love what he's doing, and when you have people like that at the top, that bleeds down throughout the rest of the organization, and becomes infectious. Dubas, Babcock and Keefe all seem to exemplify these qualities as well, and that's a huge, huge thing when developing a fresh wave of NHLers (especially with the talents we've mined) and a winning culture. They've created a competitive environment that people want to buy into, and they are going to bring the Cup home. I can almost taste it already.

It really has been an absolute joy being a Leafs fan the past few years, and to think that there's still so much farther to go... I cant wait.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Very refreshing thread, Daisy, thank you :P

Things have been going beautifully since Shanahan came on board, and it's been a real treat to watch unfold. Sure, some of it can be attributed to luck, but I do believe that there's some truth to the old adage that we create our own luck - Shanny had a vision and a plan when he signed up, and while things might "change every day", he's stuck to that plan, and, as far as this Leafs fan is concerned, delivered as well as anyone could have ever possibly hoped for at this stage in the game.

He seems to love this franchise, and he seems to love what he's doing, and when you have people like that at the top, that bleeds down throughout the rest of the organization, and becomes infectious. Dubas, Babcock and Keefe all seem to exemplify these qualities as well, and that's a huge, huge thing when developing a fresh wave of NHLers (especially with the talents we've mined) and a winning culture. They've created a competitive environment that people want to buy into, and they are going to bring the Cup home. I can almost taste it already.

It really has been an absolute joy being a Leafs fan the past few years, and to think that there's still so much farther to go... I cant wait.

lol you are welcome :)

honestly i think that's a big part. Shanahan loves this team.
does he want to win? yes.
but the fact that this man who has 3 cups, a gold medal, a world championship, and a hall of fame career says this winning a cup here would mean more to him than any of that (and he said it off the cuff in an interview about something else, so it wasn't for the clickbait), screams a lot more true than Burke saying "Schools will be named after me.

Burke and a whole lot of people did it for the glory, and I think that's how they sell it to others. come to Toronto and be gods. Where as Shanahan (Dubas, et.al) sell it as, it's going to take work, and you'll be loved for it, and if you work had the winning will come and then everything else is gravy.

it's very exciting.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Outstanding article. Was great looking back like that and remembering how it was over the years. Hope you have a great vacation!

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Nicely done. Speaks volumes to the Shannyplan that a rookie President can get that go ahead from ownership to rebuild.

member 262271

Very well written and a great read! It still feels weird thinking back about how things were with the team.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
and honestly. i have had words about Burke. and seriously the amount of excuses he has blows my mind. Shanahan has had worse and he owns it.

seriously, i would give good money for someone to flat out ask Burke some hard questions. , and then coutner everything with 'but shanahan had it worse the first two years. so obviously you're full of poo."

I thought it was so strange that Burke was on SportsNet analyzing the amateur entry draft in June. Burke, who drafted so poorly, Burke who never witnessed any games outside of the NHL. His expertise? Your right, sports broadcasters/even journalists 99.9% of the time never ask tough questions. They are afraid of been shunned by other players/executives who would refuse to talk this tough talking rebel.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Very good read, Daisy, thank you. I especially liked "it's hard to fathom if they (insert the name of another President of the Leafs) would take on the work that Shanahan did to bring about the love and history of the team without being a slave to it.

(constructive criticism: take a bit more time with your final edit, there are a few errors that could be cleaned up)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad