WJC: Everything Canada (goaltending, coaching, future)

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
And to single one particular player out...Mark Scheifele honestly disgusted me with his diving and whining and looking back to the refs for calls after every little possible infraction. I don't care if you played in the NHL for a few games, sack up and keep playing.

I lost a lot of respect for him as a player over the course of this tournament.

He was one of the weakest player on his skates i've seen in some time. Not impressed.

Darth Handsome*

Yeah, something happened during that time period that made TSN's coverage almost unwatchable, but I certainly wouldn't say it was "under the radar" in '06, at least not in Canada. I think the over-saturation you're referring to maybe had something to do with the string of four tournaments held in Ottawa, Saskatoon/Regina, Buffalo (which was inundated with Canadian fans anyway), then Calgary/Edmonton. As someone who watched the WJs religiously from 1991 onwards, I think the WJHCs lost a lot of their charm when they started being held in Canadian (or essentially Canadian) cities every year, and fairly large ones at that. I had lived in the U.S. from 2007 to 2010 (and missed the 2008 to 2010 WJHCs) and when I came back I literally couldn't believe the hype and media coverage now surrounding the tournament.

Under the radar compared to what it is today.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Perhaps Spott didn't motivate the troops, perhaps the bye hurt us...any number of things could have happened. The Team Canada that beat Russia in pool play would have won the gold medal; I don't think anyone can dispute that. Sadly, we didn't get to see that team again.

Not necessarily. That team scored one ES goal against Russia and rode the PP all the way. That's also exactly what happened in the bronze game. The only difference was the goalies, plus Russia picked it up substantially.

-I wish Spott had have kept with Subban so I could say he stuck to his guns. Subban was the only Canadian that showed up to play in the semis vs the Americans, and he got hung out to dry.
Starting a cold Binnington against the Russians was a mistake. It was too late in the tournament for a goalie change. If you're going to go with Binnington, you should have went with him from the get-go.
It's common practice to play a #2 goalie in the bronze game. Happens all the time.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Perhaps Spott didn't motivate the troops, perhaps the bye hurt us...any number of things could have happened. The Team Canada that beat Russia in pool play would have won the gold medal; I don't think anyone can dispute that. Sadly, we didn't get to see that team again.

Not necessarily. That team scored one ES goal against Russia and rode the PP all the way. That's also exactly what happened in the bronze game. The only difference was the goalies, plus Russia picked it up substantially.

-I wish Spott had have kept with Subban so I could say he stuck to his guns. Subban was the only Canadian that showed up to play in the semis vs the Americans, and he got hung out to dry.
Starting a cold Binnington against the Russians was a mistake. It was too late in the tournament for a goalie change. If you're going to go with Binnington, you should have went with him from the get-go.
It's common practice to play a #2 goalie in the bronze game. Happens all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad