Everyone's worst nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
11:48 AM Wednesday: *Bettman and Goodenow come to an agreement over what figure will be used to cap the cap*

Friday: *Players vote on agreement reached between NHL and NHLPA*.
*Players vote in majority against proposed deal*.

*Players walk out of vote and say: we said "we will never accept a salary cap"*

:shakehead:

...you know it could happen...

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If that happens, public opinion will be almost *completely* against the PA. Losing the season will almost be totally blamed on the PA. I don't think that will happen.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Cropduster said:
wrong. they already said they would accept one. Worst PR move the PA could ever make. Wont happen

no. goodenow and the heads said they'll take a cap.

the 730 players who have to vote did not.

including bryan mccabe: "We willl sit out our whole careers if we have to. We will never accept a cap".

:lol:

TBLightningFan

Apr 20, 2004
Tampa
If the season is canceled they can forget about a 42.5 million deal... That number will drop.

Players: TAKE THE DEAL!

Lexicon Devil

Apr 21, 2002
The PA knows its players' views. They wouldn't have ever offered a cap unless they knew a solid majority would be okay with it.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
espion said:

including bryan mccabe: "We willl sit out our whole careers if we have to. We will never accept a cap".

True, but the 450+ players that do not make more than 800k a year will vote for it, majority wins, season goes on

If the 2 idiots come to an agreement that is

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
espion said:

ugh damn him.

but then there's Esche too

"We won't accept a 300 million dollar cap"

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
11:48 AM Wednesday: Bettman and Goodenow come to an agreement to move to Nova Scotia and get married.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
bhawk24bob said:
what happens if 8 owners go back to bettman and say 45 million is too high?

Nothing, he needs 8 to tell him it's NOT too high.

Colorado
Dallas
Detroit
St.Louis
NYR
Montreal
Philadelphia
Toronto

Deal done. I mean, it's not like the teams HAVE to go up to 45 millions... Montreal had a ~47 million payroll last year, if they go down a few millions (easy to do with the roll back) they won't lose money, and can stay competitive around 40-42 million

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
MasterD said:
Nothing, he needs 8 to tell him it's NOT too high.

Colorado
Dallas
Detroit
St.Louis
NYR
Montreal
Philadelphia
Toronto

Deal done. I mean, it's not like the teams HAVE to go up to 45 millions... Montreal had a ~47 million payroll last year, if they go down a few millions (easy to do with the roll back) they won't lose money, and can stay competitive around 40-42 million

It doesn't work that way. I believe the way it works, is if Bettman chooses not to sign a proposed deal, it only takes a vote of 8 teams to uphold that decision. 8 teams can stop deals from being signed, 8 teams cannot vote and accept deals. I believe than it goes to a straight up majority vote for the deal.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This will be even worse than if the PA never even offered a salary cap. To come this close and cancel the season? Surely these people jest, and if not, then they should be shot.

Donnie D

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jack Black said:
11:48 AM Wednesday: Bettman and Goodenow come to an agreement to move to Nova Scotia and get married.

Maybe that explains why their staffs were in Niagara Falls Monday, to locate a honeymoon cabin with a great view.

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
The worst case scenario is if they don't talk at all Tuesday night, Goodenow sleeps in on Wednesday and misses the deadline, the season is cancelled, and they don't start talking until September, which is of course when the PA decides they no longer will play for a cap.

Best case scenario? Despite all the stupid letters these morons have been sending back and forth, they have been secretly meeting all night hammering out this deal, the press conference scheduled for Wednesday morning is to announce the 8 year deal they have signed.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
kerrly said:
It doesn't work that way. I believe the way it works, is if Bettman chooses not to sign a proposed deal, it only takes a vote of 8 teams to uphold that decision. 8 teams can stop deals from being signed, 8 teams cannot vote and accept deals. I believe than it goes to a straight up majority vote for the deal.
No, he needs 23 votes to ratify the deal. I don't know why people are so stupid over this. The number 8 is irrelevant. The number you should be focusing on is 23. Nowhere did Bettman say I will need 8 owners to turn down a deal. The provision would say any ratification would require a vote with 23 of 30 owners in favor.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
espion said:
11:48 AM Wednesday: *Bettman and Goodenow come to an agreement over what figure will be used to cap the cap*

Friday: *Players vote on agreement reached between NHL and NHLPA*.
*Players vote in majority against proposed deal*.

*Players walk out of vote and say: we said "we will never accept a salary cap"*

:shakehead:

...you know it could happen...

This is actually one scenario I'm not at all worried about. That will never happen.

My nightmare is that they wont close the 6.5 million gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad