Blue Jays Discussion: Everyone's hurt, but some are starting to make returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
We're not actually counting last year's playoff appearance as a legitimate one, right?

They'd have a statue of JP Ricciardi in front of the Rogers Centre if eight teams made the playoffs every year...

It may not seem "legitimate" but it does count. The Jays are not in control of the playoff format. They play the games, and you can either qualify for the playoffs or not qualify for the playoffs and the Jays did in 2020.

Its not like 8 random teams got in. The 5 AL teams that made the playoffs in 2019 also made it in 2020 plus a 93 win Cleveland team and the 2 of 3 teams now favoured in the AL for 2021 in the Jays and Chicago. The Jays were and are in great company, they deserve credit for 2020. It is the reason why they made the off-season moves they did.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
The Jays had a negative run differential last year and led for exactly 0% of their very, very short time in the postseason.

If that's what caused them to be aggressive this offseason then maybe I was wrong about being happy with the extension.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
if we have a year to falter its this one. lots of 1 year contracts can probably get you a decent haul at the deadline. that being said its 6 games in. and no need to worry truly till the end of may . which we may see a large jumps in games back

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
The Jays had a negative run differential last year and led for exactly 0% of their very, very short time in the postseason.

Miami had a -41 run differential and made it too. Thats what a shortened season with expanded playoffs will do.

Does leading for a short period of time make it any better?
-Reds didnt score a run in the playoffs. Lost a combined 6-0.
-Milwakuee never led in both their series.
-The Indians led for 3 innings, lost both games
-Minny lead 1-0 in one game and lost both.
-Cubs led for 1 inning and lost both games.

Thats what a short series produces, lopsided results.

Dont know how this is relevant. Jays lost to their nemesis who eventually went to the WS. Did this all while the pitching behind Ryu was hurt for most of the season (Pearson, Shoemaker and Anderson) and the other 20% was garbage in Roark. Not to mention your closer being out for pretty much all the season. They Jays played better than most expected and were better than their record indicated when you consider the injuries.

If that's what caused them to be aggressive this offseason then maybe I was wrong about being happy with the extension.

Maybe.

I think its moreso the 60 games that got them into the playoffs they weighed more heavily than the 2 they played in the playoffs

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The thing that sucks is that 3-3, not great but coming back to a sold out Dome tomorrow would have been a completely different feeling around this team.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Miami had a -41 run differential and made it too. Thats what a shortened season with expanded playoffs will do.

Does leading for a short period of time make it any better?
-Reds didnt score a run in the playoffs. Lost a combined 6-0.
-Milwakuee never led in both their series.
-The Indians led for 3 innings, lost both games
-Minny lead 1-0 in one game and lost both.
-Cubs led for 1 inning and lost both games.

Thats what a short series produces, lopsided results.

Dont know how this is relevant. Jays lost to their nemesis who eventually went to the WS. Did this all while the pitching behind Ryu was hurt for most of the season (Pearson, Shoemaker and Anderson) and the other 20% was garbage in Roark. Not to mention your closer being out for pretty much all the season. They Jays played better than most expected and were better than their record indicated when you consider the injuries.

Maybe.

I think its moreso the 60 games that got them into the playoffs they weighed more heavily than the 2 they played in the playoffs

Maybe it's misinterpreting what you said, but I think the issue is that you seem to be suggesting they made the offseason moves they made because they made the playoffs, as if they wouldn't have made those moves following a 32-28 season if it was a normal playoff format.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I heard on the news that Springer won't be starting as soon as they thought because of tightness in his right quad after taking batting practice today.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Maybe it's misinterpreting what you said, but I think the issue is that you seem to be suggesting they made the offseason moves they made because they made the playoffs, as if they wouldn't have made those moves following a 32-28 season if it was a normal playoff format.

Is it hard to believe a team would be more aggressive in acquire better players after making the playoffs for the first time in 4 years when it coincides with their team on the rise in year 1 of their window?

Would they make the same moves if they won 20 games? I dont think anyone would think so, they may say the team is not ready and lets save our bullets for when they are. And if they tried, Springer and Semien arent signing with a 25th place team, especially Semien on a 1 year deal. He says he wants to win.

Making the playoffs and their improved play likely helped shape this FO's off-season plans and it definitely changed the outcome because is it was a factor as to why Springer and Semien signed here.

Im not saying the Jays would have done nothing. But if they won 26-28 games then i think the Jays are going after and landing lower tier free agents like JBJ, Wong, Didi, Simmons and/or say a Schwarber.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Is it hard to believe a team would be more aggressive in acquire better players after making the playoffs for the first time in 4 years when it coincides with their team on the rise in year 1 of their window?

Would they make the same moves if they won 20 games? I dont think anyone would think so, they may say the team is not ready and lets save our bullets for when they are. And if they tried, Springer and Semien arent signing with a 25th place team, especially Semien on a 1 year deal. He says he wants to win.

Making the playoffs and their improved play likely helped shape this FO's off-season plans and it definitely changed the outcome because is it was a factor as to why Springer and Semien signed here.

Im not saying the Jays would have done nothing. But if they won 26-28 games then i think the Jays are going after and landing lower tier free agents like JBJ, Wong, Didi, Simmons and/or say a Schwarber.

Yeah, but this completely ignores the point I (and I think theaub) was trying to make. No one's talking about what they would have done had they finished 25th or gone 26-34.

If last year was a normal playoff format and the Jays went 32-28 and missed the playoffs, do you think they would have added as aggressively this offseason?

Reactions: theaub

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Guys we are 6 games in and we are talking like the season is over already. We havent had Springer in lineup yet and hitters are always behind pitchers this early in season. The bats will come around and we will be just fine. Hernandez, Gurriel, Bichette and Biggio arent even hitting yet. Give it some time.

Our pitching aside from one Roark outing hasnt been all that bad. Remember we still have pitchers like Ray, Pearson and Hatch to join on the pitching side.

3-3 isnt the end of the world. We easily could have been 4-2 or 5-1 with some timely hitting.

Reactions: smitty10

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Any news on Springer's MRI?

If we tread water this month and then get back Springer, Ray and Pearson in early May, we're in decent shape I think...

Reactions: phillipmike

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
MLB plan would relocate Bisons to Trenton to start season | Baseball | buffalonews.com

With heavy construction underway at Sahlen Field in advance of another season of Toronto Blue Jays games in Buffalo, Major League Baseball is working on a plan to move the Bisons at least temporarily to Trenton, N.J.

Multiple sources in the sport have confirmed the move to The Buffalo News and an announcement could be imminent from MLB, the Blue Jays, and the Herd.

The Bisons' temporary home for the 2021 season would be the former Arm & Hammer Park that housed the Double-A Trenton Thunder since 1994. The 6,200-seat facility is currently unnamed. The Thunder were a New York Yankees affiliate since 2003 but the Yankees opted to move their Double-A franchise to Somerset, N.J., for this season and Trenton was left out of affiliated baseball in MLB's reorganization of the minors that took place last fall.

It's unclear how long the Bisons would stay in Trenton. They could be there for only a month or two or they could spend the entire season there and Triple-A baseball would thus not be held in Buffalo until April 2022, while the Blue Jays are playing games here for a second straight season.

Bisons officials had no comment when contacted Thursday.

The Triple-A club's uncertain situation is completely dependent on the Blue Jays getting approval from the Canadian government to play games in Rogers Centre. With Covid-19 cases on the rise and Ontario entering another lockdown this week, it's unlikely the Blue Jays will be approved anytime soon.

The Jays held their "home opener" Thursday night at TD Ballpark in Dunedin, Fla., against the Los Angeles Angels. They are scheduled to play all 22 of their April and May home games in their spring training stadium.

The Bisons, meanwhile, are scheduled to open the season May 4 with a home game against the Worcester Red Sox. The team has 12 home games in May (May 4-9 vs. Worcester and May 11-16 vs. Rochester), and all of them would be played in Trenton under the plan.

Things become more unclear as the calendar hits June. While the Bisons would remain in Trenton, heat and late afternoon rain make Dunedin a poor option for the Blue Jays to stay in Florida and they are expecting to come to Buffalo.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Nate Pearson much have loved his time in Vancouver with the Canadians in 2017 so much that Vancouver just signed Pearson for 3 years for 3.25 million. Can hardly fault him when the Jays were only going to pay him league minimum for the next 3 years :sarcasm:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Roark can't start again

I wouldn't care if they give him one more chance with a super short leash and someone stretched out and ready to go behind him, but he can't last much longer at this point. His last start was brutal... he could throw a good strike to save his life, so he fell behind everyone and responded by having to throw meatballs right down the middle. Ugh. He faced 15 batters and FIVE of them saw a 3-0 count.

Reactions: Lumberg

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004

maxresdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->