Blue Jays Discussion: Everyone's hurt, but some are starting to make returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
That really sucks. It's a shame his career has been derailed by so many injuries.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
5 year extension for Atkins.

I like this signing. Puts him and Shapiro both here for the next 5 years. Stability at the top with the same vision will make this organization successful. Congrats.

Now your first move is to jettison Roark to a foreign country for some bitcoin. This guy is horrible. I would rather see Zeuch, Thornton, Pearson and Hatch in rotation instead of this sorry excuse of a starting pitcher called Roark.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Definitely deserves to see this group through.

Yeah, for all the complaints about him (many of them justified due to some obvious missteps along the way) they've accomplished what they set out to do to this point. I would much rather see a multi-year extension that gives management the leeway to continue the way they want than something shorter term that could put them in a position to make a bunch of ill-advised short-term moves.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Yeah, for all the complaints about him (many of them justified due to some obvious missteps along the way) they've accomplished what they set out to do to this point. I would much rather see a multi-year extension that gives management the leeway to continue the way they want than something shorter term that could put them in a position to make a bunch of ill-advised short-term moves.

Agreed. This season will prove that Shatkins combo is moving in the right direction with another playoff berth. This will give them more money from ownership next off season to further compliment the team mostly in the rotation and the retaining of Semien.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
5 year extension for Atkins.

Solid. I'm still lukewarm to both he and Shapiro, but stability at the top is necessary. This allows them to follow and see through their vision which they have done a good job of putting into place. Nothing worse than ownership purging its management only a few years into a build, only to have new management come in and upheave what was done prior and essentially starting from scratch.

Exciting times for the Jays ahead. Here's hoping Shapiro continues to re-direct his focus to off-field priorities, particularly on a new stadium (highly doubtful) or at least retrofitting the SkyDome to make it a more pleasurable baseball experience.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Solid. I'm still lukewarm to both he and Shapiro, but stability at the top is necessary. This allows them to follow and see through their vision which they have done a good job of putting into place. Nothing worse than ownership purging its management only a few years into a build, only to have new management come in and upheave what was done prior and essentially starting from scratch.

Exciting times for the Jays ahead. Here's hoping Shapiro continues to re-direct his focus to off-field priorities, particularly on a new stadium (highly doubtful) or at least retrofitting the SkyDome to make it a more pleasurable baseball experience.

I believe you are on track with what Shapiro's role will be over the next 5 years. Now that Dunedin is complete, his next task will be correcting the Jays home field situation. He will act as a sounding board for Atkins and be asked to attend meetings with agents and prospective FA negotiations to help the cause.

But his main role will be the business side of the ball club which includes the baseball stadium.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

A new stadium would be a dream come true.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
A new stadium would be a dream come true.

Wont be too long before we start to hear something about this. It already started a couple of months ago and it was shelved due to pandemic and Dunedin project. It wasnt refuted at all just something that will be looked into in the coming year.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

This is why im happy we kept Grichuk. Injuries will happen, also Springer hasnt played more than 84 games at CF in any season, Grichuk will get a lot of time in CF, probably at least 80 games - likely more of he keeps hitting.

Plus 1 of my 3 wild predictions look like they will come true;

1: My hot take for the season is Grichuk is going to have a chip on his shoulder and end up being our 3rd best OF, one of Springer, Gurriel or Teoscar will have a down year and we will NEED Grichuk.

2: My 2nd hot take of the Spring: Prior to any trades, Roark proves his worth and provides value to the rotation where he is 3rd on the team in innings pitched and 4th in starting fWAR.

3: My 3rd and final (crazy) prediction: Jays will regret letting Yamaguchi go

Not that im not happy we got Springer, but this is why i wasnt crazy about him on a 6 year commitment. He has missed on average 32 games a year in his aged 25-29 seasons. That number will go up for his aged 31-36 seasons and he will play less and less CF. Happy we got him but we will have to address CF again in 2-3 years. Hopefully we see this and have Austin Martin develop as a CFer now or Dasan Brown develops.

Reactions: stickty111

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Couldnt agree more. Ownership finally smartened up and gave Shapiro and Atkins the extensions they deserve.

Ownership jumped the gun on Anthopoulos, they needed to give him more time. It took Dayton Moore 8-9 years to get his team to the playoffs and win a WS. If the Jays gave AA 8-9 years, we might have a WS. Its weird because they gave a guy like Riccardi 9 years, heck even Gord Ash got 7 but AA only got 6.

Shapiro and Atkins should get a lot of credit for building this team up. Best young core since Gillick with more on the way. Like it or not the Jays have made the playoffs 2 times in 5 years with a good chance to make it 3 in 6 this year. Mind you playoff format has changed but its still a fact;

Pat Gillick: 5 playoff appearances in 16 years (1994 doesnt count, though we would have missed)
Shapiro and Atkins: 2 playoff appearances in 5 years
Alex Anthopoulos: 1 playoff appearances in 7 years
Peter Bavasi: 0 playoff appearances in 1 year
Gord Ash: 0 playoff appearances in 7 years
JP Riccardi: 0 playoff appearances in 9 years

If this Jays team does what it should, they should make the playoffs at least 5-6 times in a 10 year period under Shapiro and Atkins - best in franchise history.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
We're not actually counting last year's playoff appearance as a legitimate one, right?

They'd have a statue of JP Ricciardi in front of the Rogers Centre if eight teams made the playoffs every year...

Yeah, that's a bit much. They seem to be doing a good job of putting together a team that can contend for several years, and they should still have plenty of room to continue adding pieces the next couple years; that's good enough for me at this point.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Glad Atkins was extended. Not perfect, but deserved it for helping rebuild the farm. He and Shapiro didn't always make it easy on themselves with their gobbledygook way of talking, but in truth they were given the keys to an aging roster, and weren't helped by the fact Rogers completely bungled the Shapiro hiring by going behind Beeston's back. In truth, there are old buddies of Beeston in the media who still haven't forgiven Shapiro and Atkins for it (even though they didn't do anything wrong) and it was reflected in how the team was covered. That's not an excuse for the handful of mistakes they've made, but they were magnified and rarely put in the larger context of what their goals were with the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad