Blue Jays Discussion: Everyone's hurt, but some are starting to make returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I think we'll be pleasantly surprised by Roark.

He had a good spring and I think he got messed up by the restart worse than everyone else.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Found it interesting that, with a 5-run lead, Montoyo let Matz go out for the 7th, watch him K the first batter he faced, and then pull him from the game.

deltamachine

Mar 30, 2013
I think we'll be pleasantly surprised by Roark.

He had a good spring and I think he got messed up by the restart worse than everyone else.

Am hoping you're right, but all the same, Roark and Dolis can be jettisoned into the sun.

deltamachine

Mar 30, 2013
Dolis had a 1.50 ERA out of the pen last year (with still-good but less impressive peripherals). I can't imagine wanting him off the team because he had a rough first outing.

I just always feel nervous when he takes the mound, like you have to spot him 2-3 runs just in case, cuz he always seems to put runners on. I remember Duane Ward was like that, he had good stuff but very erratic and then all of a sudden he became a beast.

Reactions: Discoverer

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Dolis had a 1.50 ERA out of the pen last year (with still-good but less impressive peripherals). I can't imagine wanting him off the team because he had a rough first outing.
And it's not like we are being forced to use in him in high leverage situations right now. He has nasty stuff and it's basically just him having to get his splitter dialed in. So you let him work the light spots while still having Romano and Merryweather for the high leverage innings and when(if) Dollis does get the command of his splitter back all of a sudden the pen is even scarier.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
So can I get a good reason why Tanner Roark is pitching today?

Ryu is fully rested because of the off day and by the time we get around to Roark's spot in the rotation again, Robbie Ray is projected to be back from the DL. If he's not then worst case scenario, you're running with Roark on 10 days rest.

Reactions: Auston 316

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Ryu is fully rested because of the off day and by the time we get around to Roark's spot in the rotation again, Robbie Ray is projected to be back from the DL. If he's not then worst case scenario, you're running with Roark on 10 days rest.

I think they're hesitant to ramp pitchers up to 100% that quickly. I wouldn't even be surprised if they go with a 6-man rotation once Ray is ready, just slotting him in instead of having him replace someone.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

My guess is he's considered the #5 right now but it made no sense using a non-Ryu lefty or flyball happy Roark against the Yankees in that Stadium.

Not agreeing with it, just think its probably how its gonna be.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

I guess you could use Ryu today but he’s the only one who had the extra rest. The off day came before Stripling, Zeuch, or Matz starts so Roark would have to pitch tomorrow regardless. That combined with the fact that Ryu prefers the extra day of rest and pitches better with it it makes sense to let him have it since you have to use Roark in the next 2 games anyway

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
It's hard to believe that Merryweather had Tommy John surgery, he's the new Tom Henke.

Remember when everyone trashed Atkins for the Donaldson trade and what we got back.

3 years later, we sign an expensive closer who gets lost for season. And who else explodes onto the scene??? MR. MERRYWEATHER. The not so good over aged prospect acquired for Donaldson.

I guess this should teach us all to trust the process and management. Heck, thats why they are experienced baseball people with actual jobs in the industry, and we are just posters in a forum!

Reactions: hoglund

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Odor to the Yanks hahaha

Yankees loading up on Jays shithousers. Alcides Escobar is a free agent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad