OT: Everybody needs a little like in their life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
Continue.

The old thread reached a 1000 likes limit. If you're wondering how's that possible, simple. We use special formula to calculate number of likes, and it goes as follows:

l = total number of likes = m + n

m = number of likes of everyone not named Lord Flashheart
n = Lord Flashheart's number of likes = n × k
k = Lord Flashheart's number of likes coefficient = (1000-m)/n

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthYenik

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Continue.

The old thread reached a 1000 likes limit. If you're wondering how's that possible, simple. We use special formula to calculate number of likes, and it goes as follows:

l = total number of likes = m + n

m = number of likes of everyone not named Lord Flassheart
n = Lord Flashheart's number of likes = n × k
k = Lord Flashheart's number of likes coefficient = (1000-m)/n
I use that exact same formula to dispute that Cam Fowler is a top four defenseman.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
tenor.gif

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Wednesday Report: new format still sucks.

Yeah this. For starters, my password didn't work when the site changed. On top of that, I've been a member so longer that the email I used to set it up was one I haven't used in over 10 years.

I don't like the "like" thing, although I still do it.

The mobile version is completely garbage too.

Why did they get rid of the forum jump? I also don't like not being able to see what page the thread is on without hovering over it.

Last thing: Why the need for the avatar by thread starter? As if we didn't already have enough with people getting off about being first to post things.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I'm still trying to figure out what was "improved" from the old format. I'm all for progress and improvement, but change for change's sake, no thanks.

clearly they were going for a more modern/trendy look. I don't like it. The "likes" system just encourages snarky, sarcastic comments even more to someone who gets off at getting likes. I'm all for improvement, but like you said, there doesn't seem to be much, if any, improvement. Just seems like they are trying to appeal that generation who get off by getting attention. Maybe I'm just old.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I'm still trying to figure out what was "improved" from the old format. I'm all for progress and improvement, but change for change's sake, no thanks.

To be fair, there are a lot of things behind the scenes that may go unnoticed. Moderator tools, administration tools, traffic loads, and hardware demands. None of these things could be apparent to us, at least at this point, but all could have improved.

I'm a little out of touch with what is going on behind the scenes these days, so I have no idea if any of this is the case, but I don't think Buffaloed would have made the change without feeling it would be an improvement. We just may not be on the side of things that improved.

There could also be a lot of future positive changes for our benefit, that the new software makes possible, that may take some time to implement properly. I'm sure it's a work in progress. There was a lot of work put into this, so I don't think it's change for the sake of change.

Last edited:

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

So far, I've discovered that there are some fancy new features in the new HFBoards. For example, there are a ton of new media embed functions, plus the BBCode seems to have gotten an update towards a more user friendly direction. The biggest improvement has to be the new table creation, which was the most tedious thing in the old HFBoards IMO:

This​
Table​
Was​
Made​
In​
30 Seconds​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I do understand the criticism towards the visual aspects and the like system and whatnot, but the change wasn't all bad IMO.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
To be fair, there are a lot of things behind the scenes that may go unnoticed. Moderator tools, administration tools, traffic loads, and hardware demands. None of these things could be apparent to us, at least at this point, but all could have improved.

I'm a little out of touch with what is going on behind the scenes these days, so I have no idea if any of this is the case, but I don't think Buffaloed would have made the change without feeling it would be an improvement. We just may not be on the side of things that improved.

There could also be a lot of future positive changes for our benefit, that the new software makes possible, that may take some time to implement properly. I'm sure it's a work in progress. There was a lot of work put into this, so I don't think it's change for the sake of change.

No forum exists without users. While I respect the potential issues you speculated on, changes shouldn't be made to a site this big without first understanding the impact to the users. And even if the decision is to move forward with the changes, you should alert the users to things that will affect them and how to deal with transitioning. I may have missed it but I've seen nothing explaining any of the user impacted changes. I contacted "support" asking if something existed explaining any of the changes (like a basic FAQ) and have received no response. (I know, they're busy.)

Let me be clear that in no way do I put any of this on the mods. I fully understand they had nothing to do with these decisions and implementation plans. But there are others whose job it was/is to know better than to handle it as poorly as they have.

Now, all that aside, I heard you mention that you were no longer a mod. Did I miss the announcement and retirement party? :wally::GWC:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->