Every other lottery team last year is in the playoffs

pSlayer*

THe problems stem from our size up front, and our crappy defensemen. We need to address those needs to see success. We have enough skill, just go out and sign some grit

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Thank goodness Toronto has provided us with another 3 year cushion of wandering the wilderness.

I doubt we will go 10 years without a playoff appearance.

Oilers make it next year if Nugent Hopkins bounces back IMO.

I think having a more normalized schedule where we're not playing as many 4 game in 6 night type deals and actually get to play the Eastern conference once in a while will help as well.

I know people make a big fuss about "young legs", but I think in some ways a condensed schedule plays better to more physically developed veterans than a group of kids who are all still growing physically.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
Check out the blue line. Smid and Petry as the top pairing?? Uhhhh.....

The Brier didn't exactly help matters either.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
The Nuge struggling (offensively only) might be the best to happen to us. He needs to get bigger and stronger. But things came to him so easily last year that he might have not worked as hard as he should. I remember someone saying long ago (can't remember who though) that the sophomore slump happens because young guys forget the work and determination it takes to succeed in the league. That coming back the same isnt good enough because everyone around you comes back better so you need to work just as hard, if not harder.

They said especially when you have success as a rookie, resting on your laurels and believing you can succeed just on talent occurs (and thus the sophomore slump/jinx).

So I am looking at this as a positive for the Nuge

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
200px-NHL_Eastern_Conference.svg.png

so weak the Panthers can win a division title.

And there's not a chance in hell the NHL allows the JAckets to make the playoffs at Detroit's expense.

Sloth Slothersons*

Well if every other team jumped off a bridge would we?

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
200px-NHL_Eastern_Conference.svg.png

so weak the Panthers can win a division title.

And there's not a chance in hell the NHL allows the JAckets to make the playoffs at Detroit's expense.

I actually think that the Oilers would be in the playoffs if they were in the EC. It's not easier or anything, but just a way different style that suits the Oilers well. The WC has tough, defensive hockey which seems to stifle the Oilers.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Defense is the ................????

Calgary's re-build will put a lot of pressure on Lowe and MacT. If Feaster can get it done faster and better, look out.

Calgary right now has a better defense than Edmonton..........a good defense always beats a good offense. Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, NYI all have a better defense.

Only positive is that Mac T is (was) a defense first coach.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
2011-2012 Draft Lottery

Toronto NE 82 35 37 10 80 (5th in East)
NY Islanders ATL 82 34 37 11 79(6th East)
Montréal NE 82 31 35 16 78 (2nd in East)
Edmonton NW 82 32 40 10 74

Columbus CEN 82 29 46 7 65 (8th in West)

Interesting we are the only team here not in the playoffs. I think it goes with saying that Tambellini will go down as the worst GM of all time. I can't see any debate for the at least the cap era. I also think this played a major role in firing our beloved draft picker.

So what did these four teams do that we couldn't do? This team has struggled to make big points gaps and yet every other team here has done just that. This is of course without the benefit of drafting the best player year after year after year.

Yeah, but the GM's of those other teams were actually trying to win...

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well by default there's also several teams that were NOT lotto teams last year that ARE this year... so I don't know what that says... except maybe **** floats up and it sinks as well. :)

Sloth Slothersons*

I actually think that the Oilers would be in the playoffs if they were in the EC. It's not easier or anything, but just a way different style that suits the Oilers well. The WC has tough, defensive hockey which seems to stifle the Oilers.

I doubt it, we're pretty bad...

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Calgary right now has a better defense than Edmonton..........a good defense always beats a good offense. Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, NYI all have a better defense.

Only positive is that Mac T is (was) a defense first coach.

Calgary has given up 27 more goals than we have...

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Oilers are 21st in Goals per game and 20th in goals against per game... and 26th in shots for and 29th in shots against so at least they are pretty balanced in terms of defensive/offensive mediocrity. :)

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
We are doing fine, do you want to be a flash in the pan? I would like to see us get a second line centre this draft, next year I am looking for the playoffs. Right on course as far as Im concerened.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Are you also implying their offense is better than ours?

If the metric is actual goals scored (versus say, imaginary ones), it is this year.

If you combined Calgary's GF with Edmonton's GA, you'd probably have a playoff team, lol.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
I'm not attempting to make excuses, but comparing the Oilers to Eastern teams is essentially comparing teams in different leagues. I would liken it to comparing a team in the English Premier league to a team in the Spanish football league. Sure there are comparables, but they play against completely different competition.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Are you also implying their offense is better than ours?

Their offence isn't, but one thing Calgary has is some balance to their lineup. Actually pretty much every team aside from the Oilers has that, and that's a major reason why we continue to fail. We're one-dimensional. Teams expect offence from us, so they play us appropriately. If we have a team that was balanced and could beat teams in different ways, we would win a lot more games.

Grinders that can score are so valuable to us right now. We need guys that can just crash and jam pucks at the net, just play hard when our top line can't get it done.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Their offence isn't, but one thing Calgary has is some balance to their lineup. Actually pretty much every team aside from the Oilers has that, and that's a major reason why we continue to fail. We're one-dimensional. Teams expect offence from us, so they play us appropriately. If we have a team that was balanced and could beat teams in different ways, we would win a lot more games.

Grinders that can score are so valuable to us right now. We need guys that can just crash and jam pucks at the net, just play hard when our top line can't get it done.

Subpar teams having balance means nothing because it's usually the wrong balance. That's why their losing.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
God I hope so. I've supported Lowe for a long time. The whole Mact hiring though pushed me over the edge. He clearly cared more about giving his buddy a job than doing what was best for this team. I can't support that.
That is what pushed you into the "I'm gonna cry because Lowe cares more about his season ticket holders than me" camp?

How about we give MacT more than five minutes on the job before we start saying it was a terrible hire.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
That is what pushed you into the "I'm gonna cry because Lowe cares more about his season ticket holders than me" camp?

How about we give MacT more than five minutes on the job before we start saying it was a terrible hire.

What the heck are you talking about? Where did I say anything about that season ticket holder thing?

I don't know if you realize this but we've already had MacT for 8 years. He wasn't anything special, so I have no idea how that warrants a job be has no experience in.

Anyways back on topic. leafs locked their spot, so Edmonton will become the reigning champ for playoff drought.

Gamefreak

Bee.
Sep 7, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Though it's an interesting statistic, I would chalk this up to an anomaly possibly brought about by the lockout-shortened season, as opposed to a damning indictment of the Oilers' failure.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->