Every other lottery team last year is in the playoffs

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
2011-2012 Draft Lottery

Toronto NE 82 35 37 10 80 (5th in East)
NY Islanders ATL 82 34 37 11 79(6th East)
Montréal NE 82 31 35 16 78 (2nd in East)
Edmonton NW 82 32 40 10 74

Columbus CEN 82 29 46 7 65 (8th in West)

Interesting we are the only team here not in the playoffs. I think it goes with saying that Tambellini will go down as the worst GM of all time. I can't see any debate for the at least the cap era. I also think this played a major role in firing our beloved draft picker.

So what did these four teams do that we couldn't do? This team has struggled to make big points gaps and yet every other team here has done just that. This is of course without the benefit of drafting the best player year after year after year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's tough but what can you do. Nugent Hopkins had a really bad year, and I think more than anything that sank our playoff chances.

You can't make the playoffs if your no.1 C is going through growing pains like that.

In retrospect I think they should've signed Jagr for a one year deal (slightly higher dollars than Dallas who cares ... we weren't up against the cap and its Katz' money).

He still can play and would've given us a cycle presence and taken the offensive pressure off of Eberle/RNH so much.

Hemsky Horcoff Jagr
Hall RNH Eberle
MPS Gagner Yakupov
Smyth Smithson Petrell

Probably would've gotten us into the playoffs I think.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
D68DNxP.gif

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
check out our backend..

While it's not great, our D (or even goaltending) actually hasn't been that bad. We have a lower GA than the Leafs or Islanders.

RNH having a big drop off in production is probably the biggest single reason we're not in.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
it takes time figure it out

Thats the point of this thread. These 4 teams made adjustments and have catapulted out of the Lottery and into the playoffs. While this team seems destined for its 4th straight lottery pick(I'm aware of the new rules just saying).

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
:laugh:

Not sure if your defending or attacking Kevin Lowe here.

I don't see how that could possibly seen as defending.

I seriously feel that the media is going to annihilate Mac-T and Kevin Lowe if we don't get into the playoffs next year. I don't want to wait another year, but I'm not the owner of the Oilers.

The media is already skeptical at best when it comes to what Kevin Lowe has done with the Oilers.

I honestly can't imagine what it would be like if Kevin Lowe was gone.
I'm certain Mac-T would be gone.
I'm pretty sure Kelly-B would be gone.
Kruger might be given another chance.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
I don't see how that could possibly seen as defending.

I seriously feel that the media is going to annihilate Mac-T and Kevin Lowe if we don't get into the playoffs next year. I don't want to wait another year, but I'm not the owner of the Oilers.

The media is already skeptical at best when it comes to what Kevin Lowe has done with the Oilers.

I honestly can't imagine what it would be like if Kevin Lowe was gone.
I'm certain Mac-T would be gone.
I'm pretty sure Kelly-B would be gone.
Kruger might be given another chance.

God I hope so. I've supported Lowe for a long time. The whole Mact hiring though pushed me over the edge. He clearly cared more about giving his buddy a job than doing what was best for this team. I can't support that.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Back end licks donkey ballz. Too many passengers. Calgary today would smoke us IMO with the team they are icing.

This team does not have enough compete and effort. Need bigger guys who can actually play every night as well.

Slatsmsg

Jul 14, 2011
Airdrie
While it's not great, our D (or even goaltending) actually hasn't been that bad.

RNH having a big drop off in production is probably the biggest single reason we're not in.

I don't feel this falls on RNH. Tough season with the shoulder injury I believe he is carrying for sure.

Besides ST, Krueger is a rookie Head Coach in the NHL and it shows. It's his job, and his staff, to help instill the mental toughness this team lacks. The culture has to be that losing is unacceptable instead of telling the team and fans "we had a good 40 minutes, it's a tough loss but at least we learnt something from it". Quit sugar coating crappy efforts, don't allow the team to accept losses. When a guy plays like crap, sit him.

We need to get physically tougher but we also need to get mentally tougher.

Back end needs help....

Lots of reasons this went sideways, I certainly don't think Nuge was the biggest of them.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't feel this falls on RNH. Tough season with the shoulder injury I believe he is carrying for sure.

Besides ST, Krueger is a rookie Head Coach in the NHL and it shows. It's his job, and his staff, to help instill the mental toughness this team lacks. The culture has to be that losing is unacceptable instead of telling the team and fans "we had a good 40 minutes, it's a tough loss but at least we learnt something from it". Quit sugar coating crappy efforts, don't allow the team to accept losses. When a guy plays like crap, sit him.

We need to get physically tougher but we also need to get mentally tougher.

Back end needs help....

Lots of reasons this went sideways, I certainly don't think Nuge was the biggest of them.

You're not getting into the playoffs when your no.1 center has a pro rated goal pace of 8 goals for an 82-game season.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Maybe Katz can convince the other western conference GMs to let Lowe hire their GMs for them too.

That way there will be some parity between the Oilers and the rest of the teams, and they can finally have a shot at making the playoffs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
those other teams haven't discovered the magic of a 5-7 year re-build.

Toronto - 10 years of no playoffs

Islanders - 5 years of no playoffs

Columbus - 4 or 5 years of no playoffs

Montreal is the only one with a fast turn around and really they had no business being that bad last year anyway.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton

Montreal is the only one with a fast turn around and really they had no business being that bad last year anyway.

Those teams didn't make the playoffs for a while. However, those teams were still in the bottom 5 as of last year. The jumps that all of these teams did are exactly what a lot of analysts said that this team would do.

Its guys like Rob Brown that drive me crazy. The ol' what did you expect its a young team schtick. We know we have some young guys what is the excuse for the other 15 players on the ice? If this was expected then why was Tambellini fired?

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant

Thank goodness Toronto has provided us with another 3 year cushion of wandering the wilderness.

I doubt we will go 10 years without a playoff appearance.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
Thank goodness Toronto has provided us with another 3 year cushion of wandering the wilderness.

I doubt we will go 10 years without a playoff appearance.

I predict 9 seasons without playoffs where we finally fail up to the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->