Everett or Seattle?

PeteNJ

Sep 27, 2004
So, I will be moving to Seattle in the near future and need help deciding which team to root for. I will be living in the city so they are roughly the same distance away.

Which team is better run? Has more/better fans? Has a better online community?

Thanks!

Emerald City Bruin

I-90 W for 2500mi
Aug 3, 2004
Seattle,WA
So, I will be moving to Seattle in the near future and need help deciding which team to root for. I will be living in the city so they are roughly the same distance away.

Thanks!

Super-biased but I'll still say the Thunderbirds.

Seattle pros:
Better alumni
$2 Tuesdays
Free parking
Better NHL draft prospects

Seattle cons:
Smaller rink
Not as easy to get to with public transportation
Less visible in the community

Everett pros:
Better beer, food and souvenir options
Louder fans
Easier rink to get to by public transport
More ticket pricing options

Everett cons:
Louder fans (haven't quite mastered the game yet so loud but not always knowledgable)
Neigborhood amenities not as good
Seats arent as comfortable

It kind of boils down to what kind of person you are. I feel Everett is more blue-collar while Seattle is more white-collar.

Seattle plays a bit more up-tempo and physical. Everett is at least consistent and has made the playoffs in every year of existence.

There aren't a lot of online communities for either team. Everett has a beat writer for them that writes a blog and does live chats sometimes:
http://heraldnet.com/section/BLOG12

They also have a board on the network 54 board that is somewhat active:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/285837/

Seattle has no less than 4 blogs about them (disclosure: I am responsible for one of them)
http://mynorthwest.com/category/thunderbirds/
http://thombeuningsinthecorners.blogspot.com/
http://www.letsgobirds.com/
http://www.tbirdtidbits.com/

Feel free to PM for more details. I don't have time at this minute to get more in-depth (training camp and all!)

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
When I lived in Kent I went to more Everett games before the T-birds moved out of the abortion known as Key Arena--in spite of the 30 minute drive. After Seattle moved into Showare (and there was much rejoycing...yay.), I went to more games there, but within a couple of months I had to move back to Portland.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with backing either. WHL teams tend to ebb and flow so even at some point both Everett and Seattle are going to be awesome and at some point both will suck (not necessarily at the same time). ECB pretty much has both arenas in a nutshell.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I also live in Seattle (northgate area) but take in both teams regularly.

I overall prefer Everett but it's mostly due to access. T-birds have b

Everett pro:
Easy access from I5
Better arena & atmosphere
More recent success
Lots of parking (street & lot)
A few bars nearby but limited at edge of urban city center

Everett con:
No real rivals since team is "new"
mostly pay parking pending time & location (free isn't very far)
stupid Cowbells.
Seattle media doesn't acknowledge them (only Everett media)

Seattle pro:
$2 Tuesday: $12 tickets, $2 beer, pop & hot dogs even for playoffs
More likely to be better team this year & next
Kent Station nearby with Ram and other restaurants
Seattle-Portland rivalry games
Allow groups to play game in arena before WHL game and go to game at discount rate
Will get highlights and mentions on local tv & radio sports shows/segments (Fox & NBC affiliates for sure)

Seattle con:
In *** Kent. Not simple to get to from I5 or 167.

*I haven't taken public transit to either but from Seattle to X would be okay but getting home may be problematic from either location.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I also live in Seattle (northgate area) but take in both teams regularly.

I overall prefer Everett but it's mostly due to access. T-birds have b

Everett pro:
Easy access from I5
Better arena & atmosphere
More recent success
Lots of parking (street & lot)
A few bars nearby but limited at edge of urban city center

Everett con:
No real rivals since team is "new"
mostly pay parking pending time & location (free isn't very far)
stupid Cowbells.
Seattle media doesn't acknowledge them (only Everett media)

Seattle pro:
$2 Tuesday: $12 tickets, $2 beer, pop & hot dogs even for playoffs
More likely to be better team this year & next
Kent Station nearby with Ram and other restaurants
Seattle-Portland rivalry games
Allow groups to play game in arena before WHL game and go to game at discount rate
Will get highlights and mentions on local tv & radio sports shows/segments (Fox & NBC affiliates for sure)

Seattle con:
In *** Kent. Not simple to get to from I5 or 167.

*I haven't taken public transit to either but from Seattle to X would be okay but getting home may be problematic from either location.

You've just describe the entire WHL there :D. Seattle has them, Portlan has them, Everett has them, Tri cities has them, and I bet my friends who regularly see games in Spokompton...err...Spokane have them :)

If I still lived in the Seattle Area, I would take having to travel from Northgate to Kent over seeing them in Key arena any day of the week.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

Thanks!

I think the Tbirds have an older following due to the fact they have been around much longer.

Silvertips have done better in recent years, but both have been pretty good the last couple of years.

There isn't really that big of an online community, I do notice there are several Tbirds blogs.

Mass Transit options I feel are better for Tbirds (They are right next to a major transit center).

I'm being biased but I like the Tbird's logo/jersey better.

You can't beat the Seattle vs Portland games.

Last edited:

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Maple Leaf (Seattle) resident here, haven't been to a T-Birds game since they left the Key. Much easier to drive to Everett than the sticks of Renton with away less traffic and much faster commute.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad