Ever find sometimes hard to lift a slapper?

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
Sounds stupid... but my wrister and release is good, as my backhand... even the snap

but somedays when warming up, I just can't lift the slapper

Often what I gotta remeber is to ensure that I finish high and to release my wrist and point to the direction like when releasing a wrister.

do you guys ever have the same problem once in a while?

Briere Up There*

I constantly have problems with my shot, but lifting a slap shot is never one of my concerns. One, I hardly use them, two, just open the blade.

BadHammy*

Work more on coming down thru the puck and finishing with your shoulders pointing up.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Where do you shoot from? Some guys set up the slapper with their puck near the back foot, which will result in a low shot. Setting it up near the front foot will make it much easier to get your slapper up.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I always find myself having an issue with over thinking it. It's just like when I try to outdangle someone and I can't get past one person. The brain needs to be in autopilot and making near instant decisions. Thinking about your shot's technique is just too time consuming and distracts you from the shot itself I find. Obviously it needs to be worked on, but I find the best thing to do is just step away from it, have a drink of water and do it again without any thoughts put into it.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I find that if I drop my left shoulder a little more (lefty shot here) I can lift the puck up higher.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
I always find myself having an issue with over thinking it. It's just like when I try to outdangle someone and I can't get past one person. The brain needs to be in autopilot and making near instant decisions. Thinking about your shot's technique is just too time consuming and distracts you from the shot itself I find. Obviously it needs to be worked on, but I find the best thing to do is just step away from it, have a drink of water and do it again without any thoughts put into it.
I think this is it and tell people it all the time...anyone who golfs knows this concept very well

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
The fact is, that with sports it's important to practice until the point where you can do something well without thinking about it. It's all muscle memory. You can't get good overnight and you won't be good if you have to think about what you're doing. Your mind should be on anticipating plays and things of that nature, not on how you're shooting, passing, stickhandling, etc. Those things should just happen.

When you practice with each shot you take, you should think about what a proper shot looks like and coach yourself to figure out what you're doing improperly. What do you do that makes the shot go where you want it go or how hard, if you got it right, what did you do that time that you're not doing this time? Self-coaching is a lot harder than when someone coaches you (a luxury that adult league players don't have), but it's still very important.

BadHammy*

Key tip, make sure you look up as you drive thru the puck. It'll go where you look with proper technique.

Czar

Apr 1, 2011
I've played hockey my entire life and still have trouble with getting them up. It's all about upper-body strength, and since I was a small guy and late bloomer, I never had any. Now that I'm bulking up a bit, I find it a lot easier to get under the puck and let one loose. Make sure to follow through like everyone else has said, that's key!

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
my buddy took a look at my shot and he said the technicque was fine, if I were trying to keep it low through traffic from the point.

My slappers do lift, but usually not much more than a 5-10 inches off the ground, hard

However he did state you gotta remeber to finish kinda like a wrister, where there is a bit of an element of release and just remember that you aren't just driving the stick into the ice, but also pulling up on it right after, with that same hand, to push it to the height you want it to release to.

Tried that, and it worked... so simple lol

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I've had problems with the slap shot for years. It's all about the follow through, and building some upper body strength never hurts either.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I do think the position of the puck makes a difference though. I notice that if the puck is further behind me, it tends to stay lower than if it's closer to my front foot.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Sounds stupid... but my wrister and release is good, as my backhand... even the snap

but somedays when warming up, I just can't lift the slapper

Often what I gotta remeber is to ensure that I finish high and to release my wrist and point to the direction like when releasing a wrister.

do you guys ever have the same problem once in a while?

I can't do much of anything good when I'm warming up. It takes awhile to get my muscles loosened up and in "hockey mode." Don't judge you're ability when you're cold.

Also, I think you may just be over thinking it. Don't try and hit the puck hard as possible, instead focus on getting good solid contact. And if you're using a composite stick aim for the ice/court just in front of the puck, as opposed to the puck itself. This will help the stick wind up a bit before it makes contact with the puck.

LA Kings Hockey

May 22, 2011
LA
to keep it low- bring the puck slightly behind your front foot
to put it up top- bring the puck slightly infront of your front foot

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I don't know but it seems like I have a grip problem. Sometimes I can get off a decent slapshot, but usually I find it's my lower left hand (shoot left) slips when my stick hits the ice after the wind up. I don't mean it slides up/down the shaft but rather the stick rotates in my hand to the path of least resistance and power is lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad