News Article: Even teammates need to keep their heads up around Sabres prospect J.T. Compher

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/e...-heads-up-around-sabres-prospect-j-t-compher/

He is both a secret weapon and the most obvious one at Team USA’s disposal this year. University of Michigan sophomore J.T. Compher could very well have been a difference-maker for the Americans last year in Malmo, but the gritty and talented center broke his foot while blocking a shot during practice with the national squad a week before the world junior tournament.

“He’ll bring what J.T. brings to a team every night – he brings a work ethic, he’ll do whatever you tell him to do,” said legendary Michigan coach Red Berenson. “Whatever role you put him in, he’s going to do a good job at it. He’s going to add a compete level that very few players on his team will have, and he’ll bring leadership and a responsible attitude to the team.”

A second-round selection of the Buffalo Sabres in 2013, Compher has quickly become an indispensable player for the Wolverines, who have uncharacteristically struggled the past couple of seasons. Part of that is because of players leaving early for the pros and other recruits failing to live up to expectations, but that’s not the case with the rugged Compher.

He led the team in scoring as a freshman with 31 points in 35 games, and though he’s off to a slightly slower start offensively this year, he has always been a player who is more than just the sum of his points.

Freshman center Dylan Larkin, the Detroit Red Wings first-rounder in 2014, played with Compher at the U.S. National Team Development Program and now slots behind him on Michigan’s depth chart.
“Even going back to when I was 17 and he was 18, just watching how hard he worked and how he plays the game was great,” Larkin said. “Now I get to play against him in practice. He’s a great role model.”

Compher, who has an agitating streak and regularly finishes his checks with authority, doesn’t really seem like the type of player you would want to face in practice, though.

“Yeah, you’ve got to keep your head up sometimes,” Larkin said. “But he cares about his teammates.”

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Because of work, I've only seen him a couple times, so anything I say about Compher needs to be with a grain of salt.

Drury 2.0?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Because of work, I've only seen him a couple times, so anything I say about Compher needs to be with a grain of salt.

Drury 2.0?

Not sure he has the offensive chops but I do think his defensive game and work ethic matches up.

EDIT: for comparison sake their two post draft seasons

Drury
94-95 -----> 39gms 12g 15a 27pts
95-96 -----> 37gms 35g 32a 67pts

Compher
13-14 -----> 35gms 11g 20a 31pts
14-15 -----> 15gms 3g 8a 11pts ( so far)

Similar 1st years but Compher hasn't upped his production this year like Drury did his 2nd year.

EDIT#2: not sure how much offense their was back then in college hockey compared to now. So not sure if the comparison works 1 for 1.

Last edited:

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
I don't think he's on the same level but the style of play reminds me of Girgs.

Girgs-lite

I think that's a very good comparison. A complete PITA to play against with great defense, but more likely than not a 2nd/3rd line tweener because of limited offense.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Not sure he has the offensive chops but I do think his defensive game and work ethic matches up.

This is mostly what I was thinking. Not a completely neat comparison. I think Compher is more chippy than Drury ever was. Maybe Compher develops better offensively than he has too date.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
I've said it before, but he reminds me of a slightly more physical Pavelski. Absolutely love the way the kid plays.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca

EDIT: for comparison sake their two post draft seasons

Drury
94-95 -----> 39gms 12g 15a 27pts
95-96 -----> 37gms 35g 32a 67pts

Compher
13-14 -----> 35gms 11g 20a 31pts
14-15 -----> 15gms 3g 8a 11pts ( so far)

Similar 1st years but Compher hasn't upped his production this year like Drury did his 2nd year.

EDIT#2: not sure how much offense their was back then in college hockey compared to now. So not sure if the comparison works 1 for 1.

I can't necessarily compare college scoring between then and now, but Compher's 31 pts. lead his team. Drury's 67 pts. was tied for first on BU with Jay Pandolfo. Whether scoring is down all over NCAA hockey or Michigan's team isn't as strong as BU's was, I think it is hard to compare.

Compher led his team in scoring as a true freshman on top of being a "do-it-all" type of player. Its hard to predict what he will become, but I think we can say confidently that we would be happy with anything from Ott to Peca to Girgensons to Drury.

I feel like Compher and McCabe are very underrated due to the Sabres bevy of 1st rounders. I think they will be major contributors and leaders to deep playoff runs in the Sabres future.

Russ Tyler

Jul 9, 2011
HSBC Arena
Ideally he pans out to a Drury-lite #3C, but even if his O doesn't pan out he could be a solid 4th line/PKer. Block all the shots.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
A rich man's Bryan Flynn. A nastier and grittier version.

Almost the same thing as a drury lite. I like it either way. He's had a sub-par year from what I've heard (haven't seen him much). But I loved what I saw from him last year. Love the way he plays.

Last edited:

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Almost the same thing as a drury lite. I love it either way. He's had a sub-par year from what I've heard (haven't seen him much). But I loved what I saw from him last year. Love the way he plays.

Larkin is getting a lot of minutes in key situations that are eating into his numbers some (mostly PP), at least from what I've seen/heard.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I thought he was compared more to Ryan Callahan. Either way this team and prospects ooze leadership and possibly have 3 or 4 possible future captains.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad