Evander Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I would rather have none of them and use the cap space to extend Hertl and Ferraro along with having the flexibility to acquire younger talent that might become available.
If there was no off-ice shenanigans I wouldn’t but obviously with all this I agree.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
With zero real data to base this on, without Kane I would predict this current team is a bottom 10 team, likely finishing in the 6-10 range. (Basically, a repeat of this last year). The wildcard is what DW would do with the cap space (which fortunately should not be much, since most desirable free agents are off the board and the rest should be by the time the investigation concludes). But that type of war chest would allow DW all kinds of room to screw things up via trades as the season progresses. Basically, no way to predict how DW jumps if Kane's contract is suddenly off the books.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
With zero real data to base this on, without Kane I would predict this current team is a bottom 10 team, likely finishing in the 6-10 range. (Basically, a repeat of this last year). The wildcard is what DW would do with the cap space (which fortunately should not be much, since most desirable free agents are off the board and the rest should be by the time the investigation concludes). But that type of war chest would allow DW all kinds of room to screw things up via trades as the season progresses. Basically, no way to predict how DW jumps if Kane's contract is suddenly off the books.

I'll laugh if Kane's contract gets cancelled and the team's response is to re-sign Marleau for another season. That would be the PR thing to do even though Marleau is done. There are some positives that can happen with him here for another season but it's all nostalgia stuff. It does have value but it's certainly not the most competitive thing to do. lol

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
To add to my post above, in today's post, Sheng Peng comments that part of the reason for the issues with Kane are reports that he was late for practices and games, but the coaches did nothing and that impacted young players' attitudes. Sheng mentions that Boughner in exit interview wanted to improve accountability.

That is definitely something that can happen.

Late for practice, held out of game. Late for morning skate, team suspension.
The fact that BB admits he failed at a core part of his job means he should take a hike

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
I'll laugh if Kane's contract gets cancelled and the team's response is to re-sign Marleau for another season. That would be the PR thing to do even though Marleau is done. There are some positives that can happen with him here for another season but it's all nostalgia stuff. It does have value but it's certainly not the most competitive thing to do. lol

That would be a do no harm kind of move that I would be OK with. Any one-year signing to replace Kane, if he is taken out by all of this, would be fine. I would be happier with a rental that we could move at the deadline (or trade for an expiring contract for extra 22 picks). What I am afraid of is DW spending the available cap like a stereotypical teenager with their first credit card. (No offense intended to those teenagers here with better financial sense than DW)

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I wouldn't hate it if it weren't for that pesky consecutive game streak. That basically makes it impossible to take him out of the line-up.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Not really. The atmosphere is bad and anything BB enforces is meaningless since he's a lame duck coach. The players don't respect him because of that which was my point.

Is it players or just Kane? It would be disrepsect if every time BB says something like dont do it again or else but he/they still do. If they just do it and BB never says anything so they keep doing it, its cause they dont care. I doubt its the former since even if you dont care about the coach there are other people noticing ie players, GMs, other teams personnel which would be a detriment to your future

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
To add to my post above, in today's post, Sheng Peng comments that part of the reason for the issues with Kane are reports that he was late for practices and games, but the coaches did nothing and that impacted young players' attitudes. Sheng mentions that Boughner in exit interview wanted to improve accountability.

wow

that’s like… basic stuff

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California

Interesting. If Kane was late to games/practices, he should have been health scratched in previous seasons for accountability reasons. I am very disappointed with the coaching staff for not holding him accountable sooner.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Who knows if the coaching staff had any decision in that matter. DW has been known stick his hands in the mixing bowl every now and then (swapping captains).

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
There weren't really any rumors out there that were saying Boughner had lost the room. This supposed preferential treatment of Kane seems like a thing that would cause tons of rumors like that.

Reactions: Alwalys

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Dude I'm the one who posted multiple times that Kane is a 30 goal 55-60 point player. He also takes a shitload of penalties, more than anyone else in the entire league, bleeding around 6 goals against of value per season just in the time he's been a Shark. That's why I'm saying a 20 goal 45 point guy who DOESN'T take penalties or draws as many penalties as he takes is equivalent in value to a 30 goal 55 point player who's costing you an extra goal against every 10 games just by spending so much time in the box.

You don't even need to sign a free agent to replace Kane. Give Kane's minutes to Meier and I think he would bounce back to his 30-30 form. Then you just need one of Dahlen, Balcers, Leonard, Chekhovich or somebody else to stick in Meier's former role on the second line and score at the 45 point pace Meier was at last season. If those two things happen the team is no worse off than it was last season. If Dahlen or Leonard undershoots and only gives you 35 points in a second line role then you have to find 10 points somewhere else in your lineup...and have $7 million to do it.

On paper that makes sense but it doesn't in real life. Say Meier get's Kane's minutes. That means we have a huge ? as our second line winger. Points is not everything in a hockey player (look at Danault for a recent example), and shuttling in 2 rookies and 2 unseasoned "vets" in Meier's role. If they get 35 points that's f***ing terrible for a second line winger, and it will also be likely that they will be unable to hang defensively as well (speculation).

Sorry dude, but you are so obviously undervaluing Kane's on-ice impact and value. Him taking penalties (and don't think I didn't notice you forgetting that he took like 6 minors in the last 40 games this season) is just one minus on his on-ice resume that you seem to think is more impactful than 30 goals, 55 points, and quality defensive hockey. Kane's 6 GA/season would be something like 3% of the team's total goals against on a good defensive team lol

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
They're still employing the defense/power play coach who led one of the league's worst defenses and power plays. Of course they don't believe in accountability.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
When I first posted in this forum, I didn't know of the latest off-ice issues with Kane. I was looking at his on-ice performance of last season which was very good.

However, catching up on all this off-ice stuff, man, that guy has maturity issues.

Good news is if Kane doesn't come back, next season is a good year to finish in the bottom of the league. I was surprised that Eklund was available this year. Next year's pick (if the Sharks finish in the bottom of the league again) is going to be better.

Last edited:

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
The GM who hasn't won a championship in his 15+ year term is still with the team. Of course they don't believe in accountability.

giphy.gif

... got a point here

Reactions: ChompChomp

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Is it players or just Kane? It would be disrepsect if every time BB says something like dont do it again or else but he/they still do. If they just do it and BB never says anything so they keep doing it, its cause they dont care. I doubt its the former since even if you dont care about the coach there are other people noticing ie players, GMs, other teams personnel which would be a detriment to your future
I think the players on the team are professional outside of Kane not to mention there's a lot of veterans there that have played together for a while. They respect the team enough to not be irresponsible. Kane not so much and that's as much on the coach to keep those cows from drifting away from the herd as it is anyone else. But I also imagine that the players don't like it and don't like the fact that BB isn't doing anything about it.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
They're still employing the defense/power play coach who led one of the league's worst defenses and power plays. Of course they don't believe in accountability.
The one that missed a huge chunk of the season because of visa issues so he barely spent any time with the team/players he was coaching? That coach? Yeah, this is a stupid comment.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Uh, he’s referring to Rocky Thompson who ran the power play and defense…
Forgot they changed up the titles given Thompson has run forwards his whole career. So turns out mine was the stupid comment.

Even then, Thompson is going to be hired as an NHL HC in the next 2 years so it’s still stupid to be bemoaning him being on staff. He was already being interviewed this offseason for HC jobs.

Reactions: themelkman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad