Player Discussion Evander Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
And close to 700 players each season don't miss a single one of them.

so? close to 700 players probably don't get parking tickets either. the fact it's less common a transgression doesn't prove severity

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
I mean, it's not Manziel levels of ridiculousness, but this kind of crap is getting annoying. He has a reputation for a reason.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Honestly, does anyone really care that much? As far as I'm concerned Kane got a clean slate when he came here. This is his first actual transgression -- being investigated for a crime, (not even accused, because the girl is making no allegations) doesn't count -- and it's a pretty minor one.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
While they're questioning Kane's commitment to the team, maturity, and professionalism, I hope our moral authority also takes a moment to look at the guy who crashed his car into a building while driving drunk

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
While they're questioning Kane's commitment to the team, maturity, and professionalism, I hope our moral authority also takes a moment to look at the guy who crashed his car into a building while driving drunk

I was going to mention this. If ROR does something else dumb, then he deserves all the scrutiny thrown at him.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Kane's doing his part more so than all but 3 or 4 on the roster. The winning will come when the dead weight is shed, but in the meantime don't be harsher because moulson has a spot on the team

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

Raising my hand as one who called for a team issued suspension. Missing a practice is less serious than DWI and hit & run, but it's slack ass none-the-less.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
It's funny cause it's not like it happened in the middle of a losing streak. We just won 2 in a row. streeeeek.

I'm in the teammates deal with it, shouldn't affect fans in any way. I myself don't hold these guys to higher standards then the rest of us just because they make more money then most of us. Saying that, the biggest thing he needs to do is restrict who sees his snaps, that's just dumb whether your a well known figure or an average joe.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Raising my hand as one who called for a team issued suspension. Missing a practice is less serious than DWI and hit & run, but it's slack ass none-the-less.

I think this is the root of it for me. It's not super offensive or disrespectful, and it doesn't invalidate the 100% effort he's shown all year on the ice. Yeah, it's a bit dumb, and in breaking team rules he deserves the consequence rather than be treated differently than anyone else. All in all, though:

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
that's a dumber thing than the entirety of kane's "troubles" tho

In the wider scope of life, drunk driving is one of the dumbest things anyone can do. In the realm of hockey, missing practices and annoying teammates/coaches/management is is not helpful to your profession and reputation. To my knowledge, the drunk driving incident has been ROR's only screw up throughout his career. If he has more issues, he'll get a reputation like Kane and Manziel.

So Kane missing practice would be fine if the Sabres were winning? :shakehead

Was it not mentioned earlier in the is thread that Kane's teammates were annoyed that he was not suspended after he missed his first practice? Teammates and coaches tend to overlook transgressions and grievances if the team is winning.

I believe it was Sakic who said that.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
In the wider scope of life, drunk driving is one of the dumbest things anyone can do. In the realm of hockey, missing practices and annoying teammates/coaches/management is is not helpful to your profession and reputation. To my knowledge, the drunk driving incident has been ROR's only screw up throughout his career. If he has more issues, he'll get a reputation like Kane and Manziel.

I know how things *are* but I'm saying it's unreasonable to have that as a standard. ROR could have killed someone and never picked up a stick again.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
So anyone who thinks its Ok for Kane to miss practice because he was out partying, just no call no show to work. I'm sure your boss won't even mention it the next time you come into work.

Kane is paid over $5 million dollars a year. All he has to do is show up to work. That is 82 games, training camp and practices when they are held. Along with some team activities/charities. Not much to expect for what he is paid. This is very disappointing. It seems Kane finally turned the corner and then this **** happens :shakehead

I am all for shipping him out in return for a top 4 LHD 26 or younger. He does not produce nearly enough to withstand the baggage that comes with him... Missing practices , sexual assault investigations etc.

I wanted to like the guy, I wanted him to come in here and be a perennial 30-40 goal scorer but that simply is not in the works. He is what he is.. An inconsistent player who will end up with 20-25 goals, making you yearn for more due to the sublime talent he shows and then of course the baggage. If Kane ever put it all together and concentrated on being a professional hockey player first instead of a "celebrity" he'd be potting 35-40 goals a season.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Man, if I tried to play hockey during work hours I'd be fired so fast

it's almost like comparing athletes to random people re: employment isn't useful

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
I know how things *are* but I'm saying it's unreasonable to have that as a standard. ROR could have killed someone and never picked up a stick again.

I get it.

But as a fan, one incident does not irritate me as much as multiple do. I imagine Kane's colleagues feel the same way. It's easy to look the other way if a teammate does one dumb thing. If it becomes a pattern, then yeah, I'd expect it to be obnoxious for teammates.

If ROR is arrested for drunk driving again, then he should be immediately suspended and his teammates have every right to be pissed at him.

In this context, many incidents are worse than one incident, regardless (usually) of the context of said incident.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
So anyone who thinks its Ok for Kane to miss practice because he was out partying, just no call no show to work. I'm sure your boss won't even mention it the next time you come into work.

Kane is paid over $5 million dollars a year. All he has to do is show up to work. That is 82 games, training camp and practices when they are held. Along with some team activities/charities. Not much to expect for what he is paid. This is very disappointing. It seems Kane finally turned the corner and then this **** happens :shakehead

I am all for shipping him out in return for a top 4 LHD 26 or younger. He does not produce nearly enough to withstand the baggage that comes with him... Missing practices , sexual assault investigations etc.

I wanted to like the guy, I wanted him to come in here and be a perennial 30-40 goal scorer but that simply is not in the works. He is what he is.. An inconsistent player who will end up with 20-25 goals, making you yearn for more due to the sublime talent he shows and then of course the baggage. If Kane ever put it all together and concentrated on being a professional hockey player first instead of a "celebrity" he'd be potting 35-40 goals a season.

Good thing that isn't what happened.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I get it.

But as a fan, one incident does not irritate me as much as multiple do. I imagine Kane's colleagues feel the same way. It's easy to look the other way if a teammate does one dumb thing. If it becomes a pattern, then yeah, I'd expect it to be obnoxious for teammates.

If ROR is arrested for drunk driving again, then he should be immediately suspended and his teammates have every right to be pissed at him.

In this context, many incidents are worse than one incident, regardless (usually) of the context of said incident.

Kane has had one incident as a Sabre. This one. Yet he's not receiving the same treatment as ROR because he had issues at a prior team? You find that fair?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Man, if I tried to play hockey during work hours I'd be fired so fast

it's almost like comparing athletes to random people re: employment isn't useful

Then compare him to his peers, who manage to be at practice and on time and if they aren't, they are aware that they are going to not play which is why the number of players who miss practice in a given NHL season can typically be counted on one hand. It's unprofessional as compared to the rest of his co-workers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad