Player Discussion Evander Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Where a team is in the standings should have zero relevance.

Pretty much this.

Missing a practice is a serious issue. The players have a 3 month offseason most years, plenty of time to get all their personal fun in. It's not an optional team event. Especially considering other off ice issues and his history prior to coming to Buffalo.

Team has to act swiftly and fairly, which they have. Don't do it again and we won't have an issue.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Pretty much this.

Missing a practice is a serious issue. The players have a 3 month offseason most years, plenty of time to get all their personal fun in. It's not an optional team event. Especially considering other off ice issues and his history prior to coming to Buffalo.

Team has to act swiftly and fairly, which they have. Don't do it again and we won't have an issue.

He may just operate by the credo 'it's easier to get forgiveness than permission'. NBA party down the road in Toronto for the All Star Game? Yes, please. When will I get this opportunity again?

We expect elite players like Kane to adopt humility and a facade of humbleness, but we all know ego and narcissism is what drive many of these top performing guys.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Pretty bummed to see that the recent activity in this thread isn't good news surrounding his investigation as I'd suspected.

This just sort of sucks.

Hopefully he learns. Not counting on it.

Minni

Feb 18, 2015
Surprised?? Not ... He is an idiot... There is something wrong with that person, you think rest of the team like him...no way!

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Do you guys think he is a good top 6 player disregarding the sideshow? I kind of think he could make a really good 3rd line player because of his speed and aggression. I've never seen enough from him offensively to think he would make a top 6 other than his best season.

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
Do you guys think he is a good top 6 player disregarding the sideshow? I kind of think he could make a really good 3rd line player because of his speed and aggression. I've never seen enough from him offensively to think he would make a top 6 other than his best season.

He's on pace for 28 goals this year, I believe. He's fine as a 2nd line forward, great as a 3rd line forward.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I think the big thing with Kane is that he likes the puck on his stick. You need to get him on a line with other players where that is OK.

You can't have him playing with another guy that wants to dominate the puck. Like say one Jack Eichel.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

He's better as the catalyst for his own line. Since he's not going to be a better catalyst than guys like Eichel, Reinhart or ROR....he's better for us on the "3rd line" playing with guys like Larsson and Gionta.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Dustin Byfuglien track suit incident should have been his wake up call.

When his new teammates gave him a clean slate. It was just that. It was up to him to reform himself and be part of a team.

This year he's already been caught in two incidents where it's obvious he's burning the candle and isn't focused on his job as he should be.

We can continue to say "no big deal". But it eventually becomes one when your teammates see you blowing off taking the team as seriously as some of them are. Then you get another "track suit in shower" incident.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Missing practice is deserving of penalty. There are provisions to to do that. Every manager in every line of work has to deal with human resource issues and I expect the Sabres will try to monitor him a little more closely in conjunction with his agent. Some folks take longer to mature and athletes especially are coddled in many ways as long as they produce. Is it right? Probably not but he is an asset that needs to be handled to ensure we get value for his contract. Will Kane change? Probably not but I think the brass will handle this just fine.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Dustin Byfuglien track suit incident should have been his wake up call.

When his new teammates gave him a clean slate. It was just that. It was up to him to reform himself and be part of a team.

This year he's already been caught in two incidents where it's obvious he's burning the candle and isn't focused on his job as he should be.

We can continue to say "no big deal". But it eventually becomes one when your teammates see you blowing off taking the team as seriously as some of them are. Then you get another "track suit in shower" incident.

It's hard to take talk of reform and the rest seriously when you lead off talking about wearing a track suit.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Its disappointing. Not really expecting him to learn from it. Just hope he doesn't do it again.

Yep. I'm disappointed. Selfish would be the best way to describe this.

Edit - so much for the slightly improved impression that he's acting in a more professional manner. Kid needs to figure it out, he's wasting his talent and our time.

Last edited:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Yep. I'm disappointed. Selfish would be the best way to describe this.

Edit - so much for the slightly improved impression that he's acting in a more professional manner. Kid needs to figure it out, he's wasting his talent and our time.
Kane is Kane. He is going to live the star life 1st, hockey 2nd.

I don't know when or if he ever grows out of it. If he has a day off, he is on a jet to the next party.

But like I said earlier, if he is having success I won't complain. This is who he is.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Kane is Kane. He is going to live the star life 1st, hockey 2nd.

I don't know when or if he ever grows out of it. If he has a day off, he is on a jet to the next party.

But like I said earlier, if he is having success I won't complain. This is who he is.

He's burned up his cache of good will with me already and we're not even 60 games into his time in Buffalo.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm expecting that Kane got a clean slate after coming here.

Yes he was

This is the first issue that has caused him to miss playing time.

If this becomes a pattern here, I'm sure Murray will ship him out. But, I can see the Sabres viewing this as a first strike here.

First to make him miss playing time. But its not the first time his missed practice due to his night time activities. He missed practice because the sexual assault investigation. The practice was the next day after they got home from a road trip late the previous evening/ early morning. He did whatever he did after getting home and the investigation started up that morning causing him to miss practice.

Paul Hamilton on WGR today mentioned some players were annoyed he wasn't sat for missing the practice and was allowed to play the next game. I don't think this is being viewed by the players as a first strike.

Last edited:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
First strike, second strike...whatever. The organization knew what they were getting with Kane, or stubbornly took the angle of, "well that was Winnipeg, he'll be fine with us".

The organization holds as much responsibility as Kane does for any effects on the team his current/future debacles force upon it.

Kennerdell

Nov 11, 2015
Maryland
The dude is a donkey. I was really hoping that brain would fully develop and gain some common sense. Go have fun on off days or during the offseason. Hunker down and be a person the young guys can look up to. it's time to grow up. I am hoping they have a serious chat with the guy. I would expect this type of behavior from Sam or Jack. New kids with immense talent and tons of dough. Get crazy and do stupid crap. I would sit Kane down and tell him straight up. There are 19 and 20 year olds acting more grown up then you. Send some shame his way.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
lol who cares

scores 5 in 6, but misses a practice once and suddenly the sky is falling

god, maybe he'll get a parking ticket next

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Twice, excuse me. Out of literal hundreds of practices.

It's weird that he's praised for his effort in games, given that he cares so little

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
when you try to toss weak slams from the mod chair at least make them coherent

5 mos from the start of training camp allows 150 days appx for practices to be held. even allowing for days off/optionals/holiday, measured against multiple skates per day, off ice training sessions, etc, I think it's a fair estimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad