Speculation: Evander Kane Trade Looking Back

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
Yeah. There is no doubt Buffalo lost this trade in the long run. Myers was a mess in Bflo by the time he left but seems have really stabilized himself. Armia has turned into a solid player. I actually like Bogosian on the Sabres more than most but the injuries have just crippled his usefulness. That's the one remaining hope, if he can get healthy and be a productive Top 4 defenseman, but I'm not holding my breath.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Murray did a lot of stuff that turned out to be bad for the team, but I'm not gonna blame him for this one and the reason is called Jack Eichel.

If you consider the fact that this trade probably made the difference between Eichel and Dylan Strome, it wasn't that bad for Buffalo after all.
And let's not forget to give kudos to the Jets organization for maximizing the value they got from Buffalo:
Stafford was an upcoming UFA and mostly an enigma while Armia was just about to indicate towards bust lane before they left the Sabres. Myers had been good and continued to be so in Winnipeg, outside of injuries. Lemieux was rumored to not want to sign with Buffalo.

Reactions: WPGNYRFan

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
and having said that he STILL net a tremendous return. He apparently asked for a trade every year in WPG, maybe Chevy sought out deals maybe he didn't, but the fact that teams likely knew he was being shopped didn't diminish the return WPG got for him and Bogo
Completely agree

Copenhagen91

Jan 28, 2016
If buffalo kept the 1st for lehner theyd limely draft the russian goalie sansinov i believe. They trDed for a goLie who was nhl ready now not a maybe 5 yrs later.

As for the Kane trade...

Armia isnt special...he is a di.e a do,en player eveey team has

The late 1st is an utter crPshoot on gettin a player who has a career

Lemieux ws drafted for this trade because they knew winnipeg wanted him.

People want to complain buffalos talent was given away..it wasn't...

At forward buffalo has in its prospect pool...

Bailey, baptiste, fascing, oregan, olafsson, malone, davidsson, asplund, Pu, smith, and few others.

In top 12 forwards buffalo has eichel, reinhart, mittlestadt, ROR, okposo, rodrigues, girgensons, larsson.

At some point too many forwRds can hurt player development.
Have another drink bud..

Reactions: pigpen65

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Another thing was that Kane was out for the for the remainder of the season when the trade was made....so there was really no market for him other than a fool. Murray got fleeced on the trade and took an often injured cash dump in Bogosian in the deal.

Reactions: pigpen65

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Getting out from Bogosian's deal and bringing in more productive Myers who was even cheaper was a big win for Winnipeg. Jets expected Bogo to keep getting better and it didn't happen. They also dont burn money like Pegula will.

The Kane part of the deal is actually pretty fair. Lemieux looks like not much. He and Stafford didn't mean much in the grand scheme. Armia is the kind of player Buffalo could use more of that's for sure.

Trade would have been a win win if Bogo and Myers were left out of it

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Jets would've won the trade if it was just Kane for Myers. Add on Joel Armia, Brendan Lemiuex, Drew Stafford, and Roslivic and Chevy completely murdered Murray. Murray basically turned Myers, Armia, Lemiuex, Stafford , and a 2015 1st into a 2019 1st , and a 2019 4th. Buffalo would be a much better team now with Myers, Armia and Roslivic.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Getting out from Bogosian's deal and bringing in more productive Myers who was even cheaper was a big win for Winnipeg. Jets expected Bogo to keep getting better and it didn't happen. They also dont burn money like Pegula will.

The Kane part of the deal is actually pretty fair. Lemieux looks like not much. He and Stafford didn't mean much in the grand scheme. Armia is the kind of player Buffalo could use more of that's for sure.

Trade would have been a win win if Bogo and Myers were left out of it
It would have still been a win for Winnipeg under the circumstances of the turmoil surrounding Kane in Winnipeg and his injury....even if you are trying to tank...there was no reason to pay the premium price for Kane that Murray did. The good GMs of the league knew that 2015 was going to be a special and deep draft....obviously Murray wasn't one of them...he had 7 picks in the in the top 62 of that draft and only used 2 of them. On the positive....if he would have been a better GM we wouldn't be getting Dahlin this year.

Reactions: DJN21

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I agree buffalo lost easily but let's not remember that at one point bogo had played more games for the sabres than myers had for the jets. It' easy to point to myers looking great on the third pairing while still alive on a playoff team while bogo literally can't even golf. There was a point where jets fans were fine with dumping he oft injured myers and his contract. Now that they are alive and well a revisionist post comes up...is what it is. Apples to oranges so to speak. No doubt sabres take it on the chin but it's also a circumstance type of reactionary thread.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
As long as he signs in Vancouver this off-season I can careless :) I was actually thinking about their return in game 7 vs Nashville tho funny enough lol.

Evander Kane to Vancouver please!

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Zach Bogosian - Looking like a buyout or headed towards early retirement.
Jason Kasdorf - Will likely not be a Sabre, let alone become their starter.
Evander Kane -> Daniel O'Reagan, 1st 2019 and 2020 4th (both picks conditional). Hoping Buffalo wins this trade, but the way they do win is if Kane will sign an extension with the Sharks, which I hope he does because it's been working out well for him. But this trade will take at least five years to judge who wins out of Buffalo and San Jose.

for

Tyler Myers - Wasn't what we needed, but he's doing better than Kane/Bogosian so I'm not complaining one bit.
Joel Armia - Super effective player who is practically a keeper at this point.
Drew Stafford -> 2018 5th round pick
Brendan Lemieux - Could be our version of Marchand
St. Louis 2015 1st - Jack Roslovic - Looking like he'll be our #2C next season.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
One of many Tim Murray victories.

He destroyed the team’s prospect depth and potential (picks) for largely nothing.

Just wait long enough and inevitably you get to a point where everybody knew it all along.

Last edited:

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
It was brutal. He had 3 1sts and a high 2nd in the deepest draft since 2003 and pissed it all away.

Imagine if instead of getting Kane/Bogosian/O'Reilly they trade away Myers, Armia, Stafford, Lemieux, Grigorienko, Compher (keep Zadorov who is looking like he has Vlasic potential) for 2015-2017 picks in addition to what they already had. And have Tampa's or Winnipeg's people run the drafts. They could've grabbed any of Barzal, Connor, Chabot, DeBrusk, Konecny, Boeser, EK, Beauvillier, Roslovic, Dermott, Aho, Carlo, Sprong, Dunn, Andersson in 2015 (literally throw dart a dartboard draft). Then one or more of the highly touted 2016 D (Sergachev/Chychrun/McAvoy), some of their 2nd rounders who are already making an impact such as Girard/DeBrincat or about to (Hart/Hajek). Buffalo could have easily set themselves up to be a dynasty or at least as good of a regular season team as Washington was following their build through the draft Ovechkin rebuild.

This is a roster they could have realistically had going forward if not for Tim Murray being a moron

Aho Eichel DeBrincat
Beauvillier Barzal Boeser
Mittelstadt Reinhart Konecny

Zadorov Ristolainen
Dunn McAvoy
Dermott Guhle

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
sarcasm detectors are on sale at walmart this week for only 19.99
No offense, but I really don't believe that's true. I've looked on the walmart website and I couldn't find such an item.
To be honest, I'm doubting, that such an appliance even exist at this point in time, let alone be for sale at walmart.
Even if it DID technically already exist, you would probably find it at some special interest electronic online outlet for early adopters at a MUCH higher price than 19.99$.

Reactions: Just Lurking Around

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
It would have still been a win for Winnipeg under the circumstances of the turmoil surrounding Kane in Winnipeg and his injury....even if you are trying to tank...there was no reason to pay the premium price for Kane that Murray did. The good GMs of the league knew that 2015 was going to be a special and deep draft....obviously Murray wasn't one of them...he had 7 picks in the in the top 62 of that draft and only used 2 of them. On the positive....if he would have been a better GM we wouldn't be getting Dahlin this year.

All very true. Murray got excited trying to turn it around there right away and Kane just wasnt a well thought out move.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It was brutal. He had 3 1sts and a high 2nd in the deepest draft since 2003 and pissed it all away.

Imagine if instead of getting Kane/Bogosian/O'Reilly they trade away Myers, Armia, Stafford, Lemieux, Grigorienko, Compher (keep Zadorov who is looking like he has Vlasic potential) for 2015-2017 picks in addition to what they already had. And have Tampa's or Winnipeg's people run the drafts. They could've grabbed any of Barzal, Connor, Chabot, DeBrusk, Konecny, Boeser, EK, Beauvillier, Roslovic, Dermott, Aho, Carlo, Sprong, Dunn, Andersson in 2015 (literally throw dart a dartboard draft). Then one or more of the highly touted 2016 D (Sergachev/Chychrun/McAvoy), some of their 2nd rounders who are already making an impact such as Girard/DeBrincat or about to (Hart/Hajek). Buffalo could have easily set themselves up to be a dynasty or at least as good of a regular season team as Washington was following their build through the draft Ovechkin rebuild.

This is a roster they could have realistically had going forward if not for Tim Murray being a moron

Aho Eichel DeBrincat
Beauvillier Barzal Boeser
Mittelstadt Reinhart Konecny

Zadorov Ristolainen
Dunn McAvoy
Dermott Guhle
I agree, however I think the deal for ROR was a good one. He takes all the tough assignments away from Eichel and still is a 60+ pts C

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I hope the Sharks re-sign Kane so that the Sabres can get a 1st. Their fans have suffered enough.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Hey we get to watch Myers and Armia compete for the cup and grabbed Eichel and Dahlin in the process. Without that trade we have Dylan Strome and Quinton Hughes. In hindsight it helped us get 2 elite talents. Obviously the entire city has suffered for awhile and it was definitely a win for the Jets. Hopefully that changes soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad