Proposal: Evander Kane to LA

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
This is the general copout for people who can't admit we're still not at that level yet. Really, what are the chances we beat chi in a 7 game series? I wouldn't think they're that high.

Why do you assume that we need another top 6 scoring forward to take us to where you think we need to be to be able to beat the Hawks in 7 games?

I mean we have the lowest GA in the NHL but some think we need another top 4 dman and other think that we only need one if we have an injury to one of our own. Some see us needing another true top 6 LW to add to the team but we have Brown often playing on our bottom 6 and he has more than proven that he can turn it on and be a very effective top 6 LW during the playoffs so adding another top 6 lw might seem like a good idea but I believe that we have what we need either on the team today or down on the farm getting better with every game.

To me what we need is time for our coaching to catch up with what the BlackHawks are doing that makes them such a challenge for us and that has nothing to do with adding the perfect LW to our team.

We match up line to line with the BlackHawks exceptionally well for the most part. Our top 6 is as good as their top 6 or it is as good as it is going to be unless we make a move that puts King down on our 3rd line or moves one of our established top 6.

1st line
Kopitar V Toews

Regardless of how they match up we aren't likely to move Kopitar.

Carter V kane

Apples and Oranges and if you don't think so there isn't another Kane out there to get so it is mute.

King V Bickell

I'll take King

2nd line

Brown V Sharp

Lets face it when the time comes you won't see DS putting Lewis or Clifford on LW in our top 6. It may happen during the reg but it won't come playoff time. Sharp is a more prolific scorer but that is in their system. I am not saying Brown would do as well Sharp on the Hawks, just saying that we aren't devoid of a top notch player who can match up against Sharp during the playoffs. Sharp is a much less effetive two way player than Brown sort of thing.

Richards V Zuess

Not even worth going into. Richie 100% of the time.

Hossa V Toffoli

Tricky and of course Hossa is Hossa but then Toffoli isn't exactly a can of beans in comparison.

I would say our 2nd line matches up to the Hawks perfectly well.

3rd line

Saad V Clifford

I have to go with Saad but a healthy Clifford would't be terrible either.

Shaw V Stoll

I have to go with Stoll and by a margin

Hayes V Williams Lewis/Frattin etc

Hayes isn't anything special and if they play Bollig etc we match up just fine with our multi headed 3rd RW and believe that Nolan will be our 3rd RW full time for the playoffs. in fact I would be willing to bet that Versteeg V Nolan will be the 3rd line RW match up come playoff time and we will come out on top of that one. but it is still too early to tell.

So our 3rd V their 3rd is at least comparable if not better.

Bottom 6 V bottom 6 is equal all things considered as well imo.

Adding to this we have Pearson who is close enough to ready to where I believe he will be come playoff time along with Vey and Andy all very solid young players who will be able to step in and give us the ability to provide a different look then the Hawks have seen during the regular season as well as the depth needed in case of injury.

To me, if we are to add anyone at or near the deadline I would be looking for someone who can step in and play our system that can skate and has the size needed to punish our opponents regardless of who we are facing.

I see our true need being our coaching staff developing a way to slow the hawks down and to help us better establish our checking system.

I don't think the Hawks beat us due to our players and only think our coaching staff needs the time to keep building our system to be able to adapt to speed teams and we will be fine.

Would it be nice to add a high scoring two way players who can not only fit into our system but be good enough at it to be able to replace King or Brown? Absolutely.

Go out and find one that is available for trade that we would be willing to pay the high price that it will take to get them and let me know who it is because I don't see anyone out there who is capable of doing so.

Last edited:

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
Chicago was buzzing last year, Kane went beast mode. Coyotes took them the year before and Wings almost knocked them out. They're not unbeatable yet it will be tough to beat them. Blues will give them a hard time this postseason.

serenity now

Dec 12, 2009
Lower California
Not going to happen

With our complete roster (including Quick) we are about 25 cents under the cap limit so none of these trades are going to happen unless they are dollar for dollar.

In the cap world, most of our core are locked up at discounts regardless of the term. it is the now that matters. That means, Quick, Brown, Williams, Richards and Carter are all on discounted contracts compared to what they would be worth to other teams. Heck, even Doughty's contract is going to look like a bargain when Phanuef and Subban sign.

We must dance with the date that brung us and I for one am completely fine with our dates

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Some people can not just help themselves.

How about this? Let's not trade ANYONE from a Los Angeles team that has had its best start in franchise history AND is near the top of the league in points halfway through the season!

How about we stop with these stupid ****ing trade proposal threads now?

Close it.

That's right. Why we gotta mess with things...because the chemistry is too good?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
TG,

The Kings do need a left wing for the Richards-Toffoli line, everyone knows it. Clifford and Lewis aint going to cut it.

As for some of the rankings.

Saad is twice the player Clifford is, it's not even close, the kid is developing into a really good player. I don't think it's even fair to compare them to be honest.

I wasn't a huge Shaw guy, but he has been awesome this season. Playing well defensively, agitating, and on pace for 20+ goals and 45 points.

And while I love JC, Kane has been playing insanely well this season.

The Kings simply do not match up to Chicago offensively, not even close, but a 25-30 goal left wing would go a long way in making things closer should the teams play again this spring (which I think is likely).
-------------------------------------------------------------------
As for E. Kane, I agree with the assessment that the Kings should not be gutting their team or future for Evander Kane, the Kings need a veteran left wing or cener capable of scoring 25-30 goals and playing on the 2nd PP unit, it can even be a rental, in fact that's probably ideal.

No way should we be making a huge trade for Kane.

KingKopitar11*

The kings won't get Kane. He's just too expensive. We'd have to give up a right winger and some other prospects. They won't trade quality for quantity. And if you want to be realistic, Williams will go before Toffoli, so if any trade was to happen, it'd start with Williams + 1st+. And I don't know what the other pieces would be.

If you want to get a solid good second line player for Richards you trade for Cammaleri,

1st + Clifford or something around that would get it done can work too.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't think we need to be offensively better than Chicago. We need to be defensively better than their offense.

KingKopitar11*

TG, I like what you said, but having Lewis with Richards is terrible. We do need a left winger, but I'm sure Kane is going to cost a lot. But we do need a winger. We are very good, but imagine how much better we'd be with a simple addition of a player, and sniper, like Cammaleri

KingKopitar11*

I don't think we need to be offensively better than Chicago. We need to be defensively better than their offense.

That's a really hard task. They are so fast and we aren't a team known for speed. So that's what really troubles the kings.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
Pearson+Scrivens+ Kozun+ a pick for Andrew Ladd

I would rather have Ladd than Kane. More affordable in terms of trade and salary.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
TG, I like what you said, but having Lewis with Richards is terrible. We do need a left winger, but I'm sure Kane is going to cost a lot. But we do need a winger. We are very good, but imagine how much better we'd be with a simple addition of a player, and sniper, like Cammaleri

I had to go back and look to make sure but I don't have Lewis with Richards. In fact I think that Lewis is a 4rth line player with us. I would never want to kill what Richards and Toffoli seem to have started to get working by inserting Lewis on his wing.

I guess if Toffi went down and was unavailable to us we would move Williams to his spot. I think that currently we are seeing our coaching staff trying to figure out how best to utilize our current personnel so they can find a way to adjust our system to be at its best to face any/every team.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
TG or anyone for that matter how long before"LARRY the LEFTWING " is ready ? Wouldn't he be the perfect compliment for 10-73 he could protect them and his skating would elevate the lines speed, and when we have possesion in the zone he could go in front of the net with that big body, you know richie will pass and toffoli will shoot and there will be rebounds.........and to those wanting to trade JW for kane I wonder if you have been watching JT this season he is playing extremely well and would be a massive hole to fill come playoff time

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
TG or anyone for that matter how long before"LARRY the LEFTWING " is ready ? Wouldn't he be the perfect compliment for 10-73 he could protect them and his skating would elevate the lines speed, and when we have possesion in the zone he could go in front of the net with that big body, you know richie will pass and toffoli will shoot and there will be rebounds.........and to those wanting to trade JW for kane I wonder if you have been watching JT this season he is playing extremely well and would be a massive hole to fill come playoff time

I think tht with Nic the more time he gets to play LW the better at this point. If I had to make a comparison to his ability today it would be comparable with where Muzzin was when he first came up (of course the exception being that Nic is playing LW). With Morris teaching our kids the system so danged well almost any of our kids can come up and play but to be truly effective it will take time.
Nic is already an NHL caliber skater and understands our system well enough, he just needs time to learn LW and get up to speed with his new position.

That doesn't mean he won't be able to come up at or around the start of the playoffs and be a good contributor (like King and Nolan were when we brought them up). Its tough to say exactly when but I think it could be as early as next season but likely the following season would be better.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Evander Kane is not coming to LA. This trade makes zero sense.

Cammalleri would be an offensive weapon, but has a $6 million cap hit. I don't see who goes back to keep the Kings under the cap.

Matt Moulson makes a lot of sense. Cap hit just north of $3 million. Good size at 6 foot, 200 lbs. If they part ways with Ryan Miller, they might want to audition Scrivens. Clifford + Scrivens + 3rd or 4th round pick?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

Cammalleri would be an offensive weapon, but has a $6 million cap hit. I don't see who goes back to keep the Kings under the cap.

Matt Moulson makes a lot of sense. Cap hit just north of $3 million. Good size at 6 foot, 200 lbs. If they part ways with Ryan Miller, they might want to audition Scrivens. Clifford + Scrivens + 3rd or 4th round pick?

Buffalo is going to want a lot more than that. Don't really see them wanting a goalie or a fourth line concussion prone player.

I believe our 1st this season would be in play, or any young player with the exception of TT.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether

I don't think anyone believes that Kane would come to L.A. for several reasons. I don't think we need or are getting an O upgrade or at least not anytime soon if at all.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
TG,

Just curious why you are of the opinion the Kings don't need an offensive upgrade on the 2nd line.

The Kings have been using Trevor Lewis and Kyle Clifford in that role, do you really think that can work in the playoffs?

Something has to be done, whether it's bringing Pearson back up or making a trade.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
TG,

Just curious why you are of the opinion the Kings don't need an offensive upgrade on the 2nd line.

The Kings have been using Trevor Lewis and Kyle Clifford in that role, do you really think that can work in the playoffs?

Something has to be done, whether it's bringing Pearson back up or making a trade.

I am not saying we don't need an upgrade on 2lw, what I am saying is that we don't need to go outside to get one. I have never said that CLifford or Lewis should be anywhere near our 2nd line this season, not at all. In fact, I have my doubts about TL being a regular 4rth liner for us or at least one that we haven't other options for that could be better.

I don't think we will go into the playoffs with CLifford or Lewis or really anyone other than Brown on the 2nd line LW and while he isn't the best we can do offencively I can accept a line of Brown/RIchards/TOffoli (or Williams or Carter depending on how things are going by then).

To be direct, I don't understand why DS and co are even wasting our time with guys like TL or KC on the 2nd line. I don't think for a second that we will go into the playoffs with any of those guys or even their type (bottom 6er) anywhere near our 2nd line.

I also don't believe that we need to go outside our org to upgrade the position. That's what I said in my response above and what I believe to be where we are at today.

We need to settle our 2nd line LW spot but we have time and the player or players in our own org to fill the spot. That is why I did that whole comparison post about us and the Hawks.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Pearson may be able to play that spot by the end of the season.

Kid just needs a little more time in the AHL.

Pearson needs to make big strides this AHL season. It would make Dean Lombardi's job a lot easier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad