News Article: Evander Kane - The players tribune

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Two things always stuck with me about Marleau, the year after we went to the cup final it was the first game of the season back I think. It was him and Joel Ward fighting for a puck along the boards at center ice, and Ward was already ready to go to battle, and Marleau didn't even try and he looked at him like, come on dude!. The other is I literally in all my years NEVER saw Marleau stick up for anybody or come to somebodys defense. He's a great player no doubt, but im just saying when Roenick shows up at your door at thanksgiving or whatever theres something lacking. Whereas Kane stood up for somebody in his first few games on a brand new team. That's all im saying. Anyways, RUDY RUDY RUDY!

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I hope he stays this positive. I don't love his contract, but he seems to have found his niche here. Hopefully he can be the misfit that helps the underachievers finally win the cup!

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Two things always stuck with me about Marleau, the year after we went to the cup final it was the first game of the season back I think. It was him and Joel Ward fighting for a puck along the boards at center ice, and Ward was already ready to go to battle, and Marleau didn't even try and he looked at him like, come on dude!. The other is I literally in all my years NEVER saw Marleau stick up for anybody or come to somebodys defense. He's a great player no doubt, but im just saying when Roenick shows up at your door at thanksgiving or whatever theres something lacking. Whereas Kane stood up for somebody in his first few games on a brand new team. That's all im saying. Anyways, RUDY RUDY RUDY!

What sticks with me is the fact that Marleau is top 10 all-time in game winners during the regular season and the playoffs. I'll take that kind of heart over whatever kind of heart you and JR are talking about. When JR shows up at your door on Thanksgiving, you respond exactly like Marleau did and send the crazy person on his way. I can't believe someone wants to cherrypick a guy after spending 20 years here pretending like he doesn't have heart.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I remember Marleau fighting Bieksa back in 2011. Dude got wrecked so it was probably a good idea for him to avoid that aspect of the game.
I was never a big Marleau supporter, but I do recall him sticking up for teammates at times, just not in the center of the physicality.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Oh PRETEND like I didn't say he wasn't a great player. Okay 5 miles crazy has to respond to everything in the known universe.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Oh PRETEND like I didn't say he wasn't a great player. Okay 5 miles crazy has to respond to everything in the known universe.

I didn’t say you said he wasn’t great. I specifically made reference to you crapping on his heart level.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
I saw Marleau at Target once, he is a common man unlike Santa Row strolling Kane.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I remember Marleau fighting Bieksa back in 2011. Dude got wrecked so it was probably a good idea for him to avoid that aspect of the game.
I was never a big Marleau supporter, but I do recall him sticking up for teammates at times, just not in the center of the physicality.

He didn’t even get wrecked that bad. Bieksa was also one of the best fighters in the NHL at that time and is still a very strong fighter.

Marleau literally was an extremely hard working player who was physical in key moments and stood up for his teammates. He literally just had a low key attitude and didn’t wear his heart on his sleeve but he had so much passion and worked so hard.

What evidence is there that he doesn't?

I haven’t heard anything about Kane’s off-ice dedication and fitness habits. Marleau, on the other hand, was totally known for it.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
He caught Bieksa with a couple. Lost for sure, but held his own.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
He didn’t even get wrecked that bad. Bieksa was also one of the best fighters in the NHL at that time and is still a very strong fighter.

Marleau literally was an extremely hard working player who was physical in key moments and stood up for his teammates. He literally just had a low key attitude and didn’t wear his heart on his sleeve but he had so much passion and worked so hard.

I haven’t heard anything about Kane’s off-ice dedication and fitness habits. Marleau, on the other hand, was totally known for it.
Literally.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Yeah one fight and he was swinging like a blind fighter, that's your evidence. Okay. He's a great goal scorer no doubt, but I do agree with Roenick here. When he left for Toronto for more money to finish out his career on a new team that will take another 3-4 years to get playoff exp anyways, I don't know. I think he only stayed with the sharks that long was because Thornton wouldn't be signing contracts without him at times. He didn't deserve the title mr shark just because of tenure, if anyone it belongs to Thornton who is STILL adamant about finishing his career in SJ.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Really happy for Kane. It must suck to feel unwanted, and picked on for bogus attitude issues.

I still don’t loooove his contract, but definitely not because he came with it. Let’s just hope he absolutely kills it going forward and makes 7mil look like a sweet deal.

I don’t think he was unwanted in Buffalo.....just the time and place. Kane was a good player and teammate in Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad